Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by N.A.T.O)
    I asked what Minerals the British allegedly stole from Africa during colonialism. What minerals ? How much minerals ? how as this caused Africa to be the state that it is in (which is what you are obviously implying)
    Are you thick? Do you really think that people that steal minerals by invading other countries kept records of how much they stole or do you think they kept records of how many Africans they killed or used as slaves? It has been happening for thousands of years since the development of our western civilization and it is not just the British that did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Are you thick? Do you really think that people that steal minerals by invading other countries kept records of how much they stole or do you think they kept records of how many Africans they killed or used as slaves?[ It has been happening for thousands of years since the development of our western civilization and it is not just the British that did it.
    Yes, they would have. And I am not asking about how many poeple they killed, I am asking what minerals they took and how much. Slave records exist today and they are very accurate. They would not be able to use what they procured if they did not keep record.

You obviously cannot answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    OMG! Who are you to stop me? I'm not lecturing anyone here.If you think immigration should really stop, feel free to write a letter to the prime minister and he'll definitely, without a doubt, say you're insane! Go ahead and let me know what exactly he says.
    Edit: If he isolates the country upon you're explanation, I would be humble enough to apologise for 'lecturing' you.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the OP's rep per post ratio. Troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cezz_18)
    OMG! Who are you to stop me? I'm not lecturing anyone here.If you think immigration should really stop, feel free to write a letter to the prime minister and he'll definitely, without a doubt, say you're insane! Go ahead and let me know what exactly he says.
    I am not going to discuss Britains immigration policy with you. It's none of your concern how we run our own country. I am sick of people thinking that europeans owe them a better life.

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to discuss Britains immigration policy with you. It's none of your concern how we run our own country. I am sick of people thinking that europeans owe them a better life.
    Now look here mister! I didn't come in this country to seek a better life. I'm quite content of my life from my home country. What made so sure that I am so poor and helpless? I may not be from this country but I have a say too. Legally speaking, I am a citizen of this country and have as much right as you do!

ReputationRep:
    If you just read my post again, I did say having a large family is their own fault so you don't have to point that one out! And I lived there, good enough?
    Ok, sorry i mis-read that. Does that make you an immigrant then? Or just over here on a student visa? As much as it is horrible, i'm going to say it: Social Darwinis. My current chosen career path is going into pharmaceutical research and making a difference that way- is that an acceptable donation to my fellow man? What do you expect people to do?! Really? about 2p out of every £1 from the television ads actually gets to the countries, and the aid is blown via coruption. Short of becoming super-rich, what can I do? Does it make me a bad person that i choose not to worry about things that i can't change?

Students from poorer countries that come over here, study medicine and then stay here, aren't returning to help their own countrymen, doesn't that say something?

If you migrated here then who are you to lecture us on our stance on immigration. It is none of you business.
    Very fair point here...

Yes, they would have. And I am not asking about how many poeple they killed, I am asking what minerals they took and how much. Slave records exist today and they are very accurate. They would not be able to use what they procured if they did not keep record.

You obviously cannot answer my question.

Gold is the most sought after material by invaders and it also happened in Africa. Gold is directly linked to the economic growth and wealth of a region. And now we keep ripping them off with the extraction of different minerals. If you want more details go visit a local library and open a proper book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Gold is the most sought after material by invaders and it also happened in Africa. Gold is directly linked to the economic growth and wealth of a region. And now we keep ripping them off with the extraction of different minerals. If you want more details go visit a local library and open a proper book.
    I am asking you what minerals were allegedly stolen at the time of British colonialism, how much of these minerals were stolen etc ?

I am not asking about curent gold mining operations. And fyi gold mining in SA has made it one of the wealtheist economies in Africa. Stop changing the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Erm no, we are advanced due to the renaissance, the industrial revolution etc. The holy empire of rome 2000 years ago was more advanced than Africa was 100 years ago.

And what exactly are we supposed to have stolen ? The reason for colonialism in Africa was to secure trade routes to the far east and India.

Did what were we supposed to have stolen ? All their fruit and veg ? :confused:

Ireland was colonised for many centuries longer than Africa, and now look at Ireland.
    In 1985, the United Nations' Whitaker Report recognised Germany's turn of the century attempt to exterminate the Herero and Namaqua people of South-West Africa as one of the earliest attempts at genocide in the 20th century. In total, some 65,000 Herero (80 percent of the total Herero population), and 10,000 Namaqua (50 percent of the total Namaqua population) were killed between 1904 and 1907. Characteristic of this genocide was death by starvation and the poisoning of the population's wells whilst they were trapped in the Namib Desert.

Any more examples of theft and murder and genocide you want? I've got hundreds.

The West tends to forget the crimes which made it rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    In 1985, the United Nations' Whitaker Report recognised Germany's turn of the century attempt to exterminate the Herero and Namaqua people of South-West Africa as one of the earliest attempts at genocide in the 20th century. In total, some 65,000 Herero (80 percent of the total Herero population), and 10,000 Namaqua (50 percent of the total Namaqua population) were killed between 1904 and 1907. Characteristic of this genocide was death by starvation and the poisoning of the population's wells whilst they were trapped in the Namib Desert.

Any more examples of theft and murder and genocide you want? I've got hundreds.

