The Student Room Group

Microgynon pill to Rigevidon anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was switched from Microgynon to Rigividon and for the last 2 weeks I have experienced crushing depression. I finally managed to speak to my doctor today, I told her my concern and from there the conversation went like this:

She said Rigividon is exactly the same as Microgynon, just re-branded.

I said I know myself pretty well and this was more severe depression than I've ever had.

She said well the trouble is it's very hard to find Microgynon now, I recommended you try the new one for another month and see how you get on.

I said no I'm not willing to risk feeling like that again, I've always been fine on Microgynon.

To which she got stroppy and said fine I'll leave you a prescription for Microgynon and hurried me off the phone.

So it must have been a lie about rebranding Microgynon to Rigividon. Microynon must still exist if she can prescribe it so quickly! And she doesn't seem remotely interested that I have just experienced crushing depression, doesn't want to discuss that further even tho she claims it couldn't possibly have been the pill which caused it!!!!!

Feeling very let down!
Reply 41
Hey,

I don't want to bore you all with the same post but yeah, same story - on Microgynon for years, I went on holiday and got my mum to pick up the prescription for when I got back (I left my new packs at university so I am mid-pack) and they gave her/me Rigevidon. Not happy doesn't cover it. Not only did he not consult me about it, he didn't even give my mum any instructions to pass onto me so for all he knows, I know nothing. You'd think all these doctors were giving us cold medicine that might not work, not, you know, pills that stop us from making actual babies.

Anyway before I get too angry, here's my actual question - can I change from Microgynon to Rigevidon mid-pack? Like, I'm about half way through the month and I need to take a pill today but I have no Microgynon left so can I take Rigevidon?

I don't expect anyone to actually know because it seems like the doctors don't even know much about it but if anyone could help me out soon as possible, I will eternally be in your debt..

Thanks!
So glad I came across this thread!

Same story as everyone else really! Was on Microgynon happily for about 3 years, went to get my prescription about 2 months ago and was suddenly handed Rigevidon and told it was the same thing (although i was sceptical)

I have been taking Rigevidon for about 2 months now. Have been experiencing chronic depression, sleeping all day and then all night- not wanting to get out of bed, crying all the time and terrible moodswings. It is not normal PMT!
Feel like I have been taken over by someone who is not me and its really getting me down :frown:

I couldn't think why this would be happening and the only change has been the pill I'm taking so thought I would google it to see if by chance people had experienced the same things!

I will defiantly be phoning my doctor in the morning!
Reply 43
Hi All,

Like many of you on here, I am so pleased to have found this thread.

I changed doctors in November and went to get a new prescription and it was only at the pharmacy that I released it was for Rigevidon. Considering I was sat with the doctor when she wrote the precription she failed to even mention she was not prescribing microgynon. Even when I rang for a explantation all she said was that it was the same and put the phone down...Helpful!

Anyways, since then I've had crushing period pain like I did when I didn't take anything, headaches all the time, I've put on nearly a stone in weight and constantly feel bloated and to top all of that off, I get severe thrush in the last week of the blister pack every month!

I've now booked an appointment to see a doctor this week and get put back to Microgynon!! How can this be the same if so many people and getting these kind of side effects?!
Well... I've taken mycrogynon for 5 years, no problems even with missed pills. Switched to rigevidon about 3 months ago, fell pregnant on the 4th November. No missed pills and managed to conceive on my period. Which is outrageously odd because I just wouldn't go there! To rub it in even more I'm in a LDR! So I manage to put my pill to good use about once a month!
And I didn't even get told its a cheaper alternative, I got told "they have just changed the name they do it every so often" ...

:|
I was moved to rigevideon from microgynon in December. I have been on microgynon for about 10 years with no problems. The first packet was ok no problems. I then carried straight onto a second packet to miss my 7day break which I was told by GP was fine to do.

