Turn on thread page Beta

to resit or not to resit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Basically I have a conditional offer from Queen Mary for BA English. The conditions are AA in English Lit and Philosophy. It will definitely be my firm.
    I've since resat the English exam and gotten the A they asked for though I haven't informed them yet, mainly due to this...

When I got the results for January back I noticed that the Philosophy paper I was going to resit is out of 80 marks, I worked it out today with my school and it transpires that it's impossible for me to get the A in Philosophy if I only sit one paper.
    I can either resit an additional paper, or just do the one and not get any higher than the B in Philosophy I already have.

I know that a lot of people get onto their courses if they miss a grade but as it stands I have ABBCb which isn't ideal and as I'm a reapplicant I feel like I've been lucky to get as far as I have with Queen Mary.
    I'm wondering whether that's the extent of my luck and if I don't get that additional A I'll miss out. If it came to that I think they might look over my grades and turn me down on accounts of the C in Media Studies.

So basically my question is what are my chances? Should I resit another paper or risk it with my current grades? I'm not too confident that I can improve on some of my other Philosophy marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briefcaseabstractedly)
    I know that a lot of people get onto their courses if they miss a grade...
    Are you sure about that? English is a very competitive subject and slipping a grade (especially this year) could cost you your place. What I mean is, if I was in your position I definitely wouldn't feel secure about my place at all since competition is always getting harder.

So basically my question is what are my chances? Should I resit another paper or risk it with my current grades? I'm not too confident that I can improve on some of my other Philosophy marks.
    Resit, what happens if they don't let you in? You either have to settle for somewhere you don't want to go to as much, or have to wait another year and pay the triple fees :/ Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've read a couple of stories on here about people getting onto the course having missed a grade and even somebody I met on the visit day had a similar stroke of luck, but I am aware of the lack of redeeming qualities my application has considering it's my second and yeah, timing.

I think I will resit both but I'm seriously not very confident at all in doing as well as I'd like. The topics were studied a long time ago and as I've only just found out about all this I only have a few months to try and cover it all.

I don't know whether it would be worth emailing their admissions department to tell them about the additional resit and mentioning this? I don't want to come across as negative though.

Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Basically I have a conditional offer from Queen Mary for BA English. The conditions are AA in English Lit and Philosophy. It will definitely be my firm.
    I've since resat the English exam and gotten the A they asked for though I haven't informed them yet, mainly due to this...

When I got the results for January back I noticed that the Philosophy paper I was going to resit is out of 80 marks, I worked it out today with my school and it transpires that it's impossible for me to get the A in Philosophy if I only sit one paper.
    I can either resit an additional paper, or just do the one and not get any higher than the B in Philosophy I already have.

I know that a lot of people get onto their courses if they miss a grade but as it stands I have ABBCb which isn't ideal and as I'm a reapplicant I feel like I've been lucky to get as far as I have with Queen Mary.
    I'm wondering whether that's the extent of my luck and if I don't get that additional A I'll miss out. If it came to that I think they might look over my grades and turn me down on accounts of the C in Media Studies.

Just to cover yourself, I would resit.

Although there may be many success stories out there about unis letting people off even if they slightly slip up, it's not guaranteed. Just because they done it for some students doesn't necessarily mean they will for you

I think resitting would be the safer and wiser option in my opinion. It's good to cover your back

ReputationRep:
    I've read a couple of stories on here about people getting onto the course having missed a grade and even somebody I met on the visit day had a similar stroke of luck, but I am aware of the lack of redeeming qualities my application has considering it's my second and yeah, timing.

I think I will resit both but I'm seriously not very confident at all in doing as well as I'd like. The topics were studied a long time ago and as I've only just found out about all this I only have a few months to try and cover it all.

I don't know whether it would be worth emailing their admissions department to tell them about the additional resit and mentioning this? I don't want to come across as negative though.

Thanks for your reply
    You have to inform both them and UCAS that you are resitting again, otherwise they wont get your result. And remember this year there have been more applicants than ever so no guarentees they can be lenient. As you are already on a gap year you might not want to take a risk again.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.