Turn on thread page Beta

couple of questions about Australia watch

ReputationRep:
    Ill keep it brief. I have been offered a work placement in Australia for a year and would like to ask the following:

What are living expenses like compared to the uk?? (ill be working in melbourne)

Going from the uk, will it be a huge culture shock??

Ill probably get a lot of hate comments for this but im gonna ask it anyway. Ive been hearing that Australia has a repuatation for racism towards foreigners especially non whites,im of pakistani descent (before u go on at me im only reporting what i heard). Can anyone with any knowledge report if this is the case??

What does an Aussie night out consist of??

And finally, do u guys call it footbal or soccer ??

Ive always wanted to go to Australia

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    From watching a couple of episodes of Relocation, Wanted Down Under etc. etc. I remember living expenses were slightly higher in Aus.

Not sure about the other quesitons though.

ReputationRep:
    I think Australia is quite expensive.. Well, from what I have read it seems to be more expensive than, say, Asia - which may be quite understandable. I remember reading another forum and people were saying that around 1000-1500 a month is an alright amount, depending on where you stay what you like to do etc. Out of interest, how did you get the work placement? Is it through a job you already have?! Hope you enjoy it !

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of emigrating, Australia has a 1 year working visa system if you are between a certain age (18-30 I think), which is a simpler visa to obtain than the full visa to emigrate. I'm not sure if you have to have a career that is 'in demand' to get the 1 year visa though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shroob)
    On the subject of emigrating, Australia has a 1 year working visa system if you are between a certain age (18-30 I think), which is a simpler visa to obtain than the full visa to emigrate. I'm not sure if you have to have a career that is 'in demand' to get the 1 year visa though.
    To get the Working Holiday Visa you need to be between 18-30, have no criminal record, have enough funds to support yourself for the first few months, a flight back/funds to buy a flight back to the UK later. It's really quick and simple to apply for, all done online. You don't need to have any specific skills or career experience...

To the OP - no, it won't be a big culture shock, but the culture will be different enough to make it interesting!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mel0n;30394367]I think Australia is quite expensive.. Well, from what I have read it seems to be more expensive than, say, Asia - which may be quite understandable. I remember reading another forum and people were saying that around 1000-1500 a month is an alright amount, depending on where you stay what you like to do etc. Out of interest, how did you get the work placement? Is it through a job you already have?! Hope you enjoy it ![/QUOT

As part of my degree i have a one year work placement (accounting and finance). Theres an organisation called BUNAC. Using their services I was able to secure a one year visa enabling me to work in Australia and was able to secure an internship with KPMG. It was easier than i thought cuz Accountants or any type of occupation in the financial services are in high demand there. Got my tickets booked to melbourne via singapore (il be stopping over there for 2 days) so its all good . If im correct, when its winter here its summer there and vice versa correct me if im wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, every time I watch the border force thing on tv, I see a whole lot of Pakis.
    Shouldn't be too racist over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidNiGht_eXpREss)

As part of my degree i have a one year work placement (accounting and finance). Theres an organisation called BUNAC. Using their services I was able to secure a one year visa enabling me to work in Australia and was able to secure an internship with KPMG. It was easier than i thought cuz Accountants or any type of occupation in the financial services are in high demand there. Got my tickets booked to melbourne via singapore (il be stopping over there for 2 days) so its all good . If im correct, when its winter here its summer there and vice versa correct me if im wrong.
    Yes, seasons are opposite. December/January is the height of summer in Australia, like our June/July.

Don't know if you realised though that you didn't have to use BUNAC to get the visa - you could have just applied for it online direct with the Australian gov.

Well done on securing an internship though! Have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Yes, seasons are opposite. December/January is the height of summer in Australia, like our June/July.

Don't know if you realised though that you didn't have to use BUNAC to get the visa - you could have just applied for it online direct with the Australian gov.

Well done on securing an internship though! Have fun
    ty . I realise that now. but they also get you flights at a reasonable rate aswell. although it would have worked out cheaper in the long run if i did it myself but i did this all in the excitment of the moment lolz

ReputationRep:
    As long as your happy with the deal you got thats all that matters - nothing you can do now. Sit back, wait for the flight and have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you after living in Australia for 16 years, the UK is much more racist than Australia. Australia is the most multicultural English speaking country the world has to offer.

And we call it soccer (unfortunately). If you are good at soccer and get along with people well there are plenty of middle eastern friendly blokes who play soccer on the weekends and hang out in some suburbs. So once you go there get out there and play!

Hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyLlama)
    I can tell you after living in Australia for 16 years, the UK is much more racist than Australia. Australia is the most multicultural English speaking country the world has to offer.

And we call it soccer (unfortunately). If you are good at soccer and get along with people well there are plenty of middle eastern friendly blokes who play soccer on the weekends and hang out in some suburbs. So once you go there get out there and play!

Hope that helps...
    Thanks . that actually puts me at so much ease.

ReputationRep:
    Probably, you'll do better with women for having an exotic accent.

ReputationRep:
    The racism thing is limited to a small redneck minority. As a general rule, even the more redneck types tend to shout and scream about 'bloody immigrants' etc in the public arena, but they don't actually then apply any of this to people they meet in the street (who they'll be perfectly polite to). As others have said, Australia is extremely multicultural.

If you're working, you'll be fine with expenses. I would say as an Australian that the UK is much more expensive! The pound isn't as good as it used to be, but the exchange rate still favours you guys. Depending on how expensive your accommodation/rent is, $1,000 to $1,200 per month will have you living very comfortably (with plenty of beer money. The tolerance levels of Aussies go down if you're not being seen drinking booze with them).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.