Since then I became quite stressed which is really unusual for me. I am generally calm all the time. I began to get pressure headaches, no pain but was constantly having to clear my head by popping my ears. I then started to get waves of nausea. I experienced tingling and numbness in my hands, arm, feet and even at one point my left cheek and lips. The pinnacle was when I woke up in middle of the night with my right arm completely dead, and I couldn't see or focus out of my left eye. My vision is pretty good and even holding my phone to my face I could not read what was written on it. I went to A&E and have now been referred to the stroke clinic just in case.

i stopped taking the pill after this experience and saw my GP. She told me to stop taking it immediately as my blood pressure was too high 137 over 98. I am now on blood pressure pills, aspirin, having blood and lipid tests, as well as further tests in the stroke clinic and potentially a neurologist. I have now been experiencing symptoms for 8days and only just beginning to feel better. I have had to take time off work, I was due to fly to Canada today but can't due to my symptoms. I am having to have naps during the day too.

my case may be quite extreme, i guess everyone's body reacts in different ways.
I was changed to this recently and I suppose it was for the same reason but the nurse didn't say... Anyway, she failed to tell me about the continuing to take the new set of pills afterwards and I read the leaflet afterwards but I was already on the fake bleed when I was given the new pills and obviously I didn't have any of the microgynon left..... Keahfgkjhadkjffbshfbkbgehbnghasbfadb!!

I swear my moods have been really different on the new pill.. And to top it off I started to bleed halfway though the course of the first month and I didn't forget to take any of my pills... I feel all messed up now :/
I'm so glad I found this thread.. but now I'm absolutely terrified. I've been on Microgynon 30 for about 6 years now, and have never had any problems whatsoever. I had my prescription renewed on Monday, and I was switched to Rigevidon. The nurse told me that Microgynon had just changed their name, so that was a lie..

My last Microgynon pill is tomorrow, then I'm due to to start Rigevidon after my 7 day break. I'm now so scared of taking it - I have so much going on in my life right now that I just can't risk constant headaches, mood swings, erratic bleeding, exhaustion, and especially weight gain after I've just spent the last 10 months working really hard to lose 4.5 stone. Or even worse, pregnancy like sammyjade92! I'm really not happy about this!
You're not meant to take the 7 day break when you move onto Rigevidon, you just start it straight on from your last microgynon pill.

Original post by donotrefreeze
I'm due to to start Rigevidon after my 7 day break.
Reply 49
Also similar situation. Have been on Rigevidon for a month and a half and have been feeling extremely low and emotional over the past few days; keep crying and have no motivation. Have also been having trouble sleeping, very annoying as exams coming up and it's such a hassle to go back to the doctors to sort this out, especially as they normally say to stick with it for three months before switching again :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
You're not meant to take the 7 day break when you move onto Rigevidon, you just start it straight on from your last microgynon pill.

From what I'd read on this thread, because the ingredients/hormone levels in Rigevidon are the same you should just act as if you weren't taking a different pill at all (hence having the 7 day break as normal). And like others here, my nurse didn't tell me to skip the 7 day break when she changed me over so...
Reply 51
Original post by AmyyBeth
If you take Rigevidon right through without the 7 day break then you wont come on your period :smile:

If you don't come on your period does this mean you could be pregnant?
Reply 52
Hi guys,

I only just started taking the pill 2 months ago, iv just started the last strip of pills in my pack, and I assumed my emotions was just me getting used to actually being on the pill, mixed with final year of university stress, but i'be literally been crying most days! If i'm up, im brilliant but if i'm down i literally just sit and cry for hours on end until i don't even understand why i'm crying anymore!

Do you think I should go back to the doctors and explain? Or is this normal when you first start taking it after never having had the contraceptive pill before? I don't have pregnancy worries, I only started taking it because of the pain I was getting before.

Any advice would be great :smile:

ps. thought i'd just making it clear, its Rigevidon that i'm on and have been since the start!
I was moved to rigevideon from microgynon in December. I have been on microgynon for about 10 years with no problems. The first packet was ok no problems. I then carried straight onto a second packet to miss my 7day break which I was told by GP was fine to do.

