Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have received offers from UBS and Barcap for the role of business analyst in technology division, whats your advice?

When comparing the good & bad of these 2 ibs, I noticed:

Barcap:
    1) barcap's salaray is slightly higher (no real difference),
    2) barcap is in a better financial position than UBS,
    3) barcap to some extent has a better future outlook than UBS,
    3) barcap technology has 3 rotations in different desks, whereas UBS is fixed (& I dont know which desk I will be allocated to),

UBS:
    1) UBS is more globally renowned than barcap, especially in Asia (No. 1 market share for the past decade),
    2) UBS has turned over from loss into profits in FY 2010,
    3) UBS may be more stable than barcap in the next few years, whereas barcap is being pushed by UK government heavily and may change headquarters

What I'm missing here is the culture and working environments at both banks. I tried to contact some insiders but still haven't got responses. Please give me any advice you may have, thx a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you really don't know anything about the banks so go for the one which seemed nicer or base your decision based on the rotational/ fixed aspect.

ReputationRep:
    Go for BarCap. I really liked it last year and everyone that was interning there was happy. I don't know much about UBS but BarCap really made a good impression on me...

ReputationRep:
    If you base your opinion on the current situation, above is dodgy at best in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westlife1987)
    I have received offers from UBS and Barcap for the role of business analyst in technology division, whats your advice?

When comparing the good & bad of these 2 ibs, I noticed:

Barcap:
    1) barcap's salaray is slightly higher (no real difference),
    3) barcap technology has 3 rotations in different desks, whereas UBS is fixed (& I dont know which desk I will be allocated to),

UBS:
    1) UBS is more globally renowned than barcap, especially in Asia (No. 1 market share for the past decade),
    2) UBS has turned over from loss into profits in FY 2010,
    3) UBS may be more stable than barcap in the next few years, whereas barcap is being pushed by UK government heavily and may change headquarters

What I'm missing here is the culture and working environments at both banks. I tried to contact some insiders but still haven't got responses. Please give me any advice you may have, thx a lot!!
    I have a question, if someone wanting to work in technology in a bank for the applications the bank produces, what is the role of the business analyst and what would the motivations for doing this job be?

ReputationRep:
    edit - ignore

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.