Turn on thread page Beta

What calculators can be used a-level exams maths watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like to know what sort of calculators can be used and what cant be used for the a-level math modules; C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and S3?
    Thanks this would be of much great help.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to now.. *subscribe*

I asked my teacher today but he wasn't sure.

ReputationRep:
    I used graphical and scientific calculators for all mine (other than C1) ?

ReputationRep:
    i heard that there are specific types of graphical ones that can be used? is this true? and which one are you currently using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangaAlexi)
    i heard that there are specific types of graphical ones that can be used? is this true? and which one are you currently using?
    yes, the texas instrument ones can't be used as they can do symbolic integration.

just get one the school sells.. casio fx8520 or whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that as i was actually considering purchasing the Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used the casio fx-7400G Plus, (got it infront of me btw... I don't just have a major attachment to my calc )

ReputationRep:
    How much would this help me in my exam?

ReputationRep:
    For statistics I think quite a lot, but for the others then a normal scientific calculator is fine -from my experience

ReputationRep:
    thanks, and how about with carrying out triganometric graphs?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I haven't a clue, only did C1,2,3,4, S1, and M1.... don't think that was in them ...could be! Or we could have just called them something different. I wasn't particularly keen on maths -only did enough to get by!

ReputationRep:
    oh alright i see what other a-levels u doing or did?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology and chemistry now -don't need any special calc for that though! just scientific

ReputationRep:
    cool cool, how they going?

ReputationRep:
    Any calculator without the ability for algebraic differentiation and integration is allowed (numeric is allowed). The Texas Instruments TI-89 Titanium Graphing Calculator is not allowed as it can do algebraic differentiation and integration, but graphical calculators such as the TI-84 are allowed. The main advantages of the TI-84 over the standard scientific calculator is the graphing ability as well as numeric differentiation and integration, which will give non-exact answers and only works for questions with limits, yet still very effective as a check. It can also help with normal distribution calculations which can be useful for stats (though I didn't own a TI-84 at the time it sat S1).

ReputationRep:
    I think the graphing functions only start to become properly useful in the FP units. Get a decent Casio natural display calculator like the Casio FX-991ESPLUS or Casio FX-85GTPLUS. Natural Display is a very useful feature to have. They can both stuff like standard deviation and regression lines etc as well as logs with changeable bases.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.
    with further pure which would be the best one?

ReputationRep:
    the 'Casio FX991ES Plus Scientific Calculator' is awesome. you can can your integration and differenciation answers on it as well as being really easy to use and it does answers in surd form
    my graphic calculator is the 'Casio FX9750GII Power Graphic Calculator' its fine, does graphs solves equations and everything! as long as you know how to use it
    i take both of these into the exam and an extra scientific one for safety hope this helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Banned Calculator List is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1273511

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help and tell me how i coud use the calculator casio fx-9750GII in my a-level exams.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.