Turn on thread page Beta

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    I'm a medic applicant (taking bio/maths/chem/rs) and find it to be my easiest subject, but also my favourite and most interesting. It isn't really directly relevant to medicine content-wise apart from perhaps touching a bit on IVF treatments. Though, most importantly, it equips you with the ability to critically analyse and communicate arguments cogently. Obviously this could be done via English Lit/History too but RS allows a greater emphasis on the nature of the argument rather than the content. While not directly relevant to medicine, it allows for a lot of scope to transfer and apply skills but at the end of the day, it is what you make of it. It will neither advantage or disadvantage you as a subject on its own.

If you have any other med or rs questions, feel free to pm me
    Hey, I chose to study Math, Bio, Chem, and philosophy & Ethics too!

Seeing as the subjects you studied are the same as the ones I chose, can I ask; What did you find most challenging about studying those subjects and A Level in general? And what advice would you give to someone doing the same subjects, next year?

Thanks for the answers btw- they were pretty helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge-Rawr)
    Hey, I chose to study Math, Bio, Chem, and philosophy & Ethics too!

Seeing as the subjects you studied are the same as the ones I chose, can I ask; What did you find most challenging about studying those subjects and A Level in general? And what advice would you give to someone doing the same subjects, next year?

Thanks for the answers btw- they were pretty helpful.
    Will PM you as not to hijack this thread and keep on topic

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anyone figured out what is most likely to come up in both papers??
    I think i'm not going to revise all the topics, just pick the most likely ones (did this last time for AS and it paid off )

ReputationRep:
    Is this all we need to know on miracles (self teaching here so please help )
    - Hume's definition
    - Holland's definition
    - Purpose of miracles
    - One or two examples from Bible (Joshua 10, Water --> Wine, Walking on water, Resurrection)
    - Doubting existence of natural laws / acknowledging we don't know all of them --> thus miracles might not exist
    - Hume's criticisms of miracles
    1) Insufficient number of reliable witnesses
    2) People are drawn to the unusual and put reason on the side --> making them susceptible
    3) miracles are from uncivilised societies
    4) multiple faiths all claim their miracle stories are true
    - Evaluating Hume's criticising points
    - Maurice Wiles' moral objection
    - Evaluating Wiles' objections

Anything else I need to know? Is all the info correct so far? please quote when replying. could really do with some reassurance
    you also need to know paul tilichs definition of a miracle as a coincidental event given religious meaning by a religious believer and also humes lack of probability argument that miracles are not impossible but are only believable if the probability of the testament being false is less that the probability that the miracle occurred

hope that helps just took my mock yesterday and didnt realise how many topics we have covered

ReputationRep:
    so does anyone have any ideas on what questions are likely to come up ?

ReputationRep:
    Noo idea whats going to come up, i'm hoping NOT sacred writings or RELIGIOUS language. The questions are quite tricky, ill spend more time thinking about it than writing!

ReputationRep:
    Defo thing something on nature of god- hopefully god being eternal!
    Ethics I'm 100% sure it'll be meta ethics! :/

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Meta ethics should come up.. and maybe virtue ethics

also for philosophy, attributes of God and miracles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucydeakin)
    I agree, Meta ethics should come up.. and maybe virtue ethics

also for philosophy, attributes of God and miracles
    If those topics come up then I'll be so happy Let's hope that your predictions are right!!

I want to avoid applied ethics at all costs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieax)
    Noo idea whats going to come up, i'm hoping NOT sacred writings or RELIGIOUS language. The questions are quite tricky, ill spend more time thinking about it than writing!
    Haha I despise sacred writings with all my heart!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sophieax)
    What does sacred writing come under - religious language?

ReputationRep:
    Wow the Jan 2011 papers looked blergh!!

Hows revision going guys?

