Turn on thread page Beta

Microgynon pill to Rigevidon anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadija Balde)
    I'm on microgynon my last day will be 4 December and I want get pregnant? It's possible I be?
    yes it is possible i advise you to wait a week after not taking the pills so it gets out of your system so your chances of getting pregnant are higher

ReputationRep:
    A pill is just as effective as any other one. It's just some toxic hormones ending up in water supply and changing sex of fish and men.

ReputationRep:
    I have had the same problem I went to the doctor and requested to have more of my yasmin pill which I have never had any problems with. The doctor told me that Rigevidon was much better. I explained that over the years some pills have not agreed with me. Can I not make my own decisions with what I feel comfortable with? I have now found that I am spot bleeding irregularly and starting to feel moody

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaceyFacerton)
    Hey, I've been on microgynon for nearly 7 years and yesterday when I went to get my prescription I was given Rigevidon. The pharmacist reassured me that it was exactly the same as microgynon, just a different manufacturer. I did a bit of research online and it seems it is cheaper for the NHS. So I guess Microgynon will eventually be phased out so no point trying to change Rigevidon... I guess I'd just feel more comfortable with what I know, 'if it's not broken why fix it'... Has this happened to many other people??

Also, I was reading the info from both Microgynon and Rigevidon and they both said, when starting a new combined pill to not have a seven day break after the old pack finishes and to just continue with the new pill and wait till after the 21 days of the new pill to have your next withdrawal bleed. Nice of the pharmasicit to tell me that...*sarcasm*! Did anyone else get told that when they were given Rigevidon? I would have read the info regardless, but with a new pill the pharmacist should be telling girls that as some may think it's fine to have their last microgynon bleed and then start Rigevidon. I don't know what the implications would be by doing that as the info sheets didn't say... But they wouldn't say it if it shouldn't be followed...
    Surely though it would not be necessary to start the pack straight away as Microgynon and Rigevidon have exactly the same amount of hormones so it's essentially not even starting a new pill? Just a different brand name basically. I just switched too though and that's very annoying if it could have risked me getting pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    I've was put onto Microgynon 30 by the hospital after my periods became so painful and so heavy and its helped loads. Went to the doctors at my uni to get my perscription and they've changed me. WHY? My periods wernt as heavy or as painful, and i had no side effects. When i questioned the doctor she just said 'oh its more common', i dont care if its common, the hospital back home put me on Microgynon for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me as after reading this full thread and having an odd pre-period state, I'm worried. For the first time in my life, my boobs hurt like mad, I'm feeling a lot more emotional than normal for me, and I've constantly been eating this last week. I'm now in full-panic mode, as I'm one of those women who always panics before her period, thinking she may be pregnant, because there's always someone known who's fallen pregnant on the pill according to everyone.

I moved to university in September, and before December my Microgynon 30 tablets supply ran out (I've been on M30 for almost 5 years and no problems whatsoever). I went to the university GP who was lovely and helpful, but he switched me to this Rigevidon pill, and as they've already tried this before (I managed to convince the pharmacist to give me Microgynon instead, as I hate change), I tried to stop it happening, but he was adamant and still prescribed me the new pill instead of Microgynon.

Only now have I thought it a good idea to check my pills because my 7 day gap has started (last pill taken was Thursday), but now reading this, I'm worried I'm no longer protected. I'm very strict and set in a routine with my pill-taking and it is never taken late, and I never have unprotected sex during my period, but I'm still worried not going straight to Rigevidon and taking my break is going to ruin my cycle.

I have fairly light periods, and no side effects, and I don't want this to change, as mentally I'm very headstrong and composed, but reading this thread has highly worried me that this all may change.

Can anyone explain whether or not I'm making a mistake having my 7-day break between the old and new pill types, and whether my symptoms are being worsened because I'm worried?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    So nice to know I'm not alone on this! I was happily on microgynon for nearly two years, worked brilliantly as both a contraceptive and reducing period bleed. Three months ago my nurse tells me that I'm being swapped on to rigevidon; not to worry as it's the same active ingredient as microgynon so I didn't challenge it. Within the first month I found myself getting headaches and becoming very anxious and emotional. Three months down the line whenever I break for the seven days the headaches become worse. I've given it a fair trail but microgynon never gave me any adverse symptoms so I'm going back to my Gp and asking to be put back on microgynon. I hear that they're saving about a penny per pack every month- I will happily pay the penny difference to save myself from having all these awful headaches. I would highly recommend that if you've been on microgynon before and like me, it suited you fine to just put your foot down if they try to swap your pill! Remember that it's your body!

ReputationRep:
    I was on microgynon for 11 years then got swapped to Rigevidon and thought I was going mad. My boyfriend thinks I'm making it all up as I don't want to be on the pill anymore but since being on Rigevidon I have experienced the following:-
    Terrible period pains/ stomach cramping of which I have never suffered with.
    Constant itching
    Outbreaks of spots a lot worse on my back.
    More headaches.
    And my mood swings and feeling really low is terrible.

After reading this forum I can see I'm not the only person and feel better for this. Like I said my partner doesn't believe me and it upsets me.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on mycrogynon for 10 years. I have just been changed over to Rigevidon and I've not felt this depressed since I was a teenager. I'm 31 now!!

