Turn on thread page Beta

[QUOTE=FaceyFacerton;30380433]Hey, I've been on microgynon for nearly 7 years and yesterday when I went to get my prescription I was given Rigevidon. The pharmacist reassured me that it was exactly the same as microgynon, just a different manufacturer. I did a bit of research online and it seems it is cheaper for the NHS. So I guess Microgynon will eventually be phased out so no point trying to change Rigevidon... I guess I'd just feel more comfortable with what I know, 'if it's not broken why fix it'... Has this happened to many other people??

I have also been in this situation just three months ago when my Dr decided she was going to give me Gedarel and told me that it is the same thing. It may indeed have the same composition but it is most definitely not the same pill at all. I have been using Marvelon for nearly 10 years on and off with no side effects and in the 3 months of using Gedarel I have had nearly every common side effect possible.

One of the thing that you should really be paying attention to is the rate of common side effects. Marvelon is 1 in 100, Gedarel is 1 in 10. If you ask me that makes it a less safe pill to be on. You can find all this information on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL).

If you are experiencing any side effects you can also report this to the Yellow Card Scheme online which is there to monitor the safety of all types of medicines. https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

There is also a little thing called Reproductive Rights, we all have the right to make decisions regarding reproductive health free from discrimination, coercion and violence. It appears though that most Dr don't seem to consider that just changing your pill prescription with out consultation coercion. It's actually worse if you ask me as they are not allowing us to choose for ourselves.

Good luck and if you want to be on your previous pill then go back to your Dr and tell them to give you what you want, the more people still using the pill the more likely they will be to keep manufacturing that pill when there is a demand for it.

I decided to come off the pill completely after all this messing around it can't be good for you. I've spent 4 years on the pill and had several different types, first Yasmin, then Gedarel, then Microgynon, then Rigevidon then Microgynon again and for the past month I have been pill-free.

The benefits just don't outbalance the risks anymore for me, the main benefit was lighter and less painful menstruation but I don't mind about that anymore and don't want to be full of fake hormones all the time as I'm sure it messes with my mind a bit. Probably especially after being given so many different ones too. I can honestly say that this past month I have felt better mentally. I've been more motivated, active and happy but that could be due to different factors also, although I believe the pill has contributed to this.

I've had a cold though which I never usually do, and my recent ear piercing became red and inflamed which could suggest that my immune system is recovering and beginning to act normally again (the pill can suppress your immune system). But everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are all being a bit dramatic here. Google the ingredients for both pills. Check what each is consisting of, and the amounts. You will find they're both the same. they couldn't call it Microgynon because that would be copyright and the new company producing these new pills would be in trouble- hence Rigevidon. This is something that happens in other medicines. The medical world is forever creating and researching new things and if they are going to find a way of making exactly the same thing but with smaller costs, they will do it! (After all, the government gives out free contraception so they have to keep the costs down somehow.)

If it is something that bothered you why would you not bring it up with your GP/Nurse upon them prescribing you with this particular pill? This pill will NOT stop your period exactly the same as Microgynon won't. The only way of stopping a period would be to continue on to a new packet instead of having a break.

It is completely normal for women to experience side effects on the contraceptive pill regardless of how long you have been taking it for. For instance I have been on the pill for 7 years and I've never had any problems up until a month ago when I missed a period. the next period I had I came on 3 days earlier than usual. This is NORMAL. We are women who's bodies are made to carry children. If you have taken the pill correctly and you experience a side effect you may not of had before then don't worry. we aren't robots, it just means that sometimes our bodies react differently as they do will all different things. This could be the time of year, your general health and even flying can make these slight effects so just chill.

So long as you are taking the pill correctly and haven't missed a pill or had any illness (sickness and tummy upset) then your pill is still working and doing its job.

If however you begin having unfamiliar side effects such as pains in legs, severe headaches etc then go back to your GP.

The problem with us females is that we like to worry- I'm guilty of it too!

But with regards to the whole Microgynon/Rigevidon different pill thing- IT IS FINE!

