Turn on thread page Beta

cranwell - people who've been to oasc watch

ReputationRep:
    Where do you dine?
    Who do you dine with?
    What sort of meals do you get?
    Is there an option to eat out with others? (I read somewhere you're welcome to leave the base)

Not seen a topic relating to this so thought I'd give it a whirl lol.

Chris.

ReputationRep:
    You dine in the candidates mess which is joined with the Junior officers mess. We only had about 15 people on my board so we had to go through to the juniors officers mess to get our food and come back through to the candidates area a bit confusing for all us lot :P.

The food was amazing I'm not a massive eater but it was seriously good food. You dine with your fellow candidates before getting a briefing on the first night although the officer never turned up to give us our briefing. After that straight to the bar make sure you bring change it is all you will need it was something stupid like £1.25 for a pint of magners. We had a welsh lad who got hammered the bar closed at 10'ish so he moved on to the bowling alley haha.

As for dining elsewhere I live in Sleaford so can tell you there is no where else to eat it's a baron place. there is an italian next to the guardroom but it's never open and when it is it is crap.

ReputationRep:
    It's the Junior Ranks' Mess, not the [non existant] "Junior Officers' Mess".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's the Junior Ranks' Mess, not the [non existant] "Junior Officers' Mess".
    My apologies was making assumptions whilst being told off for sitting in the wrong place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craglyboy)
    My apologies was making assumptions whilst being told off for sitting in the wrong place
    The part for the candidates is separated from the parts for Junior Ranks or, as was, the IOT cdts. You'll find the JNCOs over in the other section, but the eating area and bar area is for candidates only, usually when the boards are of 30-40 people it makes sense, but for few people those rooms are massive!

ReputationRep:
    But seriously how cheap are the drinks it's dangerous! Must be a test of self control before you have a really important day ahead of you, which the welsh guy fell at sadly was funny on the night though.

We also had an Irish fella who had failed his apptitude that day so was knocking back all sorts of shots can't say I blame him.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why would you even ask this question?

You will be told where and when food is. You will dine with your peers. If you are fussy about food you will hate it - if you are not, it will be fine. They do not follow the classic French style of cuisine nor the modern British movement - you will get 'food' with a British slant on the ingredients and dishes served.
    You are there for testing. You should not really be thinking about booking tables down town with your new chums.

ReputationRep:
    That and I'm fairly sure that all relevent information on this topic is present in the booklet issued prior to attendance at the OASC.

So Chris, perhaps you may need to work on your ability to absorb facts and figures which you have read? It's a pretty important skill to be adept in if you are to succeed at the OASC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spearmint)
    That and I'm fairly sure that all relevent information on this topic is present in the booklet issued prior to attendance at the OASC.

So Chris, perhaps you may need to work on your ability to absorb facts and figures which you have read? It's a pretty important skill to be adept in if you are to succeed at the OASC.
    i have the booklet and it doesn't say anything about that, hence the reason i asked.

'perhaps' you shouldn't be so patronising. i know what skills are needed to succeed at oasc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Why would you even ask this question?

You will be told where and when food is. You will dine with your peers. If you are fussy about food you will hate it - if you are not, it will be fine. They do not follow the classic French style of cuisine nor the modern British movement - you will get 'food' with a British slant on the ingredients and dishes served.
    You are there for testing. You should not really be thinking about booking tables down town with your new chums.
    i asked merely because i was interested.

why do people feel the need to be sarcastic? utterly pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris-d-lpool)
    why do people feel the need to be sarcastic? utterly pointless.
    We could counter with: why do people feel the need to ask bone questions all the time?

Many thousands of people went through OASC before TSR was invented, before the internet was invented, and didn't exactly suffer for not knowing every second of the details beforehand.

If you get into the RAF you'll need to come to terms with a very important fact: you can't know everything.

ReputationRep:
    that's fine, fairly obvious.

it was a simple question that interested me which i hadn't seen covered and was looking for an answer.

why would you need to counter me asking a question without sarcastic replies? isn't the forum for people to ask questions relating to areas of interest and discuss experiences?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by chris-d-lpool)
    a simple question ...........which i hadn't seen covered

why would you need to counter me asking a question without sarcastic replies? isn't the forum for people to ask questions relating to areas of interest and discuss experiences?
    You asked a question about something that has little or no bearing upon OASC. You got slightly sarcastic questions back because it was so irrelevant - BUT - you got questions to prompt you to think as to why it was irrelevant. If we had just come back with 'shut up and don't ask dumb questions', then you might have a valid reason to whinge.

Thinking on your feet is a trait sought out by the military. If you feel you need to book tables now, you may be worrying about the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Take the hints.

ReputationRep:
    Not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You asked a question about something that has little or no bearing upon OASC. You got slightly sarcastic questions back because it was so irrelevant - BUT - you got questions to prompt you to think as to why it was irrelevant. If we had just come back with 'shut up and don't ask dumb questions', then you might have a valid reason to whinge.

Thinking on your feet is a trait sought out by the military. If you feel you need to book tables now, you may be worrying about the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Take the hints.
    I'm not worrying about it, am i missing something? does everything have to relate to the exercise or interviews at oasc?

