Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Utah just became the first state in the U.S. to criminalize miscarriage and punish women for having or seeking an illegal abortion. Utah's "Criminal Miscarriage" law:

* expands the definition of illegal abortion to include miscarriages
    * removes immunity protections for women who have or seek illegal abortions
    * treats women as presumptive criminals and leaves them open to criminal prosecution

But even among states that punish illegal abortions, this "Criminal Miscarriage" law is unique. It not only punishes individuals who perform illegal procedures; it punishes women.
    This law:

* defines legal abortion as a procedure "carried out by a physician or through a substance used under the direction of a physician." Anything else that terminates a pregnancy is now defined as illegal abortion - including miscarriages.

* states that "The killing or attempted killing of a live unborn child in a manner that is not abortion shall be punished as...criminal homicide." (emphasis mine)

* removes existing immunity from criminal prosecution for women "who seek to have or obtain an abortion" or "upon whom a partial birth abortion is performed."

* applies the legal standard of an "intentional, knowing or reckless act of the woman" as punishable as criminal homicide.

Translation: If a woman has a miscarriage but didn't know that she was pregnant, she cannot be charged with criminal homicide. So while this law does not criminalize all miscarriages, anything that could be defined as "knowing" or "reckless" would leave a woman at risk for criminal prosecution.
    Read the full article here http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AF...minal-Homicide.

Thoughts?

Edit: This article is from early 2010 but I think the law is still in place.

ReputationRep:
    http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillenr/hb0012.htm

74 (4) A woman is not guilty of criminal homicide of her own unborn child if the death of
    75 her unborn child:
    76 (a) is caused by a criminally negligent act of the woman;
    77 (b) is not caused by an intentional, knowing, or reckless act of the woman.
    RABBLERABBLERABBLE

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, " 08 March 2010, Governor Vetoed "
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm assuming by "knowing or reckless" it means engaging in an act that to intentionally bring about a miscarriage. Like punching herself in the stomach repeatedly or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not overly surprised. It is Utah after all, not exactly a haven of progressive thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Mormon mongos

ReputationRep:
    Bloody lunatics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I'm not overly surprised. It is Utah after all, not exactly a haven of progressive thinking.
    Utah - Salt Lake City - Mormons.

That went through my head initially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Utah - Salt Lake City - Mormons.

That went through my head initially.
    Yup pretty much . Heck, the Latter Day Saints church didn't allow black priests until 1978, so I'm not overly surprised about this miscarriage law given the rampant social conservatism of the place.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why Americans go on about how Sharia will be imposed by Obama when they have their own homegrown religous weirdos doing these stunts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Bloody lunatics.
    I think the people who are coming out of this thread looking stupid are the ones who simply believe an unsourced 'article' on a crappy website about something at face value. The claims made in the first post in this thread are completely inaccurate.

Firstly, to analyse the Bill - the web address has been given by a previous poster - it does nothing that is claimed here:

1. It does not criminalise miscarriage. Indeed, it even expressly dispels any accusation of guilt for an offence is a mother's miscarriage is brought about by not seeking medical treatment or by any sort of negligence.

2. It does not criminal legal abortion.

3. It does not criminalise anyone seeking abortion (quite how the OP imagines they could do that, yet have abortion as legal in the state is beyond me)

To address a point made by the 'article':

"Translation: If a woman has a miscarriage but didn't know that she was pregnant, she cannot be charged with criminal homicide. So while this law does not criminalize all miscarriages, anything that could be defined as "knowing" or "reckless" would leave a woman at risk for criminal prosecution."

I'm not sure what sort of illiteracy could lead to this conclusion. Yes, a "miscarriage" (in the medical and technical sense of the word, not the ordinary sense of it as being an uninduced death) would be a criminal offence if it was induced by a knowing or criminally reckless act - essentially performing an abortion outside of the law. So what? Inducing a miscarriage except in accordance with the Abortion Act 1967 is a criminal offence in the United Kingdom too.

It annoys me when people are quick to believe conspiracy theories without doing the most basic research of their own. I mean really, why on earth would anyone trust such an 'article'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Yup pretty much . Heck, the Latter Day Saints church didn't allow black priests until 1978, so I'm not overly surprised about this miscarriage law given the rampant social conservatism of the place.
    It does come across as a more morally conservative state. Although, I'd assume that's changing in the cities.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.