Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Calling all READING and EXETER English Students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a dilemma! I am currently doing an Access course and have whittled my university choices down to 2. I have picked Reading and Exeter as my top universities, however choosing my 'firm' over my 'reserve' is proving to be a nightmare.

I have visited both of the universities and they are both absolutely amazing. League tables notwithstanding (Exeter is higher than Reading), I like Exeter because of its location, renowned English degree and student satisfaction levels and Reading because of its flexibility, ability to do my subject as a joint and emphasis on pastoral care (particularly towards 'mature' students - I am 25).

I have to be absolutely sure that the uni I go to is going to be the best one for me, because it is 3 years of my life and involves moving away from my husband for the duration!

I have been described as being "hardcore academic" and am not so interested in the partying lifestyle as some younger students might be, so clubs etc aren't really on my list of important things!

I would LOVE to hear from English students from either Reading or Exeter who could give me the pros and the cons of their respective universities and help me decide one way or the other (so no pressure!).

What are contact hours like? Are course tutors always available? Are the library/ uni facilities good? What are your favourite bits about the uni? What are the worst bits? Do you feel confident in your ability to get a job afterwards? Would you stay on to study further? Are you happy there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an English student but in some senses I would have preferred to have gone to Exeter (am a Part 2 Economics undergrad at Reading) - never been there myself but know a few who have, seems like a nice place and as you say it's a higher ranked institution

Not sure about support for mature students - though I know it's possible to live fairly exclusively in quieter surrounds with older students. I am one myself (26) but from what I gather there's not all that much going on beyond the start of term in terms of mature students type events?- The mature students society facebook group seems pretty dead and I don't know if there are many 'mature students' in our age category anyway?.. but perhaps I'm mistaken

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.