Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ahhhh, need advice on firm/insurance choices. Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am planning on studying a maths degree next year at either Loughborough or Southampton. I have an offer from each; ABB and AAB respectively. I should get both sets of grades, but I cannot decide which university I should go to.

I went to Loughborough a few weeks ago and loved it. Yesterday I went to Southampton, and I liked it, but not as much as Loughborough.

I need advice on where to go. I know Southampton on paper is a better University and that it is in the Russell group, and I was wondering how much difference this would make to an employer. Would they mind if I had a first from Southampton or Loughborough? I feel like if I'm somewhere where I enjoy I'm far more likely to do better, and I guess that a first from Lboro would be better than a 2:1 from Southampton.

There are other things too. Loughborough will give me £1000 for three A's, but I feel like I can do better than go to a University who only offer ABB. However, Lboro told me at the open day that they will be putting their offer up next year to AAA, and were planning on doing so this year, but missed the deadline.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Needless to say, I am very conflicted right now!

ReputationRep:
    Money is tempting init one of choice told me to give me 3000 if I put them as firm and got AAA. I still won't. and I am thinking to firm University despite getting an offer from slightly higher ranked University. Go to which ever University makes you happy and get a good grade. I doubt you would learn less if you went loughborugh than if you went to southampton (I could be wrong). I see going to a Uni as a chance to learn and have a great time. For some reason I don't think at all about employment prospect. The reason I would rather go to a good university is because I want to be taught by good teachers that knows their subject well. Sort out what is important to you may be write it down and rank it.

ReputationRep:
    They're both really good unis, and I think you should go for the one you prefer because that's where you'll be having to spend the next 3 years. Even if you can feel you can do better than the grade requirement offer, that doesn't always reflect the univeristy! (I got an offer of ABC/BBB to study at Durham, and BBC for Lancaster!)

As the person above said, the money is also another tempting factor, but overall the cost of living in Loughborough is cheaper and it's close to Nottingham for the big nightlife scene too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom29whu)
    Hi,

I am planning on studying a maths degree next year at either Loughborough or Southampton. I have an offer from each; ABB and AAB respectively. I should get both sets of grades, but I cannot decide which university I should go to.

I went to Loughborough a few weeks ago and loved it. Yesterday I went to Southampton, and I liked it, but not as much as Loughborough.

I need advice on where to go. I know Southampton on paper is a better University and that it is in the Russell group, and I was wondering how much difference this would make to an employer. Would they mind if I had a first from Southampton or Loughborough? I feel like if I'm somewhere where I enjoy I'm far more likely to do better, and I guess that a first from Lboro would be better than a 2:1 from Southampton.

There are other things too. Loughborough will give me £1000 for three A's, but I feel like I can do better than go to a University who only offer ABB. However, Lboro told me at the open day that they will be putting their offer up next year to AAA, and were planning on doing so this year, but missed the deadline.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Needless to say, I am very conflicted right now!
    I don't know about maths specifically but in general loughborough still has a pretty good reputation, its not like your choosing between somewhere right at the top and somewhere right at the bottom in terms of prestige/league tables/rep or whatever, and you are going to have to live there for 3 years of your life, so I would suggest if you prefer it go to loughborough! Also remember entry grades aren't just representative of how good a uni is, but also the competitiveness of the course your applying to there.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice so far... can anybody give me an idea of how much employers care in situations like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flippin-Mad)
    I don't know about maths specifically but in general loughborough still has a pretty good reputation, its not like your choosing between somewhere right at the top and somewhere right at the bottom in terms of prestige/league tables/rep or whatever, and you are going to have to live there for 3 years of your life, so I would suggest if you prefer it go to loughborough! Also remember entry grades aren't just representative of how good a uni is, but also the competitiveness of the course your applying to there.
    according to unistats, loughborough is better for maths than southampton... what you said about them being similar unis is the way I'm trying to look at it. reputations aside, I think id choose loughborough without too much deliberation...

ReputationRep:
    according to unistats, loughborough is better for maths than southampton... what you said about them being similar unis is the way I'm trying to look at it. reputations aside, I think id choose loughborough without too much deliberation...
    I just had a quick look on uni stats and according to that loughborough has a fair bit higher job prospects as well as a fair bit higher student satisfaction, so based on that it doesn't seem like going to loughborough would damage your employment prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I faced a similar decision with Birmingham & Manchester.

Birmingham said if I got AAB they'd give me a scholarship + grant equalling up to £2.2/3k (which is brilliant tbh) but generally Manchester's Business School is more known and is ranked higher than Birmingham.

I ended up picking up Birmingham in the end, yes the money offer is nice but separate imo. I mainly picked Birmingham because it had the advantage of the placement year and its closeness to London which means I can keep my job in London.

Maybe map out all of the pro's and con's (thats what I did) on a piece of paper and look at other factors such as accomodation costs, nightlife, student life and satisfaction etc. Remember your gonna be there for the next 3/4 years so consider everything. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a quick look on uni stats and according to that loughborough has a fair bit higher job prospects as well as a fair bit higher student satisfaction, so based on that it doesn't seem like going to loughborough would damage your employment prospects.
    is that for maths grads or everyone?

ReputationRep:
    is that for maths grads or everyone?
    it was for maths/stats grads

ReputationRep:
    Go to L'bro if thats where you want to go. No point being miserable in Southampton for three years.

ReputationRep:
    it was for maths/stats grads
    Great, thanks a lot for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.