Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If labour were to win the next election, do you think they will change the tuition fees bk to the normal £3k a year?

Also when is the next election?

Thanks for your contributions.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think they will, I imagine privately they are happy the Conservatives/Liberal Democrats did it and they didn't have to take the damage for it because chances are they would have done the same. And they could take the Student vote at the same time but get out of changing Tuition Fees potentially arguing whats done is done.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I doubt the financial implications will be massive if they decide to remove it, at least in the short term, as student loans tend to be repaid (when they are paid at all) years after the end of the course. Graduate Tax is also an option they may look into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    If labour were to win the next election, do you think they will change the tuition fees bk to the normal £3k a year?

Labour were the ones who launched the Browne review in the first place.
    He initially recommended that universities should be able to charge unlimited fees, but the Conservatives slapped a cap on it.
    Funny how looney left wing students forget that when they're rampaging through London, ransacking Tory HQ, throwing fire extinguishers at policemen and desecrating war memorials.

ReputationRep:
    the next election is in 2015 at the latest.

ReputationRep:
    Labour were the first to table the idea. Mandelson even admits they would have definitely done the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by Rainbow249)

Labour are unlikely to make any major changes to the tuition fees increases. All three major political parties today are, essentially, parties of the right and of capitalism. There's little point in looking to labour to rectify the neoliberal agenda that is being implemented right now, regardless of what they might say, they have been co-opted by money and monied interests to the extent that difference between labour and the coalition is mostly rhetorical now.

The next general election can be no later than 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    No I don't think they will, I imagine privately they are happy the Conservatives/Liberal Democrats did it and they didn't have to take the damage for it because chances are they would have done the same.
    Pretty much this. Labour are complicit in the neo-liberal consensus in Westminster, regardless of however radical "New New Labour" choose to portray themselves in the next few years. I expect they'll spend a few years taking potshots at the nasty Tories and traitorous Lib Dems and when they get back into power we'll see a continuation of the Thatcherite policies that have been the core of every government's agenda since the iron lady herself, tuition fees included. Don't look to Labour for salvation.

ReputationRep:
    Remember Labour broke their manifesto pledge when they decided to treble the cap to £3k.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.