Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No.1 Loner)
    Little help on St.Paul?
    It takes a view of the rapture and second coming. We should not be concerned about the environment as it has no future (creation will be destroyed at the end of time). In fact, we should see destruction of the environment as a good sign as it shows the second coming of Christ is soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    It takes a view of the rapture and second coming. We should not be concerned about the environment as it has no future (creation will be destroyed at the end of time). In fact, we should see destruction of the environment as a good sign as it shows the second coming of Christ is soon.
    I see what you are saying, it will be ultimately destroyed so there is almost no point conserving it now. But surely St Paul wouldn't think it was human responsibility to destroy the environment?

ReputationRep:
    Please help me with revelations!
    I'm really confused about it all. This is what I can deduce from it. Could someone please read it, and let me know if I'm on the right track and if I'm missing anything important? Also any more evaluative ideas would be great.... THANK YOU

If we assume that the Biblical revelations were special revelations, in which way was the information revealed? In philosophy there are two ways in which people understand revelation from God- propositional and non-propositional. Often people hold these views at the same time saying that the Bible is a propositional revelation and other experiences are non propositional revelations.
    Propositional revelation
    This is when facts are revealed about God. The Bible is seen in this light traditionally, as God revealed info about himself to the writers. Statements of fact are revealed and there is no need for interpretation. The facts revealed cannot be proved by human reasoning.
    Evaluating propositional revelation:
    • This view holds that the recipient is passive and simply receives the information. Some agree, saying the mind is never truly passive and we have to actively accept knowledge.
    BUT God is omnipotent- regardless of if we passively accept the info, he must be able to impart it
    The mind can be passive eg. In hypnosis
    • It’s hard to know if a propositional revelation is true and genuine
    BUT Aquinas says we can accept revelations as genuine if they fit the teachings of the church
    • Different religions claim different propositional revelations, and these claims conflict
    BUT maybe God is revealing different pieces of the puzzle to each person
    Non-propositional revelation
    This type of revelation is when God does not reveal facts about himself during revelation, and instead reveals himself in experiences eg. Seeing God in a sunset- We deduce his nature from these experiences. Paley saw the human eye as a non-propositional revelation which revealed info about the creation by God. If the Bible is taken in this light, it means that scripture is meant symbolically and we must accept the writers used metaphors to convey truths. We must interpret what is meant, the Bible is only people’s perceptions of what has happened. Humans are free to respond to these revelations since they are not received passively
    Evaluating non-propositional revelation:
    • These revelations are not infallible since they require interpretation of events; it’s not as simple as a straightforward fact being revealed.
    • The content of revelation is not constant EG not everyone looks at the human eye and feels it to be a revelation from God
    • Religious faith based solely on non-propositional revelation from God cannot claim absolute certainty about its belief system since it’s all based on interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally not going to get all my revision done by monday.

I was wondering though, for those who are taking both of them, any idea which paper comes first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)

I was wondering though, for those who are taking both of them, any idea which paper comes first?
    With mine philosophy does, but yet the people who are doing ethics at mine are technically retakers, so your school could do it either way.

ReputationRep:

Are you doing OCR G581/G582? Philosophy is first. 9.00am. then you get a 15 min break between

ReputationRep:
    Hi maybe this is blindingly obvious but can someone just run through the exam timings for me? They're 90 minutes I know, but if we answer two questions that still leaves 20 minutes? Are they just being nice and giving lots of time or am I missing something? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CiaranCummins)
    Hi maybe this is blindingly obvious but can someone just run through the exam timings for me? They're 90 minutes I know, but if we answer two questions that still leaves 20 minutes? Are they just being nice and giving lots of time or am I missing something? Thanks!
    No, you spend 45 mins on each question which comes to 90 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spriteorsevenup)
    by being 'agent-centred' . . .
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Would it be completely foolish to leave out applied ethics? As it is only one topic would they ask more than one question on it? I find it SO difficult and feel like my remaining time would be better spent on the rest of the topics...

