Turn on thread page Beta

Should I send the company an arsey email? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks ago I applied for a year long job in the United States and I know that I was a good candidate for the role. They asked for the application in PDF format, but I don't have PDF software on my computer so just sent it as a Word doc and said that I was happy to answer any questions/assist with any problems. They haven't even bothered getting back to me though. I sent an email about a week ago just asking about the progress of my application, but they haven't even bothered responding to that.

The thing is, I submitted an application for this same job a year ago and they didn't bother getting back to me then, or responding to any of my questions (even when on another email account I simply asked them about the selection procedure).

Should I send them an arsey email about it, as I know that my application at least warranted a response, even if it was a flat-out no.

Cute pdf

If the employer wants you to send .pdf you make sure you send it in .pdf, it is their policy.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't provide it in their format then don't just send it and assume that they'll read it. At least phone them beforehand or something. Maybe having experience with that software is essential, what sort of job is it?
    Maybe they did read it and don't like your application.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the best idea. Sometimes you wont hear back from an employer for weeks. Chances are they have hundreds of applications to go through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    If you can't provide it in their format then don't just send it and assume that they'll read it. At least phone them beforehand or something. Maybe having experience with that software is essential, what sort of job is it?
    Maybe they did read it and don't like your application.
    I'd understand that, if they'd responded to me a year ago when I was asking questions about the selection procedure on another email account. I've heard absolutely nothing though, not even acknowledgement of the application, and when I asked a week ago if it had been received (this is when I'd expect an email saying no, you sent it in the wrong format), I didn't even get a response to that.

I just don't understand why I'm not hearing anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sondla)
    but I don't have PDF software on my computer
    Why didn't you just download something then? You can get drivers which will make a pdf writer appear as a normal printer on your computer.

Anyway, no. Because it can take a few weeks for companies to reply.
    Plus, it is something you will have to get used to. Quite often companies don't reply. And sending an arsey email won't get you anywhere, and will make you look quite silly.

ReputationRep:
    Don't send an arsey email....

....at least, not using an email account that they can identify you from (or not containing info that they might use to identify you)

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks ago I applied for a year long job in the United States and I know that I was a good candidate for the role. How? They asked for the application in PDF format, This was foolish. Always follow instructions for submission to the letter. There are plenty of free PDF-creation applications available. but I don't have PDF software on my computer so just sent it as a Word doc and said that I was happy to answer any questions/assist with any problems. They haven't even bothered getting back to me though. It is, most likely, not a question of not bothering, but of being too busy or still evaluating applications. I sent an email about a week ago just asking about the progress of my application, but they haven't even bothered responding to that.

The thing is, I submitted an application for this same job a year ago and they didn't bother getting back to me then, or responding to any of my questions (even when on another email account I simply asked them about the selection procedure).

Should I send them an arsey email about it, Absolutely not. The recipient may not do anything but may not do anything at all but equally may bin your application for you aggressive stance.as I know that my application at least warranted a response, No you don't, you have no idea who else has applied and how strong they are even if it was a flat-out no.
    See above.

I'd understand that, if they'd responded to me a year ago when I was asking questions about the selection procedure on another email account. I've heard absolutely nothing though, not even acknowledgement of the application, and when I asked a week ago if it had been received (this is when I'd expect an email saying no, you sent it in the wrong format), I didn't even get a response to that.

I just don't understand why I'm not hearing anything at all.
    Most likely, if the application system detected any other format than .pdf, then due to their policy your application went straight to the junk folder and they don't keep such records. They receive hundreds of applications they will not make any exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    ....at least, not using an email account that they can identify you from (or not containing info that they might use to identify you)
    How , then, would they be able to tell him about the status of his application? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a job over 2 months ago, for the company I already work for, a trainee manager position. The training was due to start in March, so I expected to hear back in February, to give time for interview and what not. By the end of February I was pretty pissed off, just about had enough of the company. I came close to walking out, on several occasions, and telling the management what I honestly think of them. But knowing I had 2 weeks booked off in March kept me going just that little bit longer, 2 weeks of job hunting. I'm in the 2nd week of those 2 weeks off, and the other day got a call from my store manager telling me I have an interview for the position next week. No way would he be allowing me to go for that interview if I'd have been as arsey as I wanted be.
    Hold out, if you don't hear anything back, forget about it, move on, apply for something else. You'll find many companies don't bother to respond to unsuccessful applicants. Some you might be invited to n interview, and then not even hear anything after that. That's just the way they are. The only difference sending a letter would make is if they are still sorting through applications, then you're pretty much guaranteeing you won't be considered.

ReputationRep:
    Just for future reference, you can save a word document as a .pdf file. I'm not sure if it will work on the older versions but you definitely can in the later versions.

Word 2007 and 2010 - File, Save As, then choose PDF in the File Type Drop Down menu

and no - as people have said it could take a few week for the company to contact you. The selection process isn't done in a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How , then, would they be able to tell him about the status of his application? :rolleyes:
    Aha! Excellent question.

I do not believe that the arsey email would endear him to the good folk at said company.

The arsey email should be delivered ninja-stylee (the benefit being stress relief), op should also send a polite but to-the-point email requesting confirmation of the status of his application.

In closing, I propose two emails.

-----
    edit - As I was typing this, I spoke it using a Sherlock Holmes type voice

ReputationRep:
    I've just sent an email saying, 'you're ****, and you know you're ****. You can take my application and shove it where the sun doesn't shine and **** it out for your dinner you ****ing lowlifes. I'm absolutely ****ing sick of people thinking they're all it not bothering to get back to me when I had a ****ing good application and you ****ing know it.'

I know that they probably won't want to know after that, but I felt that I had to get some grievances off my chest.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think anyone would want to employ you to be honest. Can't follow instructions, unprofessional, doesn't deal with rejection well, delusional about ability.

Seriously grow up, this is the real world not the playground, there is no place for these kind of emails in a professional environment.

ReputationRep:
    I've just sent an email saying, 'you're ****, and you know you're ****. You can take my application and shove it where the sun doesn't shine and **** it out for your dinner you ****ing lowlifes. I'm absolutely ****ing sick of people thinking they're all it not bothering to get back to me when I had a ****ing good application and you ****ing know it.'

I know that they probably won't want to know after that, but I felt that I had to get some grievances off my chest.
    i hope thats a troll or you werent applying to a big company with lots of rivals doing the same thing or you may have just talked your way out of a job in that industry (depending on what it was) because they could easily screw you over by emailing other companies about what you just did

ReputationRep:
    You're applying for a job and couldn't be bothered to install some .pdf software? Sheesh.

ReputationRep:

I would be very sincerely hoping that the company that you sent this to doesn't have wide reaching contacts to other companies. Although this is inevitably going to be the case.

Say goodbye to your employment prospects in that sector.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.