Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    Chaos theory goes more with the libertarian view-it is the idea every little thing makes a difference to the overall outcome, and so a preordained destiny is an impossible concept
    chaos theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofy-blues)
    chaos theory?
    Basically says that anything that everything does have small but overall important effects e.g. the flutter of a butterfly's wings could change weather patterns in different parts of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
    YES! I finally get it.

Just to clarify then, for Philosophy:
    Cognitive:
    - Verification Principle
    - Falsification Principle
    - Language Games
    - Via Negativa

Non-Cognitive:
    - Symbol
    - Myth
    - Analogy

Ethics:
    Cognitive:
    - Naturalism

Non-Cognitive:
    - Emotivism
    - Prescriptivism
    - Intuitionism

Hopefully these are correct!

Thanks in advance
    Intuitionism is cognitive- it still says you can know what moral statements mean but its through intuition (gut feeling) and not empirical evidence

ReputationRep:
    Basically says that anything that everything does have small but overall important effects e.g. the flutter of a butterfly's wings could change weather patterns in different parts of the world.
    like the beginning of The Butterfly Effect If you've ever seen that film!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I don't wish to throw a spanner in the works at this stage, but has anyone heard of 'Wittgenstein's Picture Theory' in class?
    It was on a list of essay questions from my Philosophy teacher (I haven't had chance to see him to ask if we need to know it)
    It isn't specifically mentioned on the Syllabus (Though it just says 'Wittgenstein' rather than 'Language Games' - all I've done is Language Games, and there's no mention of Picture theory in the OCR giant revision guide, but I was just wondering if we can rule it out by lots of studentroomers saying 'no, never heard of it'...

Good luck everyone! We're all terrified, but it'll be over soon

ReputationRep:
    I've now reached the point where I want to cry - so

Anyone out there feeling the same. I say: "OCR RS Solidarity" and something along the lines of "All for one and one for all"
    This thread though is amazing. The plans and help people have put up are so helpful, especially now in my panicked mind!
    See ya in the exam hall tomorrow guys- I'll be thinking about you...and Wittgenstein. Damn he looks good in black and white.
    Anyway.
    Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, do your best, and answer the question! See you on the other side

ReputationRep:
    with regards to the environment/business and sexual ethics, most questions that seem to come up are in relation to a specific ethic (e.g natural law). 35 marks seems a lot for something that sounds very specific. So, i guess you'd be comparing the specific ethic to the others? and be filling general information about the subject in too (e.g RCs don't like homosexuality..)

am i on the right lines?

thanks everyone, feel part of a unit in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dixxy)
    with regards to the environment/business and sexual ethics, most questions that seem to come up are in relation to a specific ethic (e.g natural law). 35 marks seems a lot for something that sounds very specific. So, i guess you'd be comparing the specific ethic to the others? and be filling general information about the subject in too (e.g RCs don't like homosexuality..)

am i on the right lines?

thanks everyone, feel part of a unit in this thread!
    I would do so, yeah, but I guess it depends on the question. As long as you show knowledge that you make relevant and use it to criticise/support, I think that's all they're looking for and can take it in whatever direction you like really

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, do your best, and answer the question! See you on the other side
    now is that in an embodied existance or a disembodied one!? Haha, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    now is that in an embodied existance or a disembodied one!? Haha, good luck!
    personally, i take the view that anyone who makes a philosophy pun at this stressful time is a bit of a Kant.

ReputationRep:
    Awh guys, I'll miss you Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dixxy)
    personally, i take the view that anyone who makes a philosophy pun at this stressful time is a bit of a Kant.
    haha, right back at you! :') sorry.. I'll stop

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed that the questions are nice. (Nature of God, nature of God, nature of God...:crossedf: Oh! And sexual ethics.)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any guesses as to what will come up in ethics??

Im hoping it will be: Meta-ethics, Virtue Ethics, Conscience and any applied ethics.

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck for tomorrow guys we'll be finished by lunchtime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioChocolate)
    Hi everyone,
    I don't wish to throw a spanner in the works at this stage, but has anyone heard of 'Wittgenstein's Picture Theory' in class?
    It was on a list of essay questions from my Philosophy teacher (I haven't had chance to see him to ask if we need to know it)
    It isn't specifically mentioned on the Syllabus (Though it just says 'Wittgenstein' rather than 'Language Games' - all I've done is Language Games, and there's no mention of Picture theory in the OCR giant revision guide, but I was just wondering if we can rule it out by lots of studentroomers saying 'no, never heard of it'...

Good luck everyone! We're all terrified, but it'll be over soon
    I'm not sure if this is it but he says 'the human body is the best picture of the human soul' :/

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me a scholar (apart from Aquinas) who agrees with a Boethian perspective that God's omniscience is consistent with free will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritishOcelot)
    Can anyone give me a scholar (apart from Aquinas) who agrees with a Boethian perspective that God's omniscience is consistent with free will?
    What did Aquinas actually say to agree with Boethius?

ReputationRep:
    Covered all topics except parts of nature of God, and sexual ethics. But I have probably forgotten stuff I learnt yesterday so will need to go back over the other topics
    I've missed out nature of God aswell... hope we've made the right decision - getting a bit worried now

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.