Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    I still don't understand why the ethics and philosophy are on the same day. There is so *?!*@~# much to learn.
    I think it's because there are so many options to do that they couldn't spread it out.

Why don't they make two set lists of options to do on two seperate days?
    It would be much easier for all students involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccasem11)
    I think it's because there are so many options to do that they couldn't spread it out.

Why don't they make two set lists of options to do on two seperate days?
    It would be much easier for all students involved
    Exactly. Some of the options like these two go hand in hand and it would be quite easy to make lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    Philosophical investigations is quite good for ethics notes....don't know anywhere for philosophy notes though, sorry.
    Thanks - just checked it out and they have some helpful stuff on free will and determinism

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand why the ethics and philosophy are on the same day. There is so *?!*@~# much to learn.
    They are bullies!!!! Then they complain when they can't read our handwriting, when we have been writing for a solid three hours!!! Grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    guys help ! is god' and morality, the eupyphro dilemma.. or whatever it's called ! is that free will and determinism ? or something completely separate ? i'm never going to get through all this in time :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccasem11)
    Thanks - just checked it out and they have some helpful stuff on free will and determinism
    You are of being very welcome

ReputationRep:
    They are bullies!!!! Then they complain when they can't read our handwriting, when we have been writing for a solid three hours!!! Grrrr!
    My handwriting is awful at the beginning of the 3 hours anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    guys help ! is god' and morality, the eupyphro dilemma.. or whatever it's called ! is that free will and determinism ? or something completely separate ? i'm never going to get through all this in time :/
    Euthyphro dilemma
    1. Divine commands are good because God commands them-voluntarism
    2. Divine commands are commanded by God because they are good-Platonism

I don't think it has anything to do with free will.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think for the ethics paper, revising just meta and virtue is too much of a big risk?
    I dont have time to do anything else and think they'll be on but they could be sneaky and repeat something else :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can anyone explain the modern views of virtue ethics please? I don't get what each of the views are stating.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloth1)
    Do you think for the ethics paper, revising just meta and virtue is too much of a big risk?
    I dont have time to do anything else and think they'll be on but they could be sneaky and repeat something else :/
    Yes. There are 5 issues, they normally only ask questions on 4 of them. Therefore you should revise at least 3 issues (because one might not come up). Virtue ethics is likely to be applied if it comes up, but another ethical theory could take its place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloth1)
    I do think that that is too big a risk...what if both the questions are horrible? If I were you I would look over the applied ethics too - business/environment and sexual - or at least one of them seeing as they are both normally on the paper - that way you will be prepared for three of the subjects likely to come up and you can do the applied ethics question if the meta or the virtue question is horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kar09)
    Hey, can anyone explain the modern views of virtue ethics please? I don't get what each of the views are stating.
    Thank you.
    Most of them don't express anything new, but they just stress certain parts. I'm doing this from memory, but I'll check I'm right before I press 'post'

-ANSCOMBE: 1958, "Modern Moral Philosophy". Didn't add anything new, but 'revived' Virtue Ethics by suggesting that a society that was rapidly rejecting God should use an ethical theory that can be applied to secular + religious societies (i.e. Virtue Ethics)
    -FOOT: Stressed the idea of universal eudaimonia; said the aim of V.E. was to improve society as a whole
    -NUSSBAUM: virtues are imperatives; therefore "courage" being a virtue actually means "thou shalt be courageous"
    -MACINTYRE: disagrees with Nussbaum; says relativism in V.E. is important, so absolutes should be avoided. Differentiated internal good (giving money to charity) and external good (telling others to give money to charity).

Another thinker you should remember, although not a virtue ethicist, is:
    -POJMAN: some things (e.g. torture) are universally wrong - this is a weakness of virtue ethics, as it is so relativist that it would sometimes allow these things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranJones)
    Most of them don't express anything new, but they just stress certain parts. I'm doing this from memory, but I'll check I'm right before I press 'post'

-ANSCOMBE: 1958, "Modern Moral Philosophy". Didn't add anything new, but 'revived' Virtue Ethics by suggesting that a society that was rapidly rejecting God should use an ethical theory that can be applied to secular + religious societies (i.e. Virtue Ethics)
    -FOOT: Stressed the idea of universal eudaimonia; said the aim of V.E. was to improve society as a whole
    -NUSSBAUM: virtues are imperatives; therefore "courage" being a virtue actually means "thou shalt be courageous"
    -MACINTYRE: disagrees with Nussbaum; says relativism in V.E. is important, so absolutes should be avoided. Differentiated internal good (giving money to charity) and external good (telling others to give money to charity).

-POJMAN: some things (e.g. torture) are universally wrong - this is a weakness of virtue ethics, as it is so relativist that it would sometimes allow these things
    I thought it was Robert Louden who said that some things are always wrong, such as rape? Or was it both of them? I have never heard of your person before, wheras Louden was specifically criticizing virtue ethics...?

ReputationRep:
    Gah! How are you guys revising now? Are you just re-reading your notes? I just reread all my notes, planned a few essays, and I don't know what else to do to revise :/ Reading over the stuff I already know doesn't feel like it is helping at all

ReputationRep:
    Gah! How are you guys revising now? Are you just re-reading your notes? I just reread all my notes, planned a few essays, and I don't know what else to do to revise :/ Reading over the stuff I already know doesn't feel like it is helping at all
    You are further ahead than others, including me. If I were you I would plan more essays and look at the examiners' reports.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely got to the point where I'm reading the information but none of it's going in. Time to cry I think!

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing this but now none of it's going in and I think it's doing more harm than good. Maybe I should just go to bed.. haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranJones)

Ohh. Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    You are further ahead than others, including me. If I were you I would plan more essays and look at the examiners' reports.
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    I've been doing this but now none of it's going in and I think it's doing more harm than good. Maybe I should just go to bed.. haha.
    Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm going to leave it for an hour or so then come back to it though, because I feel like my brain is turning to mush! There is so much to read over...I think this proves that the God of traditional theism is not omnibenevolent!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.