Turn on thread page Beta

1st from Manchester...what can i do. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Starting in sept international business, finance and economics degree. Uni of Manchester

Assuming i get a 1st in this or switch into pure economics in the second year and 1st in that.

....what are my options?

Had heart set on IB FO but failed to make the cut to a targetted uni via an access course. So where can i go from here?

So much info out there and all conflicting. Any input? If you require more info please ask and ill add to this post.

I wanted into IB but is that off the table now?

(oh i got a contact at JP Morgan who runs the internship programs)
    (kinda)

ReputationRep:
    In theory you could do anything. A significant percentage of grad/intern hires in FO come from non-target universities. The most important things now are getting a 2.1 and getting good extra curricular activities on the CV. Become a member of http://www.mutis.co.uk/ and do some other social/sports stuff and take on responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Barett,

If I was starting uni again, this is what I wish I had known instead of working if out after graduation.

You need to get as much work experience as possible. Even if it's not in a bank you need to get a taste for industry.

How can you make yourself look attractive to employers?

Learn Excel and VBA. Excel is very easy but people really do care if you know how to use VLOOPUPs. VBA is also very accessible. Focus your approach on finance related tasks. The book 'Advanced Modelling in Finance using Excel and VBA' is perfect for this. On the down side, this book assumes some elementary finance knowledge. For that you should read Paul Wilmott Introduces Quantitative Finance.

For current events buy a subscription to the Economist and the FT online. The search function on these two webpages is a godsend.

People have a soft spot of Manchester Uni so I wouldn't let that get you down. While you're there try and make some friends with people who have similar goals, it will help keep you motivated.

ReputationRep:
    I would echo the excel bit its VERY important and allows you to really impress whether in FO or BO.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.