Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleschnapps)
    I like to think it's just that because I've covered so much revising that I'm automatically going to feel that I haven't covered enough, but I really don't know, and now I'm just hoping I'll get a B overall and hope for the best for my other subjects. I just wish there wasn't so much pressure on these exams. (Also I am totally jealous of people that do Philosophy or Ethics in January.)
    Same! If I only had to do Philosophy things would have been easier

I'm hoping that that is the problem, rather than me just not writing enough ideas down. Hopefully we managed to pull it off somehow
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anna Louise)
    woahh that's amazing, i think i got 99 in ethics last summer :/ and 97 in philosophy, not too sure though ! 196 ums over all though, really want the a* though, so hopefully i've pulled it off !
    Thanks, and good luck

I got mid 80s in both at AS, but then again, AS was too Godish for my liking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I managed to sneak in a bit of Heidegger and Kierkegaard, I was quite proud :P

I assume your doing philosophy at uni by your sig?
    Nicely done! It seems that you've beaten me on the existentialism front, though I rambled about Sartre towards the end of the 3 hour slog on free will ... still, not quite as sly as the Malebranche.

Well deduced about the philosophy You seem quite keen on philosophy, might you also be an applicant? Or are you instead hoping to get a job :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forever a Gnome)
    All these names make me feel like I've reeaally not written enough, sehr mediocre, especially since I realise I could've added them
    Don't worry, in my case it was more of a mention and brief analysis rather than an in depth exploration, so I doubt it will affect my mark either way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Oxmatt)
    Nicely done! It seems that you've beaten me on the existentialism front, though I rambled about Sartre towards the end of the 3 hour slog on free will ... still, not quite as sly as the Malebranche.

Well deduced about the philosophy You seem quite keen on philosophy, might you also be an applicant? Or are you instead hoping to get a job :P
    I got some sartre in there too, I think it was more of a 'how many people can I name drop to make me sound interesting' test than anything else :P

Applied for psych, but I love philosophy as a hobby (if that's the right word?) especially existentialism <3 Serious respect for doing it at uni, I think it's the most challenging and intellectual subjects out there! What's your favourite area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
    Hahaha same here, and to think I need an A* for this subject LOL
    I wanted an A* so badly, or at least an A since I'm doing the subject at uni! I feel like I've done **** though, which is so dissapointing considering you can know loads about a topic, be deeply interested in it or whatever, but mess up the exam due to time constraints, nervousness, not focusing on the question. IHWRITOHWTUIWHY3HUIH\!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxmatt)
    Don't worry, in my case it was more of a mention and brief analysis rather than an in depth exploration, so I doubt it will affect my mark either way
    I'm hoping so! (for my sake not yours, if you remembered to do it I'm sure you're fine for grades)
    Regretting my uni choice, waaaa!

ReputationRep:
    I got some sartre in there too, I think it was more of a 'how many people can I name drop to make me sound interesting' test than anything else :P

Applied for psych, but I love philosophy as a hobby (if that's the right word?) especially existentialism <3 Serious respect for doing it at uni, I think it's the most challenging and intellectual subjects out there! What's your favourite area?
    The questions on the paper weren't that tricky in themselves as they had been before, so I felt the need to actively go and say "look at me, I've been stretched and challenged!" in the questions whether or not it was actually useful lol

I think my favourite area is probably the philosophy of language or epistemology, but I tend to think more in terms of favourite philosophers, which top of the list for me is Hume, who rocks. I'm a big fan though of the phenomenological approach which I reckon has been ignored too much by analytic philosophy and has made it pretty dry in some areas, which is where existentialism has its strength I guess (sorry if that's a completely wrong view lol). Psych I reckon is pretty closely linked to philosophy in some areas as well, though I'm too tired to make out how :P My mum did psych at uni and is a Jungian psychologist so for me it's just been 'what my mum does' and it's only recently through Phil & Eth that I've studied it and actually realised it's quite interesting (plus she's a good revision source :P)

ReputationRep:
    e
    I did this in January, name dropped and quote dropped, went for scope not depth, and after three examiner remarks still wasn't moved up from 62% with my essay technique described as 'a shopping list'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    I did this in January, name dropped and quote dropped, went for scope not depth, and after three examiner remarks still wasn't moved up from 62% with my essay technique described as 'a shopping list'
    This has got my really worried now, I name dropped quite a bit. But having said that, I still wrote depth on the main people involved. Balls, maybe I've just kissed goodbye to university.. :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    This has got my really worried now, I name dropped quite a bit. But having said that, I still wrote depth on the main people involved. Balls, maybe I've just kissed goodbye to university.. :doh:
    Well it depends, if it was DIRECTLY related to the question you'll be fine, but if it looks like you're name dropping for names-dropping sake then you might have fallen in the same trap...But its done now, I didn't mean to scare you, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    Was so happy when 'religious language is meaningless came up', apart from that one i also did the one on life after death but didn't feel as confident on that one, also ran out of time cos there was so much to write on religious language! ethics paper wasn't as good, i did the meta ethics and free will one. preferred meta ethics, though!
    Yep I did exactly the same. Preferred philosophy

