Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon, if my friends read this then it'll just be awful and reveal my tsr username!

Basically, I like a guy. I've liked him for ages and he's become one of my close friends now. The problem is that I fancy the pants off him! And he really doesn't feel the same way back.
    We spend so much time together, and today he made a crude joke and was like "ah its cool you're one of the lads anyway!"

Omg! Does this mean that he'll never ever fancy me? I mean it's not often guys fancy one of their lads right?! Argh! How do I move away from this friend stage?!
    I'm not even particularly laddy at all, I'm actually quite girly and he knows this! Maybe he sees me as a lad because we're quite open about our sex lives, people we fancy etc with each other!?

Help!

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't fancy you, awww diddums :console:

But if you're that bothered, just subtly come onto him when you and him are drunk.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

That was a quite weird comment to make.

ReputationRep:
    Next time, say something like 'but I don't want to be one of the lads! I wouldn't want you of all people to think of me like that...' and then wink at him or something cheesy like that.

PS, I'm really not caring much about this LAD scene that has developed

I dont want to appear desperate!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, I say this to one of my chick friends all the time, never serious though ( I only ever say lad in a joking sense). Unfortunately for you it does seem an indication that he's not in to you.

Only way I can think of to get rid of this that will actually work and still not cut contact with him, is to hang around other guys and get interested in someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont want to appear desperate!
    It won't appear that way if you're subtle. Subtlety tends to fly over most mens heads. Desperation would be you going up to him and saying 'I want you in my pants and I won't take no for an answer. And then we will date.'.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon, if my friends read this then it'll just be awful and reveal my tsr username!

Basically, I like a guy. I've liked him for ages and he's become one of my close friends now. The problem is that I fancy the pants off him! And he really doesn't feel the same way back.
    We spend so much time together, and today he made a crude joke and was like "ah its cool you're one of the lads anyway!"

Omg! Does this mean that he'll never ever fancy me? I mean it's not often guys fancy one of their lads right?! Argh! How do I move away from this friend stage?!
    I'm not even particularly laddy at all, I'm actually quite girly and he knows this! Maybe he sees me as a lad because we're quite open about our sex lives, people we fancy etc with each other!?

Help!

That statement means nothing. It's just a bit of a joke/banter

But he alwaaaays speaks about other girls/sex/dates etc.

ReputationRep:
    Give up now, young one, all is doomed for you, unfortunately he's clearly not interested but you may as well drop some hints. It's not like he'll suddenly go off you, but if it turns weird then just pretend you were joking.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't rule out that he may be trying to get a reaction out of you by saying these things. It is pretty hard to tell and there is no harm in asking. If he says he doesn't see you like that then I am sure he will be happy for you to continue being friends. Even if he says no, you will be surprised how much more comfortable your friendship will become

How do I make it seem though that I am interested?! He's waaay too comfortable and indeed graphic with me about other girls

ReputationRep:
    How do I make it seem though that I am interested?! He's waaay too comfortable and indeed graphic with me about other girls
    Still possible trying to get a reaction..

Say something direct like 'I have been having this thought for a while now so I may as well say it. Do you think you could ever see me as more than friend?' If he says no then just say, 'never mind, I am happy that we can be friends ' Neither of you speak of the incident again and you will hopefully feel more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Hug him or keep eye contact for a bit too long? Just get him thinking

Edit: smile too, don't want to give him a very wrong idea.

ReputationRep:
    i very much doubt he will want an actual relationship with you, but he'might go for **** buddies. it's at least something :dontknow:

I mean if he hangs around with you he doesn't find you repulsive, so if you come onto him one night, he may reciprocate but yeah, i wouldn't get your hopes up.

I don't call any girls "mate" let alone "one of the lads" and i definitely wouldn't do that if i liked them.

Would any of you date a girl you saw as "one of the lads"?

ReputationRep:
    I have used variations of that as banter and I still would..

ReputationRep:
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself and either follow my advice or forget about him. Things happen when people are drunk, and clearly you can't think of any better way to go about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.