Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The former world heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali has asked Iran to release two American hikers held since 2009 on charges of spying.

Muhammad Ali, arguably the most prominent US Muslim, sent a letter to supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in February and released it publicly yesterday to the Associated Press news agency.

The letter asks the Ayatollah to release Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer, who were arrested while hiking in northern Iraq near the Iranian border. A third hiker, Sarah Shourd, was released on bail in September, shortly after Ali first wrote to Khamenei.

The three met while studying at the University of California at Berkeley. Mr Fattal joined the other two in Damascus, where they were living at the time, and they set off for what they and friends insist was a perfectly innocent walking expedition. The falls on the border, though remote, are famous for their beauty.

The predicament of the accused men is complicated by America's deeply strained relations with Iran.

The US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has repeatedly called for Iran to release the prisoners.

Ali's letter asks Ayatollah Khamenei as a brother in Islam to show the same mercy and compassion for the two men. Ali founded his centre for world peace in Louisville, Kentucky, where he grew up and launched a career that included three world heavyweight titles.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-2244016.html

:love:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wonder if it will make any difference

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise Muhammad Ali was still politically active these days. Good on him though, he will live on in history for his inspirational bravery and achievements in his life.

ReputationRep:
    Love for Ali.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioHawk)
    doubt it will do anything
    Please mr Iran sir, please release the hikers, i am a famous person in America and therfore i am writing to you to look cool
    Don't insult the greatest....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sushidelight)
    Don't insult the greatest....
    i'm not a fan

ReputationRep:
    i'm not a fan
    You WILL be a fan. :damnmate:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    You WILL be a fan. :damnmate:
    oh noes it's like catholic school all over again

ReputationRep:
    oh noes it's like catholic school all over again

ReputationRep:
    I actually love him.

Greatest of all time! and yes he's a Muslim

Great to see him being politically active, despite having to fight off Parkisons

ReputationRep:
    doubt it will do anything
    Please mr Iran sir, please release the hikers, i am a famous person in America and therfore i am writing to you to look cool
    Don't be stupid.He's not one of those people who does it, who speaks out "just to look cool" otherwise he would have done this in other international incidents.

Anyway good for him. Even if it doesn't have a big effect good for him.

ReputationRep:
    It would be great if they actually released them.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.

ReputationRep:
    Why would americans take a hike in IRAN?

Fair enough if they are though.

ReputationRep:
    LOL who cares what Muhammad Ali says, when he said the war in Vietnam was wrong the US government didn't listen?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.