Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    So allowing Muslim migrants into India or Israel would be wholly positive provided there was a GDP boost? You need to factor in social cohesion, along with instrastructure demands & environmental concerns. More fundamentally, overall GDP type arguments avoid the crucial question of actual benefits for current citizens. The House of Lords select committee report showed these are actually pretty marginal.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...onaf/82/82.pdf

That said, I agree that skilled migration is useful and necessary in some areas. The problem is unskilled migration from higher crime populations that add to an existing underclass.
    yes and this is why i am a fan of a points-based-system so those with the necessary skills & qualifications can come here to work, improve their lives and help the economy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Stop reading the DM, and instead watch some of the border force programs on TV. It's real life stuff, and most(like 99.99%) illegal immigrants can't get anything, lest they want to come up on the radar
    actually it was on sky news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    1. Those are just facts based on empirical data. That doesn't make people superior, it means that there are statistical differences across populations. Therefore, just as insurers charge higher premiums to statisically risky groups (ie. males) immigration could require higher standards for populations more at risk of poor outcomes. Skill selection is a reasonable way of doing this.

2. The article about James Watson by Jason Malloy? It's a pretty good summary of research you can otherwise find in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, Vol. 11, No. 2.

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/30years/
    Well done, you have managed to misuse statistics like Hitler misused Darwin. The difference in intelligence/crime rate/economic output is across countries and regions, and has more to do with economic differences than racial ones even within countries. There is absolutely no causal link that has been established and proven between race and crime rate/intelligence/economic contributions, all there is is a bunch of wannabe racists looking at correlations, disregarding all socio-economic variations and going "oh, he's a convict, must be because he's black", all because that is the only thing they think people are defined by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh993)
    the irony being if you earn more than £150k equivalent, yearly, in the country you are coming from, you aren't affected by the monthly cap. So much for the con-dems not wanting to blow open the rich-poor gap even further....
    im disappointed that somebody clever enough to do medicine doesnt understand a simple concept like this.

ill explain it to you though because im nice: poor immigrants compete for jobs with british-born people raising unemployment and driving down wages so business boss's can get richer.

rich immigrants CREATE jobs for the people lowering unemployment and bringing economic growth.

thirdly i find it disappointing that labour voters like you are so jealous of other's wealth you want the gap between rich and poor to be lower as if somebdody elses wealth affects you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    thirdly i find it disappointing that labour voters like you are so jealous of other's wealth you want the gap between rich and poor to be lower as if somebdody elses wealth affects you in any way.
    well i said nothing about my background you silly boy - We happen to be very well off but unlike being rich and stuck up our own backsides, we care about the poor as, go back 15 years, we were dirt poor with my grandparents having to work 13 hour shifts every day to keep our family afloat.........

Try and be more considerate, eh - I never said I was jealous, I'm just disgusted by the government doing anything that would even slightly widen this gap - no need for it.

ReputationRep:
    actually it was on sky news
    lol. Sky news is nearly on par with DM for it's drivel. When you watch the border force programs, you'll see different

ReputationRep:
    The only immigrants who can claim benefits are those who are British. Expatriate immigrants are not able to, until naturalized. Non-EU expatriates are required to have a job offer prior to being given entry. Benefits are a tuppence anyway, so why would you want to claim them? - they're not going to boost your career or add constructively to your CV.

I immigrated to the Netherlands 3 weeks ago - and even though I can barely speak any Dutch, nobody seems to mind.

People have being saying that 'immigration needs to stop now' for decades, and yet it has never stopped. I wonder why that is?!

ReputationRep:
    Try and be more considerate, eh - I never said I was jealous, I'm just disgusted by the government doing anything that would even slightly widen this gap - no need for it.
    let the rich get richer so that they can give jobs and wealth to the poor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5t6rC6yvg

that is all.

ReputationRep:
    American and australia are full of english immigrants who killed the original inhabitants the american indians and aboriginis, so i dont think the british government have the right to comment on immigration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijaz)
    American and australia are full of english immigrants who killed the original inhabitants the american indians and aboriginis, so i dont think the british government have the right to comment on immigration
    One, they aren't immigrants.
    A dictionary and common sense would prove useful to you in the future.

Commenting on the 'original' inhabitants of any country will result in a massive flame war about times of many, many different 'world conquerors' such as alexander, the mongels, people such as atilla the hun etc.