ReputationRep:
    Erm.... has anyone not had a bad experience when changing over? I'm due to change over from Microgynon to Rigevidon in 5 days and I really don't want to change if I'm going to get these awful symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    I've been taking rigevidon for about a year and a half. It's what I was prescribed when I first started taking the pill but today when I went to pick up my prescription they gave me microgynon because they'd run out of rigevidon. Kinda nervous to switch after reading this thread but I've never had any problems with rigevidon either so I guess different pills just affect people in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    So glad i found this! Feeling terrible run down, dizzy, nausea, horrible mood swings and stomach cramps. Been on Rigevidon for about 4 months first month fine but recently all these symptoms did a preg test just incase- negative and went to the doctors and advised my symptoms so shes booked me in for blood tests and said if that doesnt come back with anything she will look at changing my pill. That was yesterday and now halfway through a pack and i have started bleeding even though not due for another 2 weeks. Thought i was going crazy or something was really wrong so feeling a bit relieved

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else I am so so glad I found this thread!
    I have been taking microgynon for about a year, the first moth was quite rough but then it evened itself out and has been brilliant, however 4 weeks ago, my GP would not give me a repeat prescription of m30 unless I went for a blood pressure test, when I did, he prescribed me rigevidon instead and told me that they are exactly the same product but under a different name. One week in I started having brown discharge and seeing old brown blood on the tissue after going to the toilet, after two weeks of this I went to see my GP again as this has never happened before not on Microgynon. He said he felt that it was hormonal changes from starting a new pill, which I didn't understand because if it is the same product then why should the hormones be different?? He told me to take a pregnancy test to be sure and it was negative. I still have not stopped spotting, it is still very light but now fresh blood, I have had nausea, tender abdomen, bloating, awful mood swings, poor hubby has had to put up with emotional outbursts, moodiness which is never like me as I usually feel quite chilled and I am nervous about being intimate in case anything happens, if this hasn't sorted itself out after my withdrawal bleed I will definitely be going back and asking for microgynon again, very upset and annoyed at having a cheaper product palmed off on me when our health is at risk!

ReputationRep:
    I was offered M30 but told once it had ran out it would change to rigevidon so I opted to just start with that. I was on before I had my son and my symptoms have been the same except the mood swings! One minute I'm fine and the next I'm either crying or shouting and swearing over the stupidest things - both my son and partner try their best to ignore it but it really gets me down and I constantly seem to be apologising, it's like I can see myself but can't stop myself from reacting that way! It doesn't happen for the whole of the cycle, just the first 4 or 5 days but I could really do without - I'm the one that's so laid back I'm almost horizontal so for it to affect me this way it must be bad!

ReputationRep:
    Just found this forum I was on microgynon for about 12 years like many others then switched to rigevidin about 18 months ago. Although I haven't had any symptoms like some of you I have just had. Pulmonary embolism which has been put down to the contraceptive pill! I am 46, fit -walk 2-3 miles a day with dog, don't smoke, don't drink and not overweight, so I question why now and was it due to changing pill?

(Original post by Jasper14)
    Okay so like the rest of you I was on M30 for 3 years and no problems! I have nearly been on RIGEVIDON for 3 months now and I'm starting to get very sore breasts which I've never had before? Is anyone else experiencing this? It is hurting only on the side of my breast closest to my armpit both breasts. I'm really not happy about this as I'm one of these people who now I think I'm pregant or something. My perdio is due next week but can my body still tell when I'm due even though I'm on the pill?

help please xxx
    I've had the exact same problem, do you feel like your breasts have grown too? As mine have. So pain, just hoping it'll settle down

ReputationRep:
    Ever since changing to rigevidon my periods have been very light and lasted only a day or two. Last month my period lasted four days and I'm due to start taking the pill again tomorrow but have had no period on my pill free week but only some coloured discharge.

I have had sex this month maybe twice, both times with a condom and haven't missed any pills. I started a new job this month which drastically altered my sleeping pattern, so I'm wondering if that's why I haven't had one.

I know the only option is to take a pregnancy test but needed a bit of a rant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they are the same so you don't need to have no break as there's no difference. i got changed from micogynon to rigevidon too. some doctors have stopped giving microgynon as it's more expensive than rigevidon

ReputationRep:
    I was the same. No mention from either the doctor or chemist about not taking break. I feel as though I am constantly eating on this pill having changed from Yasmin as it was flagged up as causing blood clots?

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad that somebody else has had this problem. My pharmacist gave me the same thing when I have been on Microgynon for about 10 years. It freaked me out and I think it is changing my body.

I had a panic last month because I did not have a period. A pregnancy test came up negative and am now sure this is down to the different pill. I have not been told to take this pill any differently and didnt even get told I was being issued Rigevidon instread of Microgynon.

I am due to come on again this week and hope it happens otherwise I will be going in and moaning to the surgery.

I think that patients should be told if we are getting our medication changed!

(Original post by FaceyFacerton)
    Hey, I've been on microgynon for nearly 7 years and yesterday when I went to get my prescription I was given Rigevidon. The pharmacist reassured me that it was exactly the same as microgynon, just a different manufacturer. I did a bit of research online and it seems it is cheaper for the NHS. So I guess Microgynon will eventually be phased out so no point trying to change Rigevidon... I guess I'd just feel more comfortable with what I know, 'if it's not broken why fix it'... Has this happened to many other people??

Also, I was reading the info from both Microgynon and Rigevidon and they both said, when starting a new combined pill to not have a seven day break after the old pack finishes and to just continue with the new pill and wait till after the 21 days of the new pill to have your next withdrawal bleed. Nice of the pharmasicit to tell me that...*sarcasm*! Did anyone else get told that when they were given Rigevidon? I would have read the info regardless, but with a new pill the pharmacist should be telling girls that as some may think it's fine to have their last microgynon bleed and then start Rigevidon. I don't know what the implications would be by doing that as the info sheets didn't say... But they wouldn't say it if it shouldn't be followed...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.