The West tends to forget the crimes which made it rich.
    Genocide does not make a country rich. And need I remind you of the Hindu genocides in Bangladesh by the Pakistani army (East Pakistan at the time)

Tikka Khan declared that he would implement the “Final Solution,” promising to kill 4 million Bengalis in 48 hours. “Army officials and soldiers give every sign of believing that they are now embarked on a Jehad against Hindu-corrupted Bengalis,” Consul-General Archer Blood of the U.S. mission in Dhaka wrote. Assisted by 13 battalions of mujahideen, Pakistan’s soldiers slaughtered three million people at the rate of 500 an hour over 9 bloodcurdling months in 1971 in what is today Bangladesh. Half a million women were turned into sex slaves.

By August 1971, nearly 10 million Bengali refugees had flooded into India. At the peak of their inhumanity, Pakistani leaders persisted in presenting their country as a victim: they described India’s acceptance of refugees as an “Indo-Zionist plot against Islamic Pakistan.” Israel was nowhere in the picture, but India had by then trained and armed Bengali guerrillas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaffacakejunkie)
    My current chosen career path is going into pharmaceutical research and making a difference that way- is that an acceptable donation to my fellow man? What do you expect people to do?! Really? about 2p out of every £1 from the television ads actually gets to the countries, and the aid is blown via coruption. Short of becoming super-rich, what can I do? Does it make me a bad person that i choose not to worry about things that i can't change?
    I don't expect anyone to do anything. And no it doesn't make you a bad person, I too can't do anything about that.

(Original post by Jaffacakejunkie)
    Students from poorer countries that come over here, study medicine and then stay here, aren't returning to help their own countrymen, doesn't that say something?
    I see your point but it now depends to the person for what s/he will do. As for me, I don't have any more family left in my home country and I have other personal reasons for not going back.

ReputationRep:
    I am asking you what minerals were allegedly stolen at the time of British colonialism, how much of these minerals were stolen etc ?

I am not asking about curent gold mining operations. And fyi gold mining in SA has made it one of the wealtheist economies in Africa. Stop changing the subject.
    STEALING MINERALS AND EXPLOITING AFRICA was the whole point of the colonisation you stupid ****- clearly don't know anything about the topic. You're probs one of the people who'll go "they went there to civilise them" :dunce:

Well tell that to the Free Congo where 8 million out of 16 million of the population died, people not meeting their quotas had their arms chopped off and almost all the region's materials which were produced were exported. Read a book, you ignorant chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    You're either a troll or a complete idiot.
    I think that the idiot remark has most definately become rather prominent to a fair few people at this stage ;/

ReputationRep:
    STEALING MINERALS AND EXPLOITING AFRICA was the whole point of the colonisation you stupid ****- clearly don't know anything about the topic. You're probs one of the people who'll go "they went there to civilise them" :dunce:

Well tell that to the Free Congo where 8 million out of 16 million of the population died, people not meeting their quotas had their arms chopped off and almost all the region's materials which were produced were exported. Read a book, you ignorant chav.
    Don't bother with him, the number of people on here who've told him to go read a book :lol:
    There's only so much you can do to reason with ignorance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Genocide does not make a country rich. And need I remind you of the Hindu genocides in Bangladesh by the Pakistani army (East Pakistan at the time)

Tikka Khan declared that he would implement the “Final Solution,” promising to kill 4 million Bengalis in 48 hours. “Army officials and soldiers give every sign of believing that they are now embarked on a Jehad against Hindu-corrupted Bengalis,” Consul-General Archer Blood of the U.S. mission in Dhaka wrote. Assisted by 13 battalions of mujahideen, Pakistan’s soldiers slaughtered three million people at the rate of 500 an hour over 9 bloodcurdling months in 1971 in what is today Bangladesh. Half a million women were turned into sex slaves.

By August 1971, nearly 10 million Bengali refugees had flooded into India. At the peak of their inhumanity, Pakistani leaders persisted in presenting their country as a victim: they described India’s acceptance of refugees as an “Indo-Zionist plot against Islamic Pakistan.” Israel was nowhere in the picture, but India had by then trained and armed Bengali guerrillas.
    And the point of your rant is? I'am perfectly aware of what happened in East Pakistan thanks very much. Maybe you would know like to explain what happened during the Holocaust, WW1, WW2, the Scramble for Africa and Vietnam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    Don't bother with him, the number of people on here who've told him to go read a book :lol:
    There's only so much you can do to reason with ignorance :rolleyes:
    OK Miss (I think)

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect anyone to do anything. And no it doesn't make you a bad person, I too can't do anything about that.

I see your point but it now depends to the person for what s/he will do. As for me, I don't have any more family left in my home country and I have other personal reasons for not going back.
    It would be nice if the people expected to make a difference actually did though... rather than leaving it down to philanthropy :/

ReputationRep:
    The industrial revolution would have happened with our without colonialism in African and India
    Indeed, without colonialism, the industrial revolution would also have happened in Africa and India...

ReputationRep:
    STEALING MINERALS AND EXPLOITING AFRICA was the whole point of the colonisation you stupid ****- clearly don't know anything about the topic. You're probs one of the people who'll go "they went there to civilise them" :dunce: Well tell that to the Free Congo where 8 million out of 16 million of the population died, people not meeting their quotas had their arms chopped off and almost all the region's materials which were produced were exported. Read a book, you ignorant chav.
    No it was not, the reason for colonialism was to secure trade routes with the far east and south Asia

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.