Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    hahaa :P i know ! i'm kinda putting all my eggs in one basket here :P lmao i think i might join you in that ! samee, well not for uni, but to keep the old parents happy, i have 196 ums at the moment so i'm confident on getting an A but i think an A* may be pushing it a bit. What about you ? what did you get last year ? and how come you really need an a*.. ? your not one of those oxbridge geeks are you.. ? hahaa jokess ! i know, it's literally killing me ! the same :/ but mehh i'll push through !

and it's okay, only just saw your reply so i'm a bit late in getting back to you too.. must be karma ahaa !
    WOW, with 196 UMS you seem very likely to get an A*! Haha well not exactly...I'm an LSE geek instead ahahahaha. I need an A* to fulfil my offer of A*AA (shoot me now please, thanks! ahah). I got 100 UMS for Philosophy and 87 in Ethics, so I've been working hard to improve the Ethics side of things.

I'm so fed up of revising for this subject though...it's soooo LONG! It's like doing two A-Levels We should get two separate grades ahah

And yup, karma it was ahah

ReputationRep:
    Anybody able to articulate the difference between monism and materialism?
    atm I think it is:
    Monism = the body and soul are one unit and can't exist separately (ie soul can't exist after death)
    Materialism = beings are just physicial entities with no metaphysical unit (ie death is the end)

And therefore, Aristotle is a monist and Dawkins is a materialist?

Anybody care to correct me or expand upon that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Anybody able to articulate the difference between monism and materialism?
    atm I think it is:
    Monism = the body and soul are one unit and can't exist separately (ie soul can't exist after death)
    Materialism = beings are just physicial entities with no metaphysical unit (ie death is the end)

And therefore, Aristotle is a monist and Dawkins is a materialist?

Anybody care to correct me or expand upon that?
    Monism = we are one singly entity. Soft versions would use your definition of a distinction but can't exist separately, but traditional ideas are on the basis of one entity

Every materialist is a monist (both Dawkins and Aristotle are both materialists and monists). However, one form of monism is idealism which says that we are just one entity: soul

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to discuss antirealism with me?
    Oh and does anyone else think the description of the Via Negativa in the book is useless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
    WOW, with 196 UMS you seem very likely to get an A*! Haha well not exactly...I'm an LSE geek instead ahahahaha. I need an A* to fulfil my offer of A*AA (shoot me now please, thanks! ahah). I got 100 UMS for Philosophy and 87 in Ethics, so I've been working hard to improve the Ethics side of things.

I'm so fed up of revising for this subject though...it's soooo LONG! It's like doing two A-Levels We should get two separate grades ahah

And yup, karma it was ahah
    i hope so ! i still don't understand the whole a* process though :/ ahh rigghtt ! omg lol a* and 2 a's that's pretty steep ! and just wait there while i go grab my shot gun ahaa what course are you going for ? and why did you choose LSE if you don't mind me asking ? i'm having a gap year next year so applying through ucas in september and i really want to be in london, i know everyone says how expensive london is but mehh i think if you're going to get into debt you may as well do it in style ! hahaa i'm absolutely in love with kings but i'm not too familiar with any of the other london unis like LSE :/ so would be good to hear why you chose it

that's well good 100 in philosophy ! woahh.. that was such a hard paper as well !

sammeee, it's literally killing me ! and we really should ! or they should at least be on different days, i mean what is that all about !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Is this all we need to know on miracles (self teaching here so please help )
    - Hume's definition
    - Holland's definition
    - Purpose of miracles
    - One or two examples from Bible (Joshua 10, Water --> Wine, Walking on water, Resurrection)
    - Doubting existence of natural laws / acknowledging we don't know all of them --> thus miracles might not exist
    - Hume's criticisms of miracles
    1) Insufficient number of reliable witnesses
    2) People are drawn to the unusual and put reason on the side --> making them susceptible
    3) miracles are from uncivilised societies
    4) multiple faiths all claim their miracle stories are true
    - Evaluating Hume's criticising points
    - Maurice Wiles' moral objection
    - Evaluating Wiles' objections

Anything else I need to know? Is all the info correct so far? please quote when replying. could really do with some reassurance
    cba to see if anyone else has already answered this but yes, i think so. but, tbh, miracles came up in jan so probs won't come up in june

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrrlotte.ox)
    cba to see if anyone else has already answered this but yes, i think so. but, tbh, miracles came up in jan so probs won't come up in june
    Bultmann + Gunkel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samg123)
    Bultmann + Gunkel?
    i read the first page and then decided to do some actual revision

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas on Religious attitudes and Natural Law when applied to business ethics? The textbook I'm using just doesn't have them in (and seeing as I'm practically teaching myself the syllabus, it's a bit of a pain..) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me what we need to know for revelation? The Oliphant textbook is lacking on this...

