Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I had a really exciting holiday after receiving an offer from LSE Media and Communication Governance. But then I fell into a dilemma in this horrible March.

My month is filled with rejections and waiting lists. The courses I applied to US grad schools include MPP, IR, Global Communication.

I've been rejected by five plus a WL of the seven schools I applied. Some directly wrote to me that because of my lack of working experience - I'm 20 and a senior at present - they could not offer me a seat in a diverse society like New York.

However, I've been admitted to GWU Elliott School of Intll Affairs. The program is Global Communication, a combined degree of both IR and Communication.

I extremely like the GWU?program!!!!! But they do not offer me any scholarship/fellowship/TA, and the cost is considerable - over 8,0000 for two years.

I do not want to spend all my parents' savings for my grad study!!!

Thus, I'm considering going to LSE's program, return to my country and work for one year. After that, I'll reapply to MIA?in Columbia who wrote to my program coordinator my "immaturity" was their reason to reject me.

I know the prominence of the Elliott School, and I have confidence in their program. But it's just the problem of expenses that trouble me most!!!!!

Pls....Advise Me!!!

ReputationRep:
    Some background: I'm a German-born American citizen. I was at the GWU ESIA for my freshman (1st year undergraduate) year in 2006/2007, but left after 2 terms and returned to Seattle, where my family lived. I graduated from Washington State University with my BA, and will be attending LSE for my postgraduate studies this autumn.

For me, at the undergrad level, the GWU experience is not worth the money. It is INCREDIBLY expensive as you mentioned, and that's a major reason why I left and returned to a state-funded university. The facilities are really fantastic, but GWU doesn't have as good of a reputation in comparison to the fees they charge. I didn't like the "vibe" or the attitude of most of the students there; it didn't have the culture of learning I was looking for. The area of DC that GWU is in is quite lacking (it's by the Foggy Bottom metro station) and the housing situation is absolutely horrible. But, if you're into exploring the DC area, there are certainly a lot of things to do. I personally went on several embassy tours and it's a very professional city. It may lack the cultural vibrance of NYC or perhaps even Seattle, but if you're interested in networking with influential government agencies &/or firms, it's a good place to be.

However, if expenses really are an issue for you, I do not recommend the ESIA. The "prominence" of GWU is mostly for their business, law, and medical graduate programs. The international affairs/political science program was not what I expected: the classes were huge, the professors middling, and the student advising system really deplorable. At the undergraduate level, I found the majority of students I interacted with to be very pretentious, fake and self-involved. There was little or no humility, which I found really disdainful - but typical of a private university on the east coast. However, the location in DC does mean that you'll have remarkable access to internships and networking. Like most things, what you get out of it is a reflection of your own personal efforts and motivation. There were some great people there, and my experiences weren't entirely negative. It just wasn't a good fit for me, personally.

All that matters is how YOU feel about the program. Take what I say with a grain of salt, yeah? Just because I didn't like the program doesn't mean that you won't. At the end of the day, I chose saving money instead of attending a school with a fancy name. And despite going to a cheap party school for my undergrad, I still ended up where I wanted to be: attending LSE for graduate school Think about what your end goals are, create a "pros and cons" matrix, and go from there. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much!
    I wouldn't just take your advice as grain or salt!
    I really like the GWU program. As far as I can see, the curriculum is academically rigorous, especially compared with the media program in LSE. It is more interdisciplinary, subjects include politics, economics, and communication. But the LSE program is just focused on media, and I wonder whether I would have the time to audit classes outside the media department.

What program in LSE are you admitted to? I believe if it had been IR or economics, I would have been more than happy to go to LSE than anywhere else. It's just I do not have enough confidence in their media program.

The question I'm most concerned with is whether a GWU degree would be recognized in China, certainly not as reputable as LSE.

When you say the accommodation in GWU is horrible. Indeed how horrible is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverwater)
    Thanks very much!
    I wouldn't just take your advice as grain or salt!
    I really like the GWU program. As far as I can see, the curriculum is academically rigorous, especially compared with the media program in LSE. It is more interdisciplinary, subjects include politics, economics, and communication. But the LSE program is just focused on media, and I wonder whether I would have the time to audit classes outside the media department.

What program in LSE are you admitted to? I believe if it had been IR or economics, I would have been more than happy to go to LSE than anywhere else. It's just I do not have enough confidence in their media program.

The question I'm most concerned with is whether a GWU degree would be recognized in China, certainly not as reputable as LSE.

When you say the accommodation in GWU is horrible. Indeed how horrible is it?
    Sorry for the late response!!

I was admitted into the European Studies Research program, which is an MSc + PhD program (1+3 years)... provided I do well in the MSc

Accommodation at GWU varies: I was in a 6-person suite and it was worse than some motels I've stayed in! But then again, kids willing to shell out a lot of money had amazing dorm rooms. It just depends, but I was able to get much nicer accommodation for the same price at my state university. As for the degree being "recognized" in China, I can't say. GWU is pretty well-known; just go with your gut, I guess? Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    GWU will not be recognized in China. Its a mid-tier university with no real ties to China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKU_Research007)
    GWU will not be recognized in China. Its a mid-tier university with no real ties to China.
    LSE masters degrees, however, are like gold dust

ReputationRep:
    LSE has extensive connections to China as well as special career fairs for people wanting to work in China. So yes its magic pixie dust with a hint of PCP to it

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.