Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need some help in decision making....

A little of my background:
    Degree Quantitative Finance
    2 Yr Experience Working As Equity Research Analyst in an Option Trading House
    Pass CFA Lvl 2 already

I have applied the following UK Schools for master study, Here is the progress:

1.) Warwick MSc Finance and Economics - Offer on hand
    2.) Warwick MSc Financial Mathematics - Rejected, no idea why they rejected me but accepted me in another program!! I am thinking to request swapping to this program.
    3.) Imperial MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering - Offer On Hand
    4.) LSE MSc Finance and Economics

While I am not so certain about my future career path, so far I am quite interested in these areas:
    1.) Derivative Trading - Damn Hard to get in, but my exp in option trading house should have some adv....may [email protected]@....master in risk management / financial math could be relevant to this area as well
    2.) Quantitative Research - It seems that they require PhD, any chance for a master student?
    3.) Asset Management - I was told by a buy side credit analyst that most buy side analysts have economic background, thats why I applied the finance and economic program.
    4.) Risk Management - No exp and no exposure to this area. But it should be interesting to work in market risk, can understand diff trading strategies and products. But seems most risk managers have very strong math background

I am reli not so sure about the choices. I do understand it depends on what career path I am pursuing....any comment?

ReputationRep:
    They're all solid brand names and the programmes seem rigorous, but as always LSE does have a slight edge in terms of reputation. Can't go wrong with either one, they're all targets

ReputationRep:
    LSE acceptance rate is super low! Every year it has more than thousand applications but only accepts few. I reli wonder if i can get the offer.

I heard that Imperial Tanka Business School is quite new, so I wonder if Warwick has better alumni network than Imperial. But its location in london is reli a big attraction to me...Covety is reli a rural area. I come from HK so I afraid I will get bored there..==

ReputationRep:
    they all have very good reputation i would like to recommed you to look at their coourse and subjects, that which one attracts you the most, anyhow, if i were you, i ll go to LSE =)

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't anyone ****ing ever use the search button before posting pointless threads?

ReputationRep:
    Can you get onto Imperail MSc Finance? If so it has CISI exemptions.

Although i agree LSE may suit you more as it is not CFA acreeditted so less overlap. Also I assume you have passed CISI investment analysis and financial statement analysis.

I know alot of people chose Imperial over warwick though, myself included.

ReputationRep:
    I rmb Imperial Msc Finance requires more work experience but I have only 2 yr work relevant experience.

I want LSE too, but it is tooooo difficult to get in.
    For overall ranking I know Imperial is ranked way higher than warwick, but how about its business school?

I am also thinking if I could swap to Fin Math from Econ and Finance in Warwick, is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    imperial doesnt require 2 years although the course is meant to be the hardest by professors opinions due to the quantitative nature. alot of people do have 2-4 yr exp though if you see class profile. I will have 1+ years and internship.

I think i will reject LSE too,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    imperial doesnt require 2 years although the course is meant to be the hardest by professors opinions due to the quantitative nature. alot of people do have 2-4 yr exp though if you see class profile. I will have 1+ years and internship.

I think i will reject LSE too,
    why reject LSE? I heard that its econ and finance program is the best!

ReputationRep:
    ACC+FIN

Imp is CISI exmptions, and CFA acreditted for a small bonus. But the course content is much more to my liking which is the larger part of the reason.

ReputationRep:
    ACC+FIN

Imp is CISI exmptions, and CFA acreditted for a small bonus. But the course content is much more to my liking which is the larger part of the reason.
    Iam in the same situation!!! MSc Accounting and Finance in LSE and MSc in Finance in Imperial!!!

Iam thinking very seriously to reject LSE too for the same reasons, but damn it; it's LSE.

Iam in a great dilemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmichaelides)
    Iam in the same situation!!! MSc Accounting and Finance in LSE and MSc in Finance in Imperial!!!

Iam thinking very seriously to reject LSE too for the same reasons, but damn it; it's LSE.

Iam in a great dilemma
    depends how quant you want your degree to be, or how much quant u can take!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing imperial if that helps....

My reasons were:

1) HR told me modules were better
    2) I like the look of the university more
    3) I like the applied project
    4) quantitative learning is always good for me, especially the direction i want to take.

ReputationRep:
    ACC+FIN

Since I am interested in this fact as well,would you mind telling me where you read it?

ReputationRep:
    well Andrea the director told me. Also got an email from Imperial College of london.

The exmeption is Investment analysis or financial ststaemnet analysis units.

It is CFA accreddited ie teaches 70% of the CFA syllabus when LSE doesn't.

If you are interested just go look on the website for msc finance.

ReputationRep:
    I was accepted to both Imperial (MSc Finance) and Warwick (MSc Finance) and chose Imperial in the end because of the proximity to the industry and because I wanted to go back to london (im from sweden and used to live there few years back).

Just pick the one wich suits your interest the most. The difference between the top universities is marginal at best so I would go for the one which seemed the most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hi chau0825,

Have you made up your mind ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.