Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Southampton /Sheffield/Sussex

which among these universities has best reputation for computer science and best job prospect,..!!

i have offers for all of 3 (masters level) ,.. but now i am stuck,. Big time !!

ppl i need info urgently to choose one before May 1st week..!!

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 3, I've only visited Southampton, and it looked amazing.

I'd say it has to be between Southampton and Sheffield. But the final decision is down to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well Southampton has a pretty good rep for Computer Science, especially with Tim Berners-Lee in the department.
    All three are good universities though, so if you haven't already then give them a visit and see what you think.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton generally has the best reputation out of those

ReputationRep:
    I am International student ,..currently not in uk so cant visit these university in person ,... i know Southampton has heavy weight names like Tim Berners-Lee ,... wat i wanted to know is does the universities reputation in league table actually transpires into the job market as well ?,.. or is it a case of pure chance when it comes to getting a job ,.. no matter from what university we study in ,..??

i want to go to Southampton as i know its one of the best in CS ,..but it would cost me few thousands pounds extra than the other universities,.. does the university name really matter..?? I am talking abt MSc level of study

If not i can very well go to Sheffield which is a much cheaper city to live in as student,..!!

my prime motive is to study and that to study in the best university,.. but when I am paying over 14000 pounds ,.. its just fair enough I think of job so that I wont end up in dept right..??

ReputationRep:
    The best Universities also tend to have the best job prospects. That said, there are still job prospects at other Unis too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser)
    The best Universities also tend to have the best job prospects. That said, there are still job prospects at other Unis too.
    thanks for ur inputs dude i appreciate it ,.. i am very much now gonna choose Southampton,..just going by its reputation

i may not be able to visit the place in person ,.. but Google street view sure do help

I do hope to have fun there as a student as well ,.. even though i am taking up software engineering ,wishing for few Eye candies as well in there some whr

ReputationRep:
    Don't base your uni choice on reputation, base it on which you want to go to. I chose Sussex over my other choice (despite it having considerable more reputation for the subject) because I love the area.

Visit each one, make your decision on which you'd rather spend at least 3 years of life in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Don't base your uni choice on reputation, base it on which you want to go to. I chose Sussex over my other choice (despite it having considerable more reputation for the subject) because I love the area.

Visit each one, make your decision on which you'd rather spend at least 3 years of life in.
    dude as i said earlier ,.. I am an international student (currently not living in UK),.. i can't visit the Universities in person ,.. and i am looking at a masters degree,.. so wont stay longer than an year and half,..!!

In that year and half i am looking for the best course i can find,.. which will boost my academic profile considerably,.. as i already have a year and half of work experience in Software industry :cool:

I know Brighton is better as a city when compared to Southampton(in terms of lively student life),.. but you tell me which university is known for its research intensive courses..?? Southampton or Sussex when it comes to computer science,..and by the way this has been the primary issue which has confused me a hell lot ,.. cos i personally adored the course i got offered from Sussex,.. but i am not too sure about its reputation in job market and quality of its research when compared with the other two univs,.!!

now u ppl tell me which university has a good reputation and a active & fun filled student life

ReputationRep:
    by the way in Sussex i have offer for Human Centered computer systems,..which deals with cognitive science and graphical user interface,..ie basically how humans will interaction with a machine (sounds cool rite... )

in other two universities i have got Msc Software engineering,,!! which has a straight forward market when it comes to job,..

but personally i like the cool subject ,..

but i cant look into personal pleasure when i am chucking out 13000 pounds :eek: annually out of my pocket ,.. now can i,..??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirs)
    dude as i said earlier ,.. I am an international student (currently not living in UK),.. i can't visit the Universities in person ,.. and i am looking at a masters degree,.. so wont stay longer than an year and half,..!!

In that year and half i am looking for the best course i can find,.. which will boost my academic profile considerably,.. as i already have a year and half of work experience in Software industry :cool:

I know Brighton is better as a city when compared to Southampton(in terms of lively student life),.. but you tell me which university is known for its research intensive courses..?? Southampton or Sussex when it comes to computer science,..and by the way this has been the primary issue which has confused me a hell lot ,.. cos i personally adored the course i got offered from Sussex,.. but i am not too sure about its reputation in job market and quality of its research when compared with the other two univs,.!!

now u ppl tell me which university has a good reputation and a active & fun filled student life

If you prefer the course at Sussex, go for Sussex. It's reputation is still growing. Times Higher Education put it as the UK's 8th best uni in their last league tables.