Lands have changed hands many, many times over, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    let the rich get richer so that they can give jobs and wealth to the poor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5t6rC6yvg

that is all.

w/e - you're nothing more than a moron

I saw your quote on the EDL page...yes one of the leaders if from a "sikh" background; but let me assure you: he's not a real sikh. i'd say the vast vast vast majority of us condemn racist organisations like the EDL

so, take your bigoted views elsewhere mate. I don't have time for it.

ReputationRep:
    w/e - you're nothing more than a moron

I saw your quote on the EDL page...yes one of the leaders if from a "sikh" background; but let me assure you: he's not a real sikh. i'd say the vast vast vast majority of us condemn racist organisations like the EDL

so, take your bigoted views elsewhere mate. I don't have time for it.
    ill repeat: they arent a racist organisation, they are against radical islam and the islamisation of britain. some, if not many of their members are racist and chavs but its wrong to generalise isnt it? or is that concept only for religions?

and he is a real sikh, maybe if more sikhs were more like you and less like him you lot would have all been annhilated by the indian muslims many times over, throughout history.

and dont get into the habit of calling anyone who disagrees with you a bigot, it didnt work for gordon brown.

ReputationRep:
    ill repeat: they arent a racist organisation, they are against radical islam and the islamisation of britain. some, if not many of their members are racist and chavs but its wrong to generalise isnt it? or is that concept only for religions?

and he is a real sikh, maybe if more sikhs were more like you and less like him you lot would have all been annhilated by the indian muslims many times over, throughout history.

and dont get into the habit of calling anyone who disagrees with you a bigot, it didnt work for gordon brown.
    pft WE are the true Sikh warriors - if we had more people like him we would've all been converted into Muslims so don't you dare even go there son

be under no impression he is a "hero".

he's the bigest coward of all "james". He's allying with a far right, RACIST organisation because he doesn't want to suffer the racial abuse the every-day sikh would face if not a member of the EDL

remember, the EDL is comprised of brain-dead bigots who couldn't tell a melon from an apricot let alone a sikh from a muslim

there is plenty of pictures around of EDL members abusing sikhs...one of a thug abusing an elderly Sikh man in dudley

you're just uneducated and, if you'll excuse me, an example of the common muck that the EDL attracts

scuttle back to your sewer...the cheek to call ME weak-willed..haha

ReputationRep:

http://barrykade.wordpress.com/2010/...man-in-dudley/

non-racist "pro-Sikh" my anal passage

this sums it up perfectly "Given the percentage of EDL followers who are ignorant racist and drunk, most would find it hard to tell a Muslim from a Sikh anyway."

ReputationRep:
    http://barrykade.wordpress.com/2010/...man-in-dudley/

non-racist "pro-Sikh" my anal passage

this sums it up perfectly "Given the percentage of EDL followers who are ignorant racist and drunk, most would find it hard to tell a Muslim from a Sikh anyway."
    I would be surprised if they were aware of a difference between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I would be surprised if they were aware of a difference between the two.
    oh yea agreed - maybe the 1/2 sober members at home...i.e. the arm-chair supporters

The vast majority of EDL supporters are drunken hooligans simply spurring out racial hatred....don't even go there sir. You telling me that these lot think Sikhs wear turbans not muslims? You telling me these are educated folk who know of religious difference?

http://tinyurl.com/5v8qfqt

for a prospective medical student you really should know better.

ReputationRep:
    People are actually going into detail with this lol, why are you trying to convince each other or back up something as simple as immigration is good but to much is bad.

ReputationRep:

The thing is, is that he was right.The lady asked Gordon Brown "Where are all those Eastern European's coming from" Um.. I dunno, are they by any chance coming from China?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.A.T.O)
    Erm no, we are advanced due to the renaissance, the industrial revolution etc. The holy empire of rome 2000 years ago was more advanced than Africa was 100 years ago.

And what exactly are we supposed to have stolen ? The reason for colonialism in Africa was to secure trade routes to the far east and India.

Did what were we supposed to have stolen ? All their fruit and veg ? :confused:

Ireland was colonised for many centuries longer than Africa, and now look at Ireland.
    ireland required a bailout of billions
    we stole natural resources from many countries giving them nothing to sell and make money from, it gave us loads of resources and labour to exploit for financial gain

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, free movement of labour would reduce some of the largest global inequalities that currently exist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.