The Student Room Group

Reporting Fraud

Hi guys,

I'm a bit stuck. I'm currently sharing a house with a French national. He moved over to the UK from America to start his degree (at a good uni) last year. He has somehow managed to get student finance as a UK student despite not living in the UK for the last 3 years. For instance he took a one year associate degree in America in 09/10 academic year. I have also found out he is claiming housing benefit (not disabled etc) despite being in full time education.. He also got money of a hardship fund (~750) despite having 2 jobs. He ran up alot of debt in America and he is using that to facilitate his claims of 'hardship'. I've also seen letters lying around for him applying for credit under the auspices he is english not french. Luckily the banks aren't that stupid and rebuffed it. In short he is a serial liar.

I decided to inform his university in the end and the local council. The housing benefit was pretty much the last straw! His uni got back to me and said that I would have to be disclosed as the source of the information if they were to go down the formal complaints procedure, which with important exams coming up I said no. I said after I left I wouldn't have minded. Instead I provided the correct google search to get the websites they need confirming a lot of what I'd said about living in US etc. Can they still take action against him even if I don't wish to give up my identity i.e. class the websites as the source of the information?

Also how would you go about informing the SLC and how long would the process in making any decision roughly take?

Thx.
Reply 1
Those bloody frogs, coming here and stealing all of our money! :mob:

Seriously though, do you know the true reasons about why he's doing it? Does he seem guilty or is he handing out £50 notes like they're sweets?

If you feel strongly about what he's doing, then do something about it, but do know that you'll be ruining his life were you to say something. If you can live with that on your conscious, then go for it.
Reply 2
Haha thx. Basically so he can have a jet setting lifestyle. New York 2x a year, Dubai (7* hotel). I knew about the other stuff. I didn't mind until the housing benefit. He once asked me if you could claim while a student to which I said NO! Its not like after that he could play the dumb foreigner card.

This person only cares about himself. I don't they've even asked me how I was once, before spouting off about the most trivial stuff like needing to go to the PO. He seem to think he is entitled to everything, our money, my ears.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending