Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain soft determinism. How do it combine Cause and effect and free will?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by wallace32)
    Could someone explain soft determinism. How do it combine Cause and effect and free will?
    We are determined by that so complex and numerous it almost becomes random. We have free will despite what led us to the action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    it sucks but better than being half dead i suppose ! and okay i guess i just tend to make quite a bit of head way with one and neglect the other. so i've moved onto ethics, got quite a good grasp on meta ethics. i'm so soo hoping that will be up ! i don't know whether to revise free will and determinism or sexual ethics next though.. any thoughts ? how's yours doing ? have you gone through every topic ? i'm kind of start to regret my risky approach :/
    Mine? Horrible lol.

I just finished Meta Ethics, its not as bad as I thought it was tbh but I probably wouldn't answer a question on it over applied ethics/conscience :P

Naoo I haven't got enough time to go through every topic as much as I would like to. =/

I'm looking to read
    - Meta Ethics (done)
    - Conscience (to be read next)
    - Virtue Ethics
    - Sexual Ethics (kinda straight forward?)
    - Business/Enviro Ethics (briefly for enviro)

Then I need to reread my Philosophy notes, but I just feel so tired, yet I haven't revised fully today if that makes any sense?

Its safe to drop one topic out but obvs it limits down your choices to 3 topics, i'd go for sexual ethics though.

I'm more worried about Ethics than Philosophy tbh -__-

ReputationRep:
    From what I gathered, we have freedom to act without any external pressure, but our choices/values/desires are determined. These causes behind our actions though are so complex that they lead to random effects, so don't always determine a specific action.

This also leads us to have moral responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Mine? Horrible lol.

I just finished Meta Ethics, its not as bad as I thought it was tbh but I probably wouldn't answer a question on it over applied ethics/conscience :P

Naoo I haven't got enough time to go through every topic as much as I would like to. =/

I'm looking to read
    - Meta Ethics (done)
    - Virtue Ethics

Then I need to reread my Philosophy notes, but I just feel so tired, yet I haven't revised fully today if that makes any sense?

Its safe to drop one topic out but obvs it limits down your choices to 3 topics, i'd go for sexual ethics though.

same, way more worried about ethics...

ReputationRep:
    I've revised but I'm panicking like crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoozth)
    I know how you feel. My stomachs already doing somersaults and it's tomorrow morning. I just want this exam to be out the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    I know how you feel. My stomachs already doing somersaults and it's tomorrow morning. I just want this exam to be out the way!
    There's so much material I'm scared I won't remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    We are determined by that so complex and numerous it almost becomes random. We have free will despite what led us to the action.
    Could you link it to the Chaos theory then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm making revision cards and when I do one word everything comes flooding back but when i try from no word triggers I remember nothing like my mind is blank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoozth)
    Same! It could all go so wrong depending on the questions, but there's nothing more we can do now!

Good luck - this time tomorrow it'll all be over.. THANK GOODNESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Mine? Horrible lol.

I'm looking to read
    - Meta Ethics (done)
    - Virtue Ethics

hahaa ohh dear !

and i'd love for met-ethics to come, it's pretty straightforward. makes total sense ! i've also got a virus which doesn't help matters.. another blood test on the way.. ohh the joys ! :P

i was going to look at virtue and business, as i made notes on this, and then sexual which your right is rather straightforward. i haven't properly revised it but i only ready kind of know what some theories would say, like kant, you can't use people as a means to an end as this would go against the categorical imperative and moral maxims, so therefore using someone for your own sexual enjoyment is wrong etc. etc.

and natural law, the foundation for christian belief, would say pre-marital sex and homosexuality and contraception is all wrong because its denying and going against this belief that marriage is for procreation.

soo hopefully i could squeeze virtue ethics in there somewhere !

same really, it has been on every year. i was thinking they might ask it this year in relation to homosexuality :/ because in light of the advances regarding homosexual relations and society becoming more accepting, legalised civil partner ships etc. so it's kind of current if you get me ! and looking at past questions they've never focused on homosexuality or contraception, just the different ethical approaches and focuses specifically on a natural law approach.. just a thought though !

i don't know ! last year it was definitely ethics i was more worried for but this year i just don't know ! it's more the fact i'm counting on life after death and religious language coming up for philosophy and if they don't i'm pretty screwed :/ but i do find ethics a lot easier and more enjoyable than philosophy this year !

hope you do well whatever though just realised they've asked one year on homosexuality, then the next, which was jan. 2011, on pre-marital sex, contraception for this year maybe ? and due to immense lack of time, virtue ethics or free will and determinism ?

ReputationRep:
    just having a go at reading through all my notes then off to bed good luck tomorrow everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee =))
    Same! It could all go so wrong depending on the questions, but there's nothing more we can do now!

Good luck - this time tomorrow it'll all be over.. THANK GOODNESS!
    I've missed out sexual ethics and symbolism in philosophy and the others are ok for me but my legs are even shaking

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised that I'm actuallly shocking at concluding essays. Anyone got a basic sum up of how they would finish an essay? I always find myself just summarising the whole essay, but I know it needs more depth than that.

Also, are you going to be doing a quick little plan at the beginning? I didn't last year (despite being told always to plan) but I'm worried it'll take up precious time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italianmario)
    ok thanks. so essentially an AO1 paragraph for prescriptivism would be:

- rejects Ayer's emotivist argument that ethical statements merely express values
    - argues that ethical statements exhort, command or prescribe that action
    - ethical statements as prescriptive are universalisable to be meaningful.
    - universalisable - cohering with itself, with world and cohering within a person's framwork propostions of belief
    - i.e. "stealing is bad." is the same as saying "one should not steal and nor will I"

But criticisms would be :
    -It is relativist - i.e. no moral absolutes so a fanatic could ascribe morally wrong actions (e.g. murder) to all.
    - Too subjective - Society sees some actions as absolute wrongs and therefore rather incompatible with society.
    Yes that's good. Because it is so subjective virtually any command can be prescribed-whether it is evil or pointless because there are no absolutes under this theory. It gives wide scope for moral debate but at the same time rationality is required to formulate the prescriptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    I've just realised that I'm actuallly shocking at concluding essays. Anyone got a basic sum up of how they would finish an essay? I always find myself just summarising the whole essay, but I know it needs more depth than that.

Also, are you going to be doing a quick little plan at the beginning? I didn't last year (despite being told always to plan) but I'm worried it'll take up precious time.
    I would think of your conclusion before you start the essay. Your conclusion should sum up your essay, and then reach a final judgement on the question, it should be your overall view.

ReputationRep:
    Could you link it to the Chaos theory then?
    Chaos theory goes more with the libertarian view-it is the idea every little thing makes a difference to the overall outcome, and so a preordained destiny is an impossible concept

ReputationRep:
    Covered all topics except parts of nature of God, and sexual ethics. But I have probably forgotten stuff I learnt yesterday so will need to go back over the other topics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    I would think of your conclusion before you start the essay. Your conclusion should sum up your essay, and then reach a final judgement on the question, it should be your overall view.
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2012

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.