You'll have to research into each university, and the courses offered. They're all good unis on par with each other, so in that sense there's no real 'wrong decision' you can make.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield! anyday!
    If you've been there, you'd know

Small city, tram, mint nightlife, cheap.

Also im not being biased... as i got rejected :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    If you prefer the course at Sussex, go for Sussex. It's reputation is still growing. Times Higher Education put it as the UK's 8th best uni in their last league tables.

You'll have to research into each university, and the courses offered. They're all good unis on par with each other, so in that sense there's no real 'wrong decision' you can make.

thanks for ur words of encouragement man ya i do like the course in Sussex its really is tempting,.. but i heard ppl saying its just those one off things ,.. Sussex might come down in ratings next year,,.!! in TSR itself i have seen this being quoted

i have also applied for a scholarship in Sussex ,.. if i get that thru ,.. there is a fair chance i might choose it,.. so only i am confused in the first place,..i really cant make up my mind with these limited info i have,..!! :confused:

And as laser said in the previous post ,.. the brand name of companies attending the computer science job fair in Southampton really is phenomenal ,.. i cant find any such info abt the other two universities..!!

ReputationRep:
    I got through Southampton and Sheffield (out of your choices) for undergraduate Computer Science so I did do a bit of research that may be relevant to you too... Southampton is the best university among your choices for Computer Science.

Secondly, I'm also an international student so one of the things I'm keeping in mind is that the university's international rep. Reputation doesn't come for no reason so it is, even if in a small way, important. If you intend to work outside of the UK, reputation will matter for the university's name must look good on your CV.

Thirdly, the above said, look into the course details and go for whatever interests you more. Also, make sure you choose an environment where you feel you'll have a better chance of succeeding in the academics arena. A first from a somewhat good university would be better than a second from a slightly better university. Ultimately academics depends on being comfortable in a place.

If you do well in your course, you'll automatically get a good job so I doubt you'll be too much in debt.

Hope that helps. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aankhi)
    I got through Southampton and Sheffield (out of your choices) for undergraduate Computer Science so I did do a bit of research that may be relevant to you too... Southampton is the best university among your choices for Computer Science.

Secondly, I'm also an international student so one of the things I'm keeping in mind is that the university's international rep. Reputation doesn't come for no reason so it is, even if in a small way, important. If you intend to work outside of the UK, reputation will matter for the university's name must look good on your CV.

Thirdly, the above said, look into the course details and go for whatever interests you more. Also, make sure you choose an environment where you feel you'll have a better chance of succeeding in the academics arena. A first from a somewhat good university would be better than a second from a slightly better university. Ultimately academics depends on being comfortable in a place.

If you do well in your course, you'll automatically get a good job so I doubt you'll be too much in debt.

Hope that helps. :-)
    can u pls share these research findings with me if u don mind,.. as it will be helpful and interesting from they way you sounds

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't spend £14000 on anything else without looking at it first - why do the same with Uni? Spend a few hundred pounds extra, get a flight to the UK and spend a day in each city and get trains between them and then you know you'll have made the right decision. There's so many things that are subjective, there's no single "best University", and league tables are deceptive - sure, the 10th best Uni is probably going to be better than the 40th in terms of academic teaching, but for certain people, the 11th best might be better for them than the 8th best - and the academic and other reputations are about the same between them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirs)
    Southampton /Sheffield/Sussex

which among these universities has best reputation for computer science and best job prospect,..!!

i have offers for all of 3 (masters level) ,.. but now i am stuck,. Big time !!

ppl i need info urgently to choose one before May 1st week..!!
    I'd go Southampton. Great place, great uni.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Southampton university is ok, great reputation, but Southampton itself is really not very nice at all. I would go for Sussex

ReputationRep:
    For CS Southampton is the best out of them. You won't regret Sheffield either though.

Sussex is good but you'll want university prestige as well if you're going back to your home country to work. Soton and Sheffield have much more than Sussex, especially for CS.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton is the wiser choice both academically, rep wise and prospects wise.

I'd say Sheffield is the next best and Sussex the last.

If you want a good all round university experience, Southampton is for you, their department is one of the best for CS in the country and they've got amazing facilities/teaching etc.

If you want to stay pissed for 4 years then Sheffield is the place for you. Of what I hear, it's quite the party town

Depends really, Southampton is a lot more subdued than Sheffield, but I'd still pick Southampton over Sheffield.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.