ReputationRep:
    chris-d-lpool - you are fine. This is the right place to ask any question you have about the OASC, RAF etc, no matter how trivial.

Drewski, Prostacker - you losers need to get a life. I occasionally watch with some amusement as you systematically make fun of people that may not be quite as "in the know" as you, or who ask questions that you deem inappropriate, or don't "approve" of. You seem very protective and territorial about these forums - it really is sad. It's an internet forum ffs.

I do appreciate you have made some valuable contributions to people in need. But honestly, sometimes I wonder whether you're here to help others, or simply feed your ego. Yes, you may be "in the know". You might have passed selection, maybe you're in training, or about to outbrief before jumping into a Typhoon. I don't care.

I am interested in helping others if I can. So if a topic has been previously discussed, maybe I'll post the link to where, instead of slating the OP for "lack of effort", or similar. If you think someone's question is silly, well that's neither here nor there. It's been asked, and it's clearly important to someone. So if you haven't got anything good to say, then don't say anything.

It's amazing that nearly every thread in the military sections of TSR and PPRuNe degrade into petty schoolboy squabbling over spelling, grammar, someone being pointlessly pedantic (^^^ Drewski, ignoring the original question, but correcting the name of the mess) or whatever. Shame on you, the RAF should be setting the standard.

Personally, I reckon you were bullied at school, have no friends, or simply lack self-esteem. You seem to take pleasure from the put-downs and the sarcastic comments you make. FFS, grow up. And stop using the OQs argument to justify yourselves. I could use the same against you - being needlessly rude and unhelpful shows a complete lack of empathy and tolerance, something any leader of men, inside or outside of the military, needs. Furthermore, I wouldn't chose to go to war with either of you. God forbid I actually have to meet you in the system.

RANT OVER. (I will wait patiently for you to go through my old posts and find something to humiliate me with, or failing that for Drewski to make an attempt to turn this into a pi$$ing contest)

chris-d-lpool: if you still have further questions, please post, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Olaff)
    Drewski and ProStacker have, over the years, both made it clear that they are serving officers, as did Wzz and as was I. We have often been accused of having an abrupt tone etc, as you have said above. A more astute assessment would be to realise that the culture of the RAF (and the other services) is one that deals with accuracy, attention to detail, formality, rule following, and it does not suffer fools gladly. If you think Drewski, ProStacker and I are obnoxious, do not join the Armed Forces. I can assure you that we are all at the polite and informative end of the scale of what you will meet if you join up.

chris-d-lpool is over thinking his OASC visit, and those that know how insignificant OASC is in the grand scheme of things are trying to get him to realise that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    those that know how insignificant OASC is in the grand scheme of things are trying to get him to realise that.
    To be fair, OASC may well be insignificant once you've passed it however it is a major stumbling block for many who apply (as it is supposed to be) and is therefore significant and of considerable concern to people who are currently in the recruitment process. It is therefore understandable that those attending OASC want to do as well as they can and be prepared by finding out as much about the process as possible.
    Now I'm not suggesting that you should try to find out which direction the room you are sleeping in will be facing in order to prepare your sleeping habits for the presence / lack of a sunrise on the day of your interview... However you must remember that applicants are constantly being told to prepare and read and understand the process as well as they possibly can. While knowing a little bit more about the 'house keeping' side of things may not help in the interview, planning or exercise phases an understanding of what is going on and what to expect will in my opinion put an applicant in a better frame of mind thus helping them to perform better.
    chris-d-lpool is over thinking his OASC visit
    Absolutely, I'm sure even Chris would agree with that statement but if that is how he likes to do things and it works for him then that is the way he is going to do it! If somebody offers him some friendly advice along the lines of "chillax and focus on the important things" then he may or may not take it as he sees fit. If however they leave a reply which (in Chris' opinion) is sarcastic or a bit @rsey he is going to get offended!
    The joys of internet forums and the difficulty of imparting tone into a message
    Hugs 'n' kisses - jacet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olaff)
    self-righteous guff
    As tpd has already alluded to, we are the pink and fluffy end of the chain. If you don't like that, well, I don't care.

My post, which you highlighted as being pedantic and needlessly picky, I view as correcting an error that could end up saving the guy for looking for a sign to a place that doesn't exist. If you've ever spent any time on an RAF base, Cranwell or otherwise, you'd know the places are fairly confusing to the uninitiated. That I didn't spend twenty minutes writing an essay explaining the thought progression behind my post allowing you to understand is unfortunate.

Chris has already benefitted from numerous posts, as well as contributing his own, he is well placed to do well - as long as he relaxes. Endless worrying about every finite detail is not relaxing.

Despite the fact that the odds are heavily stacked against him - stacked against everyone who goes to OASC, the simple numbers of how many are getting in backs that up, unfortunately - I want him to do well. I just also want him to be able to prepare for himself. Neither I nor you will be on IOT with him.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Olaff)
    I do appreciate you have made some valuable contributions to people in need.
    I feel valued - thank you. At last.

(Original post by Olaff)
    I am interested in helping others if I can. ......if you still have further questions, please post, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Crack on then. You appear to prefer sitting on the side lines. All input, especially from those who have been through the mill and can provide perspective, is welcome. IMHO.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.