Since then I became quite stressed which is really unusual for me. I am generally calm all the time. I began to get pressure headaches, no pain but was constantly having to clear my head by popping my ears. I then started to get waves of nausea. I experienced tingling and numbness in my hands, arm, feet and even at one point my left cheek and lips. The pinnacle was when I woke up in middle of the night with my right arm completely dead, and I couldn't see or focus out of my left eye. My vision is pretty good and even holding my phone to my face I could not read what was written on it. I went to A&E and have now been referred to the stroke clinic just in case.

i stopped taking the pill after this experience and saw my GP. She told me to stop taking it immediately as my blood pressure was too high 137 over 98. I am now on blood pressure pills, aspirin, having blood and lipid tests, as well as further tests in the stroke clinic and potentially a neurologist. I have now been experiencing symptoms for 8days and only just beginning to feel better. I have had to take time off work, I was due to fly to Canada today but can't due to my symptoms. I am having to have naps during the day too.

my case may be quite extreme, i guess everyone's body reacts in different ways.

What happened in the end as i am getting similar symptoms to you and not sure on what to do about it as im just about to start my exams?
I have started taking the same pill for just under a month was previously great with mycrogynon.. over the past week i have been feeling dizzy, nausea, tired, no motivation, numbness in my left arm, trouble breathing, and pains in my abdomen, and chest pains..i didnt think anything of it untill i read the leaflet and am now extremely worried and dont know what to do...anyone else getting these symptoms?
Oh and to top it of i constantly want to sleep but cant seem to fall asleep or constantly wake up
I went on Rigevidon back in January and for the first 3-4 months had some pretty violent mood swings, felt pretty depressed half the time, had occasional nausea, and felt really tired fairly early in the afternoon, like 4pm.

Most side effects have subsided now, I still get a mood swing now and again but nothing like before. The main thing is I'm not pregnant, which is a plus :biggrin:
What happened in the end as i am getting similar symptoms to you and not sure on what to do about it as im just about to start my exams?

Hello - I stopped taking rigevidion and the symptoms gradually cleared up over the next few weeks.

I went for tests at the stoke clinic - all came back clear. I had an MRI scan - this came back clear. I've seen a neurologist once and am going back again in a couple weeks. So it doesn't seem like any long lasting damage thankfully

All my GP's believe the severe reaction I had was due to changing over to rigevideon. If I were you, I would stop taking it immediately and go tell your GP.

I can't see how rigevidion is the same as microgynon. I had no problems for 10 years on microgynon, and within just under 2 months on rigevidion I had every symptom listed on their side effects.

Now, I am no longer allowed to take any oestrogen based contraceptive, so have just started taking Desomonno a mini pill progesterone only - so far so good!

Good luck, It will get better i'm sure
Reply 57
Okay so like the rest of you I was on M30 for 3 years and no problems! I have nearly been on RIGEVIDON for 3 months now and I'm starting to get very sore breasts which I've never had before? Is anyone else experiencing this? It is hurting only on the side of my breast closest to my armpit both breasts. I'm really not happy about this as I'm one of these people who now I think I'm pregant or something. My perdio is due next week but can my body still tell when I'm due even though I'm on the pill?

help please xxx
I was on Microgynon for about 2-3 years, which was prescribed from my doctor at home - no problems. When I moved to University, I was on Ovranette but I didn't really take it regularly and didn't notice any side effects. Earlier this year, I took it for 3 months and had the worst depression! This subsided mostly after I went off it. I was totally out of control, wept uncontrollably etc.

I've now just started a 6 month course of rigevidon after a 2 month break from Ovranette. But this thread is scaring me a little!
Does anyone know if rigevidon is strong enough to carry on taking (without break) and not come on your period?

Quick Reply

Latest