Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Before anyone calls me a troll or whatever, I am not saying that smith machine squats are amazing, just asking if they are worth my time at all.
    So basically, I go to this proper rubbish 'fitness' gym. We have up to 45kg fixed barbells and 30kg dumbells, along with a Smith Machine.
    Me and my mate originally stole a bar from the body pump class next door and loaded the smith machine's plates onto it, but it wasn't up to the challenge and bent. We got this confiscated, tried again and bent another bar, so using these bars is not an option any more.
    I am currently doing a very basic program of 5x5 Squats (low bar position, ATG), 5x5, Bench Press (dumbells, i do not mind using them for the bench), and pullup pyramids (1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1), along with dumbell shoulder presses, cleans and other stuff when im in the mood.
    I am currently having to squat on the smith machine because 45kg is way too low, and 60kg dumbells are also too low and very awkward. I also have decent technique, and havent picked up an injury doing squats ever, but I have only been squatting on the smith for a week or so.
    Also, if it matters, its one of those smith machines where the bar is at an angle, not straight up and straight down.
    What is your advice?

1) Carry on using the smith machine?
    2) Carry on using the smith machine but do supplementary exercises to improve my assistance muscles?
    3) Use a 45kg barbell (I currently squat 60-70ish on the smith) and do more reps?
    4) Use 2 30kg dumbells and do more reps?
    5) Give up on squats?

Also, what about smith machine deadlifts?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oh yeah, and joining another gym is not really an option, Im probably going to uni or to the military in august, so ill have a decent gym then either way, so its only for 6 months max.

ReputationRep:
    Better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    if there's no other way for you to squat then just use the smith machine. Using a regular barbell is obviously better but if you have no other choice then you'll just have to use the smith machine. You could throw in some bulgarian split squats and lunges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albertb)
    EDIT: Oh yeah, and joining another gym is not really an option, Im probably going to uni or to the military in august, so ill have a decent gym then either way, so its only for 6 months max.
    Is there any particular reason? Barbell squats are infinitely better, even if it does take some effort to get to a decent gym it'll be worth it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.