Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want a career change and I’m thinking about returning to university to do a Masters degree in order to initiate it. Why? Well I feel I have a useless degree which has no real job prospects, just fantasy ones!

The problem is, I don’t know which career/masters degree to choose? I know one thing though, I do not want to make the same mistake twice and end up doing another useless degree. The problem is of course, it is very easy to think your doing a great degree (due to university propaganda) but in reality your degree will not gain you any real-world jobs. Take the following example, university will say “Take an environment degree! Caring for the environment is very important and it is a fantastic career opportunity!” WRONG! This is not true! Environmental job do not exist! Perhaps in 20 years time, they might, but as of right now, they don’t! There exists no such job, search through job searching websites and I can guarantee you won’t find environment jobs! Because they don’t exist! The industry hasn’t developed yet and if you ask all sorts of businesses, there exists no such positions within their business for these matters! In other words, it is a pointless degree.

I’ve made this mistake once (with my degree-design) and I’m determined not to do it again (with a Masters/Career change). That’s why I know I have to chose a Masters that is practical with realistic jobs at the end of it! So far I’m thinking business style degrees, as these have real-world jobs at the end of it. But I need to do more research to make sure.

Your thoughts and views?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, there's not much point in doing a degree, especially a masters, if you don't have a real passion or drive for a subject. It costs so much money, and you still might not have any career plans at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the above. BUT if you still want to do one, business is a good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe07)
    In my opinion, there's not much point in doing a degree, especially a masters, if you don't have a real passion or drive for a subject. It costs so much money, and you still might not have any career plans at the end of it.
    This. Business is a good option but as you say you've gotta make sure what it's all about.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of doing a Masters Degree you could also consider a MBA given that you have somewhat relevant work experience. I dont consider a Masters Degree as merely digging deeper in my chose subject, but it is also a great way to network.

In my opinion it's quite hard to advice on programmes without you being more specific regarding your interest. "Business" is very broad and there are a ton of variations of it, incorporating other aspects as well. I recommend that you think it through carefully to make sure you end up with something you actually enjoy - as someone mentioned earlier, it is a significant investment and ontop of that, if you are not passionate about your PG subject it will just be a waste of time and money.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Why do a Masters'? Because it sounds more flash? Go back to grass-level and look at college courses too, some do take older students and get a part time job on the side. Did you expect someone simply to tell you what to take and you'd instantly be convinced it was something you'd love and there'd be loads of opportunities? Like you said, it's a lot of advertising and propaganda. You haven't even said what A Levels you have. If you said, you could have had a much more tailored answer to what you can get. You can give Architecture or Infrastructure- government always looking for these people- or match it with Art to become a teacher which all have job prospects after your rant up there! Do wider reading around potential subjects and contact the university if the course content is actually what you want to do. No point taking a Science if you only love Biology but hate Chemistry and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Do something you have a genuine interest in. Some Universities offer 1 year masters conversion courses in things like law, computer science etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.