Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    OK, lets do this slowly.

You walk into a shop, top up the oyster card (eg Can I have a fiver of credit on here please?)

Then you tap on when you get on the bus - costing 80p a ride instead of £1.20. If you take journeys which add up to £3, then you are capped automatically, meaning you can take as many buses as you want.

With trains, a lot of stations don't support prepay, so you will be better off using weekly travelcards if you use trains, buses & tubes regularly. (With a student oyster card you will get reductions, costs £5 available from your university).

With tubes, it will also cap your fares in a similar fashion to the buses, and works out the cheapest way of getting you from A to B.

Someone best find this useful.
    would be useful if i didnt have an understanding of oyster cards, but yeah it is that simple and you gotta be paris hilton not to understand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_natsy_2005)
    would be useful if i didnt have an understanding of oyster cards, but yeah it is that simple and you gotta be paris hilton not to understand it
    It was meant for gossip_girl :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    cn i just get this straight? lol. with oyster on trains, will it automatically put you on a travel card if you spend over whatever a travel card costs? sorry, dumb i know i know lol

ReputationRep:
    It was meant for gossip_girl :rolleyes:
    All i ****ing do i ask for an explanation! You lot treat me like im ****ing retarded!
    Im so bloody sorry i dont understand it!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucky_8)
    cn i just get this straight? lol. with oyster on trains, will it automatically put you on a travel card if you spend over whatever a travel card costs? sorry, dumb i know i know lol
    Tubes it will, but not overground trains. For trains you have to already have a weekly or monthly travelcard on your Oyster.

ReputationRep:
    What's the minimum you can top up on oysters?

ReputationRep:
    £5 I think - put £10 on mine the other day

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe there is a minimum (within reason). I put on £3 once.

ReputationRep:
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    Really.

ReputationRep:
    Cool lol!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be nasty to GG, it's not her fault she's stupid!

ReputationRep:
    I don't excatly know how Oyster Cards work and I don't need to either since I have a Freedom Pass!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopShopper_girl)
    I don't excatly know how Oyster Cards work and I don't need to either since I have a Freedom Pass!!!
    How did you get a Freedom Pass?

ReputationRep:
    How did you get a Freedom Pass?
    Because of my disability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopShopper_girl)
    Because of my disability.
    What transport does it cover? Everything? Or just buses?

ReputationRep:
    Buses and underground trains but not overground trains.

ReputationRep:
    I put 20p on an Oyster card once. The shopkeep didn't look too happy about it, but I only had that left, and only 70p on the card. It was either that or an hour and a half walk home with shopping, so the nice lady did it for me.

My grandad's freedom Pass covers zone 1-6 overground trains :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OIC, didn't know you can put any amount on them - I always use the credit card machines, and the minimum there is a fiver I think.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.