ReputationRep:
    I was changed from microgynon to rigevidon a couple of weeks ago on the day that I finished my last packet of Microgynon and was due to start my pill free week. The pharmacy had stapled a note to the prescription saying they are the same just different brand name. Understandably I read the leaflet and did some research, saw the same message about having no break and all the horror stories of switching and I admit I panicked. I called the Doctors and was told I would be getting a call from my Dr that day to, this didn't happen. I just used logic, the are the same thing so keep taking them the exact same way. Luckily my Dr responded to a complaint I emailed in and confirmed that its basically the same as buying own brand paracetamol instead of Nurofen, its the same just cheaper, so keep taking it in the exact same way.

I did have a momentary panic this morning cos I've been feeling bloated and a bit crampy. I only started taking Rigevidin 5 days ago and started to think it was this. But when I think logically its probably because I've not been sleeping well and have been drinking too much caffeine, which started before I started the new pill.

Try not to panic about the switch, its normal for you to get side effects from a pill you've been on for years. And if in doubt go speak to your Dr, its better to get an answer from a professional and spend half an hour at the Drs then spend months worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the mircogynon for 2 years, then the doctors had changed me to rigevidon I've been on them for about 2 months now, I'm not getting on well with them! I'm always feeling upset and angry, snapping at my fiancé and family members, Ive put on weight they make me feel like I'm always hungry.
    My periods are never right, it's either really late or I'm bleeding whilst taking them and then when I comes to my break id only bleed a little.
    Taking this is quite stressful with the way it plays with your hormones.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god! I'm so happy I found this thread!

Exactly the same thing has happened to me! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

All I can say is push your doctor into given microgynon, this rigevidon is NOT the same thing at all. I used to be a healthy weigh, happy and no pain during my periods.

Now I've gone up nearly 3 dress sizes, I'm grumpy, random crying and depressive out bursts, tons of pain (sometimes I can't even move), and I'm forever tired!

ReputationRep:
    I was on rigevidon for a few years in my early teens with no problems until I started to suffer from bad anxiety and depression. I came off of rigevidon to see if I would feel happier, and I did so I stopped taking it. I then started taking cerazette instead but it didn't work out well for me because I kept bleeding, so I decided to try out rigevidon again just to see if it was rigevidon affecting my moods, and if not I would carry on taking that again. I was taking it for two weeks when my boyfriend asked me to stop taking it because I couldn't stop crying and was moody all the time. I was so low, I began feeling anxious about stupid things and I could not stop crying! pretty much everyday. Now I'm at a bit of a loss and may try the injection but am also feeling much happier. Rigevidon can make you crazy!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everyone
    for all of you wondering about Regividon. Im not in the same position, I wasn't on any pill before i started taking it but I followed the instructions and had unprotected sex on the 10th day I was on Regividon (because I didn't start it on the first day of my period and it that case they say to wait for at least 7 days). Surprisingly for me my sex drive came back within a week or so (was having some stress and troubles before that) and my skin became clearer very soon. Then during my 7 day break I miscarriaged (3 weeks) so I conceived while on the pill. I'm not sure what shocked me the most the fact that I fell pregnant or that I miscarriaged. It all happened too quickly and I didn't even know Im pregnant, was expecting just a regular false period but it turned into a bloody horror I have not missed a pill and was taking it same time every day.
    I thought i should share this since so many of you are having troubles with it. My question is wether it's 'strong' enough and does it's job properly...
    Best of luck to all of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julie1997)
    I was on the mircogynon for 2 years, then the doctors had changed me to rigevidon I've been on them for about 2 months now, I'm not getting on well with them! I'm always feeling upset and angry, snapping at my fiancé and family members, Ive put on weight they make me feel like I'm always hungry.
    My periods are never right, it's either really late or I'm bleeding whilst taking them and then when I comes to my break id only bleed a little.
    Taking this is quite stressful with the way it plays with your hormones.
    i have resently realised my pill has been changed i was unaware that it had been changed i was not told in any way it was not until i felt very low chest pains angry tired and almost depressed that i tryed to find out what was wrong the pill is the only thing i take im in good health and family life has not changed so i checked iit and found it had been changed and each start to a new pack linked with these feeling i was told they are the same and questioned by my doctor on life at home i felt like they were making me feel crazy but with me insisting everything is fine she moved me back to microgynon so they still have it when asking the phamacist he said they are the same but the bonding agents can be different and possible that is causing this so fingers crossed i feel better if i dont im probably going crazy lol