ReputationRep:
    It's going okay-ish, still worried about ethics... anyone got any good notes for any ethics topics - i have made some great philosophy ones so would be willing to trade!
    Also, slightly unclear about Aristotle & the soul - is he a materialist or monist?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Been_22)
    It's going okay-ish, still worried about ethics... anyone got any good notes for any ethics topics - i have made some great philosophy ones so would be willing to trade!
    Also, slightly unclear about Aristotle & the soul - is he a materialist or monist?
    I do, if you give me a PM I'll send you all of mine for a swap!
    He is both a materialist (empiricist and emphasises matter) and monist (there is no platonic soul, only knowledge)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the January 2011 AS paper?!

ReputationRep:
    Me too, just in the middle of my exams, my ethics one is in 3 weeks :'( . . . I seem to find Virtue and Meta ethics the hardest, I really do not understand it , just hope it don't come up on my exam anyway good luck to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    What does sacred writing come under - religious language?
    I thought it came under Miracles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    thanks clareicles for posting the january 2011 questions does anybody have the questions for the january and june 2009 papers ? i am right in thinking this syllabus has been running since january 2009, and so there are currently 5 past papers ? from looking at the questions from the january 2010, june 2010, and january 2011 papers this is what i've found.. hope it helps

PHILOSOPHY
    for this paper it seems that it's either going to be miracles or religious experience which comes up, and not both together, just as last year with the as i found there would either be a question on plato or aristotle. So as miracles was on this january i think religious experience will be up ! there also seems to be a favourite re-occuring topic with ocr, on the as it was the topic on God's nature e.g. omniscience, omni-benevolence etc. hence why the question i believed would be solely on aristotle was actually combined with the idea that the prime mover can be compared to god as a craftsman. with the a2 i think it's safe to say they love the religious language topic.. it is on all the past papers i've come across !
    so my predictions would be:

religious language

attributes/nature of god

religious experience

life after death- this seems to be a re-occuring topic aswell !

holy scripture and revelation is hardly ever on so that could be there instead of religious language or life after death !

ETHICS
    for ethics sexual ethics has come up on every paper i've come across ! it seems it is one of the applied ethics topics which occurs on the paper and not both. this january it was environment so i think it will be business this year

my predictions would be:
    business ethics

meta ethics - it hasn't been on the paper since january 2010

virtue ethics- though i'm not sure if they put virtue ethics AND metaethics up on the same paper ! i'm sure these two topics have links

conscience- this seems to come up on one paper, and then be excluded from the next, and up again the next time.. it wasn't up in january 2011 hence i think it could be up this time !

as much as i love free will and determinism i'm pretty sure it won't be on, so if virtue ethics isn't up i'd say that 3rd question would be a sexual ethics one !

anyways hope this helps like umm123 i did this last year and it seemed to pay off as i got 196/200.. though the philosophy paper was rather hard so i'm guessing the grade boundaries were quite low for that ! sorry about the length of this post as well, just thought i may as well share

conscience came up on the 2011 jan paper

ReputationRep:
    ohh rightt, thank you ! will have to check that.. i don't really like conscience that much though, i tend to waffle a lot when answering on this, so may just skip over that topic ! thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Is this all we need to know on miracles (self teaching here so please help )
    - Hume's definition
    - Holland's definition
    - Purpose of miracles
    - One or two examples from Bible (Joshua 10, Water --> Wine, Walking on water, Resurrection)
    - Doubting existence of natural laws / acknowledging we don't know all of them --> thus miracles might not exist
    - Hume's criticisms of miracles
    1) Insufficient number of reliable witnesses
    2) People are drawn to the unusual and put reason on the side --> making them susceptible
    3) miracles are from uncivilised societies
    4) multiple faiths all claim their miracle stories are true
    - Evaluating Hume's criticising points
    - Maurice Wiles' moral objection
    - Evaluating Wiles' objections

Anything else I need to know? Is all the info correct so far? please quote when replying. could really do with some reassurance
    Hi, I'd also include Aquinas. How miracles are not violations of laws of nature, because anything God does, as creator, is natural. They are things which only God could do and wouldn't usually occur in nature.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.