Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italianmario)
    Could anyone explain Hare's prescriptivism to me please? really struggling.

I understand it's a development of Ayer's emotivism in that ethical statements do not merely express a feeling but also command or prescribe a certain action and this is universalisable but is there more to it than that? (i.e. Hare's ordinary language philosophy)
    What you have said is basically it. Just consider the implications and criticisms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranJones)
    Virtue ethics essay plan:

Could I get some feedback on this? Any glaring omissions? My RS teacher stresses taking a personal viewpoint whilst showing both sides of the argument, so I've gone for 30% for, 70% against.
    An essay as wide as that is not going to have an expected plan. It is about what YOU think about virtue ethics, you need to assess the strengths and weaknesses and come to your own conclusion. I think the point your RS teacher was getting at is that you need to consider criticisms against the position you want to hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    It sounds like you're going to do really well... being on this thread sure does make me more nervous!

I'm still doing Philosophy and haven't really got anywhere... there's just so much, and you never know what the question will be focused on- William James, Hume, Wiles! There's too many possibilities and not enough time to learn everything. I'm planning to stay up all night and do Ethics.
    No I won't, trust me lol I haven't revised enough, I had 3 exams last week gone on 1 on Monday and 2 on Friday so I couldn't really revise last week just gone. Minimal revision has and is being done which sucks.

Fml lol, I just hope nice topics come up.

Don't stay up too late, I did that Monday just gone and it backfired a little.

Make sure you get some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    Unfortunately I'm not omniscient
    hahahaa so wish i could rep that but i'm out ! :P i i wish i had just a few more days to revise all my exams are so darn close together this year it's so difficult to juggle revision.. and to top that i'm just awful at time management and organisation in general ! i'm soo failing

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is considering doing an all-nighter, please don't. You will under perform in the exam. Just get up really early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    i planned to get up at 9 but my alarm didn't go off so ended up waking up at 12.. fml ! i was up till 4 am though :/
    Lol that happens to me alot. -__-

Hows revision been today?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me Hare's Bliks? I understand the whole concept of them but not their application - Are they used to show that Religious Language has meaning even if it isn't proven logical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Not wanting to be cringey, but best of luck everyone, you all deserve to do amazing!
    Aww thats so sweet! Good luck to you too! From reading and answering your posts over the past couple of days though I am sure you will do great!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    Thank you. And, to be uber cringey, good luck in life.. definitely realised that I've 100% got to kiss the ucl dream goodbye. Ah, we may never meet now

haha, good luck to you tooo, ucl buddy
    I know I'll be seeing you at UCL in a few months, let me know how this exam goes (and the others!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideal.)
    Can someone explain to me Hare's Bliks? I understand the whole concept of them but not their application - Are they used to show that Religious Language has meaning even if it isn't proven logical?
    Hare said that we all have ideas about the world which are not verifiable or falsifiable, but which are still meaningful to use due to their impacts on our lives. He then gave the example of the lunatic who thought his dons were trying to kill him - an unverifiable claim, but nonetheless meaningful to the lunatic. Hare then said that religious belief is a type of blik - it is not verifiable or falisifiable, but it is still meaningful to religious believers.

ReputationRep:
    are the secular views of conscience in support of determinism? like freud fromm piaget etc because they say conscience is just a result of social conditioning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Lol that happens to me alot. -__-

Hows revision been today?
    it sucks but better than being half dead i suppose ! and okay i guess i just tend to make quite a bit of head way with one and neglect the other. so i've moved onto ethics, got quite a good grasp on meta ethics. i'm so soo hoping that will be up ! i don't know whether to revise free will and determinism or sexual ethics next though.. any thoughts ? how's yours doing ? have you gone through every topic ? i'm kind of start to regret my risky approach :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It was against the falsification principle

He argued that religious beliefs is a blik. Therefore, it is not a set of propositions watered down like Flew argued but a non-cognitive belief and for that person still has meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olieone)
    are the secular views of conscience in support of determinism? like freud fromm piaget etc because they say conscience is just a result of social conditioning
    In a sense yes.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've learnt you use them to defend the view that religious language is meaningful (i.e against falsification/verification) as it has a life-changing effect, so must be meaningful to that person even if it can't be proved empirically etc - i,e a Christian's belief in God could be seen as a 'blik'

(However, there are also criticisms to this from Hick - i.e Hare's example of the crazy uni student had an 'insane blik' but hick says we cannot differentiate between sane/insane if we cannot work out if they're right/wrong. Also, Hare argues that bliks aren't based upon reason, but Hare says that religion belief is based upon reason, as the beleive - usually - has had a religious exp/believes in the Bible, so has formed their belief in God...)

Hope this helps, and please (anyone) correct me if i'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    In a sense yes.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    i think the bliks is to do with the fact that we have a perception/belief of the world which cannot be verified or falsified. the story of the man who believes his colleagues are trying to kill him, despite evidence proving otherwise, illustrates the way in which believers will not be dissuaded from their belief in god, and so not allow it to be falsified.

yet because this belief in God makes a significant difference to their lives it is not meaningless.

then you can further the argument with basil mitchell, who uses the parable of the partisan and the stranger to demonstrate how believers do recognise challenges to faith without allowing them to be conclusively falsified.

hope this helps it comes under the falsification principle though ! so we don't have to verify a statement but we must be able to falsify it in order for it to be meaningful !

such a long and heavy topic ! it just drags on and on in my textbook from school thank god all this will be over soon !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    What you have said is basically it. Just consider the implications and criticisms
    ok thanks. so essentially an AO1 paragraph for prescriptivism would be:

- rejects Ayer's emotivist argument that ethical statements merely express values
    - argues that ethical statements exhort, command or prescribe that action
    - ethical statements as prescriptive are universalisable to be meaningful.
    - universalisable - cohering with itself, with world and cohering within a person's framwork propostions of belief
    - i.e. "stealing is bad." is the same as saying "one should not steal and nor will I"

But criticisms would be :
    -It is relativist - i.e. no moral absolutes so a fanatic could ascribe morally wrong actions (e.g. murder) to all.
    - Too subjective - Society sees some actions as absolute wrongs and therefore rather incompatible with society.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really nervous about both philosophy and ethics exams :-(
    I haven't learnt sexual ethics and i'm not keen on business ethics but would probably answer it if the question was worded nicely!
    I'm hoping this isn't too risky... :-S
    Really need some nice questions..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italianmario)
    - rejects Ayer's emotivist argument that ethical statements merely express values
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it rejects Ayer's emotivism, but rather, it builds upon it. Emotivism is part of the non-cognitive theories of meta ethics, believing that ethical language is not objective or factual, merely subjective. Similarly, prescriptivism is on the non-cognitive side, however, is more extreme than emotivism, where, like you said, the person wishes to prescribe and in a sense 'make' that person act in a certain way.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.