Turn on thread page Beta

My friend, getting fat, what can I say? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

One of best friend is getting fat from excessive eating...and I don't know what I can really do or say to help her.

I have told her to exercise regularly, maybe cut down on food quantity...everybody know these are the best way to keeping a good body.

But I don't know what else I can do to help her :confused:

what do you think i can do?

Andy

ReputationRep:
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A..._d8c2hbCEU&t=1

ReputationRep:
    Well..if she's happy doing what she does...why do you want to change it?

ReputationRep:
    This sounds bad, but try to shock her into losing weight.

Perhaps call her a whale?

Best case scenario, she realises she's overweight and determines to do something about it.

Worst case scenario, yeah, she'll hate you forever.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    its really non of your business plus I would rather be fat and happy than just angry because im lnot eating as much

ReputationRep:
    Has she asked for your help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that she knows that she is putting on wieght.

If she is suddenly over eating then maybe there is an emotional reason.

There's no point in saying 'You're getting kind of fat, you should get a gym membership' if she already feels crap about herself.

Ask her if she is worried about anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    I'm sure that she knows that she is putting on wieght.

If she is suddenly over eating then maybe there is an emotional reason.

There's no point in saying 'You're getting kind of fat, you should get a gym membership' if she already feels crap about herself.

Ask her if she is worried about anything.
    Okay i might try that actually...but she is a very quiet girl...so hard to extract thoughts from her...

I understand maybe is non of my business, but i don't think she is very happy with putting so much weight. I am her friend and I think I have some responsibility to do something. (what do you think i just do nothing?)

hmm...talking about body image to a girl (I am a boy) can be very sensitive...

ReputationRep:
    she could have binge eating disorder... or perhaps she's an inexperienced bulimic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyboy001)
    Okay i might try that actually...but she is a very quiet girl...so hard to extract thoughts from her...

I understand maybe is non of my business, but i don't think she is very happy with putting so much weight. I am her friend and I think I have some responsibility to do something. (what do you think i just do nothing?)

It could be exam stress. I know a lot of people who put on a bit of weight during exams because they give up physical activities to study.

If she is your best friend then I'm sure you could have a heart to heart with out it being too awkward. You don't have to talk about her weight just ask her how she is feeling in general, family, friends etc..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Let her make her own choices.

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure they realise theyre putting on weight, its not really something you wouldnt realise was happening

ReputationRep:
    she might just like eating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyboy001)

You're doing the right thing. I would expect a friend to do the same things for me. Yes it will hurt her but when you're saying it to her say it in a way where she understands you're telling her because you care. I really wish a friend had of done that for me when I first put on a load of weight, it ended up taking me 7 years to lose it all as I would lose motivation all the time. Yes I knew I was putting on the weight, but if someone had of said something to me I probably wouldnt have put on so much.

ReputationRep:
    how about you start going to the gym and ask if she wants to be your gym buddy?

ReputationRep:
    I think the kindest thing to do would be to put her down.

ReputationRep:
    what about doing sports together?

ReputationRep:
    try asking her if she wants to go running with you or to the gym or something so you can help motivate her without having to say anything too explicit

ReputationRep:
    If she is overeating all of a sudden there is probably something wrong, or something may be effecting her.
    So instead of pointing out these things, or suggesting exersize be a friend to her an see if there is anything wrong/troubling her.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to lose weight.

Don't be surprised when she tells you to **** off.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.