What happens if you get a couple of philosophers mixed up (RM Hare and John Hick to be precise)?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know why but i came out of the exam really confident yesterday and pretty sure i'd kept my a grade and then i woke of this morning completely doubting myself, thinking if i'd even answered the questions right and put in adequate content... fml ! i hate theology i think i might just start in burning any notes and books which have any relation to this subject..out of sight, out of mind ! :P hahaa

ReputationRep:
    i don't know why but i came out of the exam really confident yesterday and pretty sure i'd kept my a grade and then i woke of this morning completely doubting myself, thinking if i'd even answered the questions right and put in adequate content... fml ! i hate theology i think i might just start in burning any notes and books which have any relation to this subject..out of sight, out of mind ! :P hahaa
    Yep. Couldn't get to sleep last night because all I was thinking about was how general my answers were, and not that deep in content (I think). And then thinking numbers, and what I'd need to get an A ectect. I want to forget about it and concentrate on my other exams, but it's so hard!

ReputationRep:
    Thought questions yesterday were good. Pretty confident I got at least an A, maybe even the elusive A* but I'm not sure. I got 99/100 last year in ethics and like 96 in philosophy, but who knows as it really is loads harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie24116)
    I only sat the ethics paper today, I thought the questions were really great!

I did Virtue ethics + extra marital sex + Enivonmental issues- secular vs religious

Environmental issues went really well I think: total dream question.

I was torn between virtue & meta-ethics absolutely 100% regret about choosing virtue
    I gave a good description and compared to kant's categorical imperative + mill's utilitarianism. I also mentioned the additions of 20th century virtue ethicists but I just don't think my points were very good. I didn't mention anything christian....

Did anyone else do the virtue ethics question, how did you tackle it?
    I basically limited myself to talking about virtue ethics, natural law and utilitarianism to get a nice contrast. I basically argued that Nat law was too limiting, whilst utilit could promote sexuality in a damaging way, whereas virtue seemed to present a happy medium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie1404)
    question 1 and 2 for philosophy, need a high D for an A. wish it was slightly more so I could be in this group!

for the soul question i went for:
    plato and chariot analogy
    descartes, epiphonominalism and interactionism
    ryle criticism
    dawkins
    aristotle

wanted to stick idealism in but didn't think it was worth it.

for language:
    early wittgenstein
    logical positivim
    ayer and verification
    falsification and criticisms
    late wittgenstein

felt very rushed for the 2nd but hope i went ok! forgot to mention ayer's direct and indirect verification but other than that i'm pretty happy
    What mark did you get last year? I got 99/ 100 and 96/100. Was just wondering if your marks were comparable to this so I can know what grade I would need to get an A. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    Yep. Couldn't get to sleep last night because all I was thinking about was how general my answers were, and not that deep in content (I think). And then thinking numbers, and what I'd need to get an A ectect. I want to forget about it and concentrate on my other exams, but it's so hard!
    i know ! i keep doubting myself thinking i've put too much of one thing in other another, and then remembering little bits and thinking 'ohh noo, i forgot to put that in !' or that i've just missed the point of the question completely ! i thought once monday was done that would be it :/ i guess not ! this is going to one long, 'nail-biting' wait till results ! i'm sure you've done well though

ReputationRep:
    i know ! i keep doubting myself thinking i've put too much of one thing in other another, and then remembering little bits and thinking 'ohh noo, i forgot to put that in !' or that i've just missed the point of the question completely ! i thought once monday was done that would be it :/ i guess not ! this is going to one long, 'nail-biting' wait till results ! i'm sure you've done well though
    That's exactly how a lot of people feel, I imagine... but I did go on to realise that I sort of mixed up RM Hare and Hick in that Religious Language question :/

Do you think that has ruined any chances of a decent mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojpearson)
    That's exactly how a lot of people feel, I imagine... but I did go on to realise that I sort of mixed up RM Hare and Hick in that Religious Language question :/

Do you think that has ruined any chances of a decent mark?
    yeahh i guess you're right ! well i put that hick\s replica theory for the soul question was the thing about london and new york, which i don't think is right at all, and i had like no time left so i hardly explained the example and how it helps the question, so i doubt it made sense :/ but i know i put some other could stuff in there to make up for it !

and ohh what did hick say ? or was it just you put him down for bliks instead of hare ? i don't think so they'll know you were under pressure in the exam. Also i've heard ocr basically award a mark for like every good point. so if you use the 'posh' terminology like non-cognitive and cognitive language then that counts as a mark ! so even if you have made that little mistake as long as you know you've put some other good stuff in there it won't count against you getting a good mark on the whole

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.