Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, 1st time posting here

I am currently in my final year at university and was planning on doin a masters next year and I have an interview for a summer internship in ops at morgan stanley (glasgow office). I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I like to have a plan! Assuming I got the internship and was offered a grad role, should I take it and put off doing a masters? See I really want to get into equity trading or research but have been unsuccessful in that. Is it possible to apply for grad schemes within the same organisation after completion of say the grad role in ops? From what I've heard, once your established in a back/middle office role it can be very difficult to move to a front office role.

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult if you start the graduate program in a BO position (almost impossible not difficult). It is more easy if you do just the internship, turn down the full time offer and reapply for fo (full time or internship).
    You should do the internship in the BO this summer and then during the master apply for FO internships...

ReputationRep:
    so its not possible even when the applicant has only completed a two year programme to try and get a position in FO? Its not like he is looking to be an experienced hire. Seeing that a masters takes a year ( i assume you'd be ineligible for for a summer internship the year of your masters due to time) and some can take even 2 years sometimes. I find it weird that its a deadend to be working in ops for two years (one more than the masters). He would have relevent banking experience, has no issue starting with all the others. Why would that not be a viable option?I've seen plenty of experienced hires from other banks apply to graduate programmes. Just would like some elaboration on the matter!

ReputationRep:
    What they told me during Career Fairs and things like that (for IBD only, don't know for S&T) is that they DON'T look for people that have 2 or more years of working experience but they do look for someone that has a relevant experience (i.e. internship) but who has just finished university.
    It could work if you have been working for 6 months or something like that, but I don't think it would if you have completed a 2 years graduate program. The best thing to do IMO, is to try to get an MBA and apply for associate positions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replys. I was kind of in two frames of mind, in that the experience would be good, I would have a foot in the industry and then could move on, but then again if I completed the grad scheme then applied for a FO role, they could be suspect that I would do the same with this role. In other words come across as a bit of a quitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QRL89)
    Thanks for your replys. I was kind of in two frames of mind, in that the experience would be good, I would have a foot in the industry and then could move on, but then again if I completed the grad scheme then applied for a FO role, they could be suspect that I would do the same with this role. In other words come across as a bit of a quitter.
    i think most ppl appreciate how competitive FO roles are. Esp people in FO probably have some suspicion alot of people in mo/bo would like to be in FO (whether it be true or not) so trying to move from a role that aids revenue generation to one that creates it isn't such an unheard of phenomenon. If you have a genuine reason for wanting to move to FO and why you took a BO role then i doubt they'd hold it against you. People do science degrees, engineering, medicine etc and get into FO - by your logic they'd all be quitters too! Its not the case! You'd be staying in banking anyways! So it's not doing a u turn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    It is difficult if you start the graduate program in a BO position (almost impossible not difficult). It is more easy if you do just the internship, turn down the full time offer and reapply for fo (full time or internship).
    You should do the internship in the BO this summer and then during the master apply for FO internships...
    Just out of interest, how could one do this?

Internships are usually designed for those penultimate years, so should the applicant tell in his cover letter that he intends to do another master degree(which is a little bid wired) or take a gap year(which sounds less conducive)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elva2sam)
    Just out of interest, how could one do this?

Internships are usually designed for those penultimate years, so should the applicant tell in his cover letter that he intends to do another master degree(which is a little bid wired) or take a gap year(which sounds less conducive)?
    Not necessarily. I applied for quite a few internships and I'm in my final year of uni. Some internships are like u said, only for 2nd/penultimate year students but not all. My friend whos doing a masters, was also advised at a recent careers event that, he should apply for Jan intake grad roles OR another internship for after graduating

ReputationRep:
    As QRL89 says, there are a lot of opportunities even for final year students.
    Just few banks strictly target peniltimate year students (ie. HSBC, ML, DB and RBS) for their summer program but you can still apply to others (ie. Nomura, JPM, BarCap...) and you can also apply to offcycle internship which are not designed for penultimate year student.

For instance, last year I decided to apply for full time for those banks that do not offer summer internships to final year students and to apply for the summer at all other banks...

Anyway you can also say that you are interesting in another master (I have a friend that got in BarCap Research that already had 1 BSc, 2 MSc and that was going to get its third MSc) or you can enroll in a 2 year master (ie.: Saint Gallen, Bocconi, HEC, ...)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.