Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It may be a natural thing, but so is defecating. You don't exactly protest against people refraining from doing that in public, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.J)
    Bleuh, I think it's a bit gross. The kid's hungry? Shove a bottle in it's gob. Save the breast feeding for at home. I think seeing a baby breast feeding is pretty vomit-worthy, and I don't care whether it's "natural" or not. There are lots of other things that are "natural" and I really don't want to see any of those happening.
    Don't be so bloody immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    This is exactly why some people have a problem with breastfeeding - as a society, we're now conditioned to think that the only reason someone might have for getting her tits out is to shock, offend or arouse. Whoever it was that complained to the policeman has obviously forgotten what breasts are there for in the first place.
    Yeah I agree. As long as mothers are fairly discreet about breast-feeding then I don't see why it should really be a huge deal. When the baby's actually feeding you can hardly see the breast anyway. It seems ridiculous to me that some idiot complains about something so natural and essential, while other disruptive behaviour just gets ignored. Maybe I should have a moan to police about how unsightly chavs look outside Macdonalds, or how disgusting it is when some inconsiderate moron blows cigarette smoke in my face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    its natural. why should women be punished for that?
    As Howard once put it, "So is taking a **** in the street" or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    As Howard once put it, "So is taking a **** in the street" or something like that.
    Taking a **** in the street is completely different. For one thing, it's fouling the environment, and for another thing, there's no reason why the person can't wait.

Babies don't wait until it's appropriate before they get hungry. I'm sure most people would rather have a mother breast feed her child on the spot than listen to a screaming infant for as long as it takes for the mother to get to somewhere she's allowed to get her breast out. Mothers who breast feed are giving their child the best nutrition possible and are doing the right thing as far as their baby's growth is concerned. If we ostracise new mothers and treat breast feeding as though it is something disgusting and dirty, fewer people will feel inclined to do it.

I plan to breast feed my children when the time comes, and if someone doesn't like it, they can kiss my arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    In public?
    Naturally.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to disagree, whilst it is natural it is also nudity. So it should be discrete.

This is why (for example) if your out walking in the country and fancy the toilet, blokes generally go a bit of sight (like behind a tree). Instead of just doing it in full view of each other.

Both things are natural, but its part of our culture not to appear naked in front of strangers. I think women who want to breastfeed should do so in as private a place as possible.

An empty park bench, with nobody close would be ok. but doing so whilst at the checkout at tesco's would not - catch my drift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    I'd have to disagree, whilst it is natural it is also nudity. So it should be discrete.

This is why (for example) if your out walking in the country and fancy the toilet, blokes generally go a bit of sight (like behind a tree). Instead of just doing it in full view of each other.

Both things are natural, but its part of our culture not to appear naked in front of strangers. I think women who want to breastfeed should do so in as private a place as possible.

An empty park bench, with nobody close would be ok. but doing so whilst at the checkout at tesco's would not - catch my drift?
    As I said, babies get hungry when they get hungry. The woman has every right to feed her child, and if it offends you (which it shouldn't, seeing as it doesn't pollute the environment or contribute to the moral breakdown of society) then you really don't have to look.

ReputationRep:
    no, i know - i don't disagree with you. But "you don't have to look" doesn't allways work, if someone stands infront of you naked most people will feel uncomfortable about it. and will avert their eyes, but its still awkward and not acceptable to do that to people.

But people must have tact. Just as in my example, people generally go for a piss out of sight. You know full well what they are doing, but they had the courtesy not to force it upon you.

If your talking to someone and they wip out their breast and start feeding their baby, i think thats innapropriate. They should at least ask the person if they mind. Not just assume its ok "because its natural".

I can't really think of an analogous act to breastfeeding, but i think it should be one of those things you do discretely.

For example if a women is eating in a restaurant and the baby starts crying, i would assume most women would take the baby and go to the toilet - feed them and then come back. Rather than just doing it infront of strangers.

ReputationRep:
    no, i know - i don't disagree with you. But "you don't have to look" doesn't allways work, if someone stands infront of you naked most people will feel uncomfortable about it. and will avert their eyes, but its still awkward and not acceptable to do that to people.

But people must have tact. Just as in my example, people generally go for a piss out of sight. You know full well what they are doing, but they had the courtesy not to force it upon you.

If your talking to someone and they wip out their breast and start feeding their baby, i think thats innapropriate. They should at least ask the person if they mind. Not just assume its ok "because its natural".

I can't really think of an analogous act to breastfeeding, but i think it should be one of those things you do discretely.