ReputationRep:
    If a question came up about verification or falsification about evaluate the claim that statements which cannot be verified/falsified tell us nothing about god discuss...how would you evaluate that? Would you include symbol or analogy that tells us something about god or include a cognitive theory? Helppp
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ideal.)
    Can someone explain to me what we need to know for revelation? The Oliphant textbook is lacking on this...
    As in the bullet point: revelation through scripture, or as the 2 topics religious experience and miracles?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chigzy29)
    If a question came up about verification or falsification about evaluate the claim that statements which cannot be verified/falsified tell us nothing about god discuss...how would you evaluate that? Would you include symbol or analogy that tells us something about god or include a cognitive theory? Helppp
    I'd lean more to the cognitive theories of verification, falsification and via negaitiva. I'd evaluate them in terms of what they can tell us about God, conclude that univocal clearly doesn't work, chuck in some Wittgenstein to explain why and do a paragraph on alternatives inc. symbol/myth/analogy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigzy29)
    It depends upon the question asked, but I tend to group religious language in to two groups:

"Whether you can make statements about God"
    i.e. the problem of univocal and equivocal language and philosophers various attempts to get past that problem using symbol, myth, via negativa and analogy

"Whether or not religious language is meaningless"
    i.e. whether religious statements are meaningless because of not being falsifiable or not, and whether they gain meaning through language games etc.

Bare in mind that this is only my way of looking at it so yours will probably differ, and there is a lot of cross-over. So for this question I might just evaluate verification/falsification and see what flaws it has (e.g. historical statements become unverifiable) and whether you can get past it (e.g. eschatological verification).

As long as you answer the question and understand it then you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    As in the bullet point: revelation through scripture, or as the 2 topics religious experience and miracles?
    Just the whole topic "revelation and holy scripture" as in the textbook.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just the whole topic "revelation and holy scripture" as in the textbook.
    The specification says:

Candidates should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following in relation to God and religious belief:
    • arguments from religious experience from William James;
    • the aims and main conclusions drawn by William James in The Varieties of Religious Experience;
    • the following different forms of religious experience: visions, voices, ‘numinous’ experience, conversion experience, corporate religious experience;
    • the concept of revelation through sacred writings.
    Candidates should be able to discuss these areas critically and their strengths and weaknesses.

Miracle - a study of how God might interact with humanity, by looking at the concept of miracle

Candidates should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
    • different definitions of miracle, including an understanding of Hume;
    • the biblical concept of miracle and the issues this raises about God’s activity in the world;
    • the concept of miracle, and criticisms made by Hume and Wiles;
    • the implications of the concept of miracle for the problem of evil.
    Candidates should be able to discuss whether modern people can be expected to believe in miracles, and whether miracles suggest an arbitrary or partisan God. Candidates should be able to discuss these areas critically and their strengths and weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    Thats odd, I just looked up the specification and revelation is ignored in it. It must be bundled into other topics. In the textbook there a a specific chapter on it liek there is for all the other sections e.g. Religious language...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thats odd, I just looked up the specification and revelation is ignored in it. It must be bundled into other topics. In the textbook there a a specific chapter on it liek there is for all the other sections e.g. Religious language...
    No, revelation is the textbook joining of religious experience and miracles.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's got a seperate chapter in my book too! But it's part of religious experience

ReputationRep:
    Hey I sat the A2 ethics paper in January, determinism and conscience came up which was what I was hoping for so I don't think I'm gonna be so lucky next Monday with the philosophy!
    I don't know how you guys have sat both on the same day in AS and A2, it would kill me! I don't think my brain can retain all that information at once, I'm finding it hard to just fit the A2 philosophy in there... and I'm leaving some out. You are all superhuman!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.