Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I have just completed my foundation degree in health and social care , im now in a situation of what to do next I really want to work within the nhs . Or mangement in care home , could anyone advise me what may be the route with my training etc ....... Don't know if I should do my BA Top up ??
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    when I do all of the units and do all 4 courses and get a degree with this qualification and I decide later on that I want to become a pharmacist with the degree that I have will I be able to get into pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy's)
    Hi guys
    I have just completed my foundation degree in health and social care , im now in a situation of what to do next I really want to work within the nhs . Or mangement in care home , could anyone advise me what may be the route with my training etc ....... Don't know if I should do my BA Top up ??
    Thanks in advance

I think that you should work within the NHS since you really want to do it so I suggest you do that first and then you should do your BA Top up and then you should work management in care home to see which one you like the most and then you should decide which one you like the most ad take that job but if you cant choose between the jobs then d part time in those jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if I could get any thoughts on whether this is a "useless degree" that people have made it out to be?

Career wise path, couldn't be anything else other than a youth worker or (support worker, working with famailes) or in public health...

So was wondering if this course is any good at all or and worth going to Uni to do a top up degree? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2:1 Health and Social Care (Hons) degree that I worked bloody hard for and I am proud of. I did a 2 year FD in Hospital and Health Care, and rather than go onto a nursing degree opted for the 1 year H&SC top-up as nursing just wasn't for me.

It does need to be made clear if you have a specific job in mind, it is easier to look for a direct route into that profession rather than doing the H&SC Degree as you are likely to need to undertake further training/education.

When I left university 3 years ago, I was offered a position within the LA as a Health Care Trainer, the opportunity to do my PGCE to progress on to teaching, and a role as a Carers' Advocate for a local charity in the area. I chose the Advocate role and that it where I am today, as well as a role as a Support and Development Worker for unpaid carers within my area.
    Without my degree I would not have been able to get this job which is both enjoyable and challenging.

A friend on the same course as me has worked as a disability inclusion officer for a local charity, a project manager for same charity and is now working for the local Care Plus as a supported internships employability officer for those with disabilities.
    A fellow graduate from my cohort has gone on to a leadership role within the local Care Plus. Another is a manager of an Oxfam store. Another is working towards a PGCE. Another has gone on to do a psychology masters.

The H&SC degree may not give you a dedicated career pathway, but it does provide a good, broad knowledge base that IS useful and CAN be applied to many jobs.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So doing a degree in Health and Soical Care is worthwhile as it gives you a lot of links to health and soical care sector.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.