For example if a women is eating in a restaurant and the baby starts crying, i would assume most women would take the baby and go to the toilet - feed them and then come back. Rather than just doing it infront of strangers.
    One boob is hardly stripping. And men should really have no say in this, seeing as they will never know what it is like to be on the other side of it.

Anyway, if the baby is screaming for milk, I doubt the mother is actually going to care what prudes and squeamish people like you think.

There is nothing disgusting or dirty about feeding a baby. So kindly stop comparing it to pissing behind a tree (or otherwise) because as a comparison it simply doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, those two things weren't quite equal but naturism is similar.

It is natural to be naked but in our society we generally don't do so, i don't think "needing" to breastfeed right there and then in front of someone is a good enough excuse.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not opposed to breastfeeding in public, i'm just saying i think women should be courteous about where they do it. Because doing it whilst at the checkout at tescos, or whilst sitting next to someone on the bus i think isn't very nice for other people.

Yes i will never be on the other side of this discussion, but i still have a view.

I don't think i've ever seen a complete stranger breast feeding so i can't be the only one that has this opinion. The only people i've seen breastfeeding are family freinds, and that was in a house.

and i'm not prudish either!, i just think its better for it to be private thing. I personally won't be offended if i see a women breastfeeding ib public tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with breastfeeding in a restuarant. In the street is one thing, but in a restaurant there's a bit of a difference (for one thing it's a private establishment). However, I don't think it's acceptable for women to have to scurry off to a cramped toilet to perch on the seat in a stinky and unpleasant environment to feed their children. I recently saw a separate breastfeeding room in some toilets which I thought was a good idea - but how few and far between must they be?!

I don't think people breastfeed in a queue at tesco. It's hardly an easy thing to do - you need to be able to sit down and support the weight of the baby and check the positioning. I think those muslin sheet things (with a head hole) are a good idea and preserve the modesty of the women as well as stopping irrational people being offended.

--------------

i just think its better for it to be private thing.
    In a perfect world all breastfeeding mothers would live in a nice warm cacoon, being fed honey by a mother-goddess and never have to leave the house. Unfortunately, that just isn't the case. Mums have to do things, babies get hungry in the meanwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you've not seen my main point, i don't think we are in disagreement.

I don't think a women in a restaurant should go to the toilet to feed their baby, i was just suggesting anywhere other than the table, baby room if there is one. Where in particular is not important.

All i'm saying is people should be courteous to other people's sensitivites, thats all . That just means a bit of common sense, be discrete - thats all :confused:

I'm saying this because susie seems to think its the mother's right to breastfeed anywhere.

Whilst this is true, mothers shouldn't take this litterally. Some places are more appropriate than others. Places where people are eating is a bad place - for example.

ReputationRep:
    My position on it is that it's just bad manners. There are plenty of baby changing facilities, toilets and private areas that it can be done in, so this needn't be a problem.

Quite fundamentally though, I just don't like babies.

(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Taking a **** in the street is completely different. For one thing, it's fouling the environment, and for another thing, there's no reason why the person can't wait.
    What if they used a scoop bag after they'd finished? Anyway, I can't urinate in the street (not that I don't, but I at least go up a dark alleyway or such) - that doesn't befoul the environment.

Anyway, there's no reason a child can't wait five minutes or can't be bottle-fed in the meantime.

(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    One boob is hardly stripping. And men should really have no say in this, seeing as they will never know what it is like to be on the other side of it.
    Don't talk nonsense. We have every right to be offended by it. If you want to get down to the rather unpleasant fact of 'who should have a say' - well, in privately owned places it should be the establishment owner, and in public places it should be the people: and these public places receive a higher proportion of tax revenue from men, which is why they are there in the first place.

Of course, I'm not going to support petty genderism, but if you're going to I think you really ought to be aware of the reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by segat1)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...882710,00.html

Waht does everyone think about this? Personally, I really don't have a problem with this. I don't know why everyone gets so uppity about it!!!
    As long as she is not trying to feed me, I could care less.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I've never tried to breast feed someone in public so I don't really know....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think breast feeding in public is perfectly fine. I'm sure plenty of women would go somewhere more private if they could but when a baby is screaming blue murder cos they are so hungry it's better to go to the nearest place whether it be a cafe or some other facilty (even parked in a lay-by!!) Its quite possible to breast feed discreetly so it shouldn't really be a problem especially these days!

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends if the woman is 'hot or 'not'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't believe you just said that!

ReputationRep:
    Someone had to, it's what we were all thinking. Come on, don't tell me no-one else was turned on by the breastfeeding scenes in Bertolucci's 'The Last Emperor', I bet i'm not.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.