EDIT: By applied ethics i mean sex ethics, business ethics environmental.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofy-blues)
    No, you spend 45 mins on each question which comes to 90 mins
    Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up cheers

ReputationRep:
    Would it be completely foolish to leave out applied ethics? As it is only one topic would they ask more than one question on it? I find it SO difficult and feel like my remaining time would be better spent on the rest of the topics...

thanks.
    If you have to drop one, only drop one of the applied ethics. They sometimes ask a question on both sexual ethics and business or environmental ethics, but they never ask more than one question on only one of the two. Also there might be a very easy applied sexual ethics question and an awkward conscience one for example.

ReputationRep:

I probably won't, I have a big history exam on friday, so I may leave some topics out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    Please help me with revelations!
    I'm really confused about it all. This is what I can deduce from it. Could someone please read it, and let me know if I'm on the right track and if I'm missing anything important? Also any more evaluative ideas would be great.... THANK YOU

If we assume that the Biblical revelations were special revelations, in which way was the information revealed? In philosophy there are two ways in which people understand revelation from God- propositional and non-propositional. Often people hold these views at the same time saying that the Bible is a propositional revelation and other experiences are non propositional revelations.
    Propositional revelation
    This is when facts are revealed about God. The Bible is seen in this light traditionally, as God revealed info about himself to the writers. Statements of fact are revealed and there is no need for interpretation. The facts revealed cannot be proved by human reasoning.
    Evaluating propositional revelation:
    • This view holds that the recipient is passive and simply receives the information. Some agree, saying the mind is never truly passive and we have to actively accept knowledge.
    BUT God is omnipotent- regardless of if we passively accept the info, he must be able to impart it
    The mind can be passive eg. In hypnosis
    • It’s hard to know if a propositional revelation is true and genuine
    BUT Aquinas says we can accept revelations as genuine if they fit the teachings of the church
    • Different religions claim different propositional revelations, and these claims conflict
    BUT maybe God is revealing different pieces of the puzzle to each person
    Non-propositional revelation
    This type of revelation is when God does not reveal facts about himself during revelation, and instead reveals himself in experiences eg. Seeing God in a sunset- We deduce his nature from these experiences. Paley saw the human eye as a non-propositional revelation which revealed info about the creation by God. If the Bible is taken in this light, it means that scripture is meant symbolically and we must accept the writers used metaphors to convey truths. We must interpret what is meant, the Bible is only people’s perceptions of what has happened. Humans are free to respond to these revelations since they are not received passively
    Evaluating non-propositional revelation:
    • These revelations are not infallible since they require interpretation of events; it’s not as simple as a straightforward fact being revealed.
    • The content of revelation is not constant EG not everyone looks at the human eye and feels it to be a revelation from God
    • Religious faith based solely on non-propositional revelation from God cannot claim absolute certainty about its belief system since it’s all based on interpretation.
    You have got the right stuff down. Bear in mind revelation came up in January 2011 and it is only a small part of the specification. I would be surprised if it came up on this exam.

ReputationRep:
    have this exam in less than a week, it's nearly two o'clock in the afternoon and i've only just managed to drag myself out of bed... fml ! i am soo failing this

ReputationRep:

thanks.
    They have consistently asked 2 applied questions on every ethics paper so far, so leaving it out commits you to do the other two questions, which depending how comfortable you are with them could be a bad move.

That said I have no plans to answer an applied question ... but I'm preparing anyway because you never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxmatt)
    They have consistently asked applied questions on it in every ethics paper so far, so leaving it out commits you to do the other two questions, which depending how comfortable you are with them could be a bad move.

That said I have no plans to answer an applied question ... but I'm preparing anyway because you never know.
    The nicest possible question on business/environmental ethics is still not going to be one I want to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing OCR G581/G582? Philosophy is first. 9.00am. then you get a 15 min break between
    I am indeed, seeing as this is the thread for it :') Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    I probably won't, I have a big history exam on friday, so I may leave some topics out.
    Ah, a few of my friends have that history exam as well. Good luck! I've been considering leaving out Attributes of God, but spent about 2 hours today looking over it. Regretting it now, as I should have probably spent that time looking over the things I do know to reinforce my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    With mine philosophy does, but yet the people who are doing ethics at mine are technically retakers, so your school could do it either way.
    Thanks Gahh I wish my school put us in for the ethics in January. Learning the topics together feels like I'm revising two A levels :doh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.