ReputationRep:
    is anyone actually happy on rigevidon? need reassurance.. reading this thread is making me really paranoid that when i get my moments, its rigevidon making me depressed when thats probably not the case !

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly this since swapping to the rigevidon too!

ReputationRep:
    Same ingredients in both its just that rigividon is a cheaper version. I was told that by a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The first few months of being on rigevidon were not good. I experienced extreme stomach pains, seriously heavy bleeding, and serious mood swings. It gradually got better after about 4 months, but I have put on over half a stone in weight, have serious mood swings, and still have bad stomach pain, much worse than I had before. It's manageable, but still contemplating coming off it for good, but worried about what will happen as a result of that

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have been on the mycrogynon pill and during my 7 day break my doctor have me the rigervidon pill. I started this pill on the 8th day - will I be protected from sex straight away as it is a new pill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer17x)
    Hi. I have been on the mycrogynon pill and during my 7 day break my doctor have me the rigervidon pill. I started this pill on the 8th day - will I be protected from sex straight away as it is a new pill?
    They both have the same ingredients so you should be, i got switched a while back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been on microgynon for 10 years with 2 successful breaks to have children. I have never had bad period pains, moodiness or depression and always had moderate periods. After having my daughter last year I asked for the same pill and was dispensed Rigevidion instead. I have some pharmaceutical knowledge due to my job as a vet nurse (did pharmacology at uni) and so checked out the leaflets and discovered they contained the same levels of hormones. I just thought it was a different brand of the same drug and carried on...after 6 months of heavier periods, awful headaches, moodiness, period pains and feeling downright depressed for several days each month (affecting my family life) I decided that it could no longer be just baby-blues type changes and something needed to change so asked to go back on microgynon to see it it was the pill making me like this or some other reason...only when I got the prescription it was Rigevidion AGAIN! Another problem I had was feeling pregnant each time I had the 7 day break (bloated, sick in the morning etc..) this had never been a problem before and I have never been through so many pregnancy tests not even when I wanted to be pregnant!
    Have made another gp appointment (another 3 weeks to wait) to try and make sure that I will only ever get microgynon again...even if I have to pay a prescription fee for it I'm not worried so long as they put me back to my old self! In the mean time I'm pill free and calm although I think my husband is worried baby no.3 will be coming along soon :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem I've came off my Rigevidon pill for my 7 day break an it's now my 5th day in and I still haven't had my period, shall I get a test

ReputationRep:
    I was on microgynon pill for 8 years and had no problem on it ,then all of a sudden I went to pick my prescription up and got given a completely different pill called rigevidon! I am extremely worried now as I have heard a family member only 20 years of age was taking the same pill and had a bloit clot in her heart she was so lucky to be alive! Also heard someone dying from same thing being a blood clot also on the same pill. Has any one else heard about this?

URGH, I was on Microgynon for 5 years, but I took myself off this vile pill when I was being investigated for DVT! During the investigation however not one medical professional thought ''Hmmm the pill may have been a contributing factor to the suspected DVT''. At the time I wasn't sexually active, so I thought sod this, took myself off the pill and threw out the remaining 10 packs in the bin! I felt when I was on this pill that I was detached away from my body; I didn't feel myself, extremely moody and aggressive. The minute I came off the pill, I felt like I came ''back to earth'', and I felt me / normal again.

Vowed never again to take a combined contraception pill again, but instead use something different which I am; Copper Coil, which is fab .5 years, no worries or stress and it's non- hormonal.

ReputationRep:
    there is a diffrence my daughter was on m for 6months changed to r and with in 25 days shes dead

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.