Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

An often quoted fact is that the vast majority of the CEO'S of FTSE listed companies are male. This fact is generally quoted as an example of gender inequality with an emphasis on it being unfair and down to discrimination. Do you reckon this is discrimination or just the best people getting the CEO positions and men are just better at the top level?

Men dominate many unbiased things at the top level, in fact men dominate the elite level of almost everything, of course all the physical stuff but also chess, science, engineering, cooking, poker, quiz shows like mastermind etc. Is this a self-fuelling phenomenon, i.e. because it's male dominated it's hard for women to get into or genetic or something to do with men trying to get laid by being really good at things?!

Well no one can deny that some sexism still exists in the workplace that prevents women from rising up management, which in turn will effect how many CEO and boardroom level women there are.
    However the idea of quotas that the government is floating is ridiculous. If there aren't any qualified women then there aren't any, companies shouldn't be forced to hire or promote a woman for the sake of it.
    And I notice Man-Hating Ultra Feminist Harriet Harperson only ever complains about the lack of Women on the boardroom. I wonder if she will be pushing to have this this quota extended to binmen, plumbers, farmers and construction workers where women are also under represented.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.