Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth having my Mathematics C3 paper remarked? :L watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Has anyone gained UMS from a Mathematics remark? I was talking to my Maths teacher today and he thought I should request to have my paper back and then maybe a remark.

I thought I was going to do better than expected tbh. On the day though, I might of not realised my mistakes.

Any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apo1324)
    Hello there,

Has anyone gained UMS from a Mathematics remark? I was talking to my Maths teacher today and he thought I should request to have my paper back and then maybe a remark.

I thought I was going to do better than expected tbh. On the day though, I might of not realised my mistakes.

Any advice please?
    By all means get your paper back but don't take the remark descison lightly. When the paper is remarked it is checked thoruogly so it may remove the "benifit of the doubt" marks aswell as find some extra marks hidden in the working.

Its a risk which is probably based on what mark you got. What did you get in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    By all means get your paper back but don't take the remark descison lightly. When the paper is remarked it is checked thoruogly so it may remove the "benifit of the doubt" marks aswell as find some extra marks hidden in the working.

Its a risk which is probably based on what mark you got. What did you get in it?
    Please dont neg me for doing this, but I got 90/100. Its just something im considering to make my life slightly easier when doing C4.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont neg me for doing this, but I got 90/100. Its just something im considering to make my life slightly easier when doing C4.
    It really isn't worth it then, as you can lose marks as well as gain them.

ReputationRep:
    C4 is just applied C3, so if u got 90 in C3, you will probably get 90 in C4. Unless you change how much effort you put in ofcourse, and tbh, 90 is enough, seen as though 90 in C3 & C4, and an average of A with all your other modules will get you an A* in maths. And an A* is an A* whether you got 100% or 90%..

ReputationRep:
    Its understandable because C4 is harder, but you should understand the grade boundries are Really high this January, so Okay it could go up, but you are taking a risk. Because of the high boundries 1 mark lost to a remark could equal 2 or even 3 ums! So you could end up on 87/100 instead of 90/100.

Take this into account before your remark.
    50% of all remarks go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord dudek)
    C4 is just applied C3, so if u got 90 in C3, you will probably get 90 in C4. Unless you change how much effort you put in ofcourse, and tbh, 90 is enough, seen as though 90 in C3 & C4, and an average of A with all your other modules will get you an A* in maths. And an A* is an A* whether you got 100% or 90%..
    I don't know which specification you are talking about BUT it is not correct to say that Edexcel "C4 is applied C3."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    I don't know which specification you are talking about BUT it is not correct to say that Edexcel "C4 is applied C3."
    I see what he means though. Alot of C4 is based on the fundemental facts learnt in C3, Calculus techniques etc. But yes you are right, C4 is not "applied C3"

ReputationRep:
    For me C4 was genrally a little easier to grasp than C3 so I wouldnt worry about it just move on and get over 90 on C4 for your A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    As a basic gauge, C3 does produce many of the techniques you use in C4, so the OP is getting 90 in C3, it is very unlikely he/she will fail C4. Also if ou are doing MEI (for which my statement about applied C3 was about), then your C3 coursework should be something you consider.

ReputationRep:
    I went up for the remark in c3... But I don't recommend a remark... As you see the grade boundaries are ludocrisly high... So one mark maybe the same as 3-4 !!in terms of c4... A mere 3 marks... Which is basically HALF a Frickibg question can determine whether you get an A* or an A

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.