Turn on thread page Beta

Going to a gig - front row watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Chase and Status at Leeds O2? Long shot....
    no... although i WISH i was going to that as i'm in leeds next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    So I'm going to a gig/concert in a few days. I really like this artist, and want to be at the front/as close to the front as possible.... Also, just because being at the front is waaay better than being stuck in the middle/back.
    My friends who i'm going with disagree, one said "it's too pushy and shovey" :rolleyes: when i confronted them about it, and how it's just my opinion that it's better...
    It is your opinion.

I'm a bit annoyed, (I will get over it) but just the fact that i think we have standing tickets, surely we should make the most of them? :confused:
    Consider how many other people have standing tickets...they can't all make the most of them (again, making the most of them being down to your own opinion)

I can't get to the front as the queue will be quite long by the time we get there... Only way i can is if I accidentally "lose them" and somehow squirm my way the front lol (but i'm not good at this sorta thing so probably wouldn't do that...)
    There's no need to 'accidentally' lose them. You have differing opinions of how to enjoy the show, so just arrange somewhere to meet after the gig, say one of the bars, or by the toilets or whatever. As for weaving your way nearer to the front (I say nearer, you'll be lucky to get right up to the barrier, people that rushed there to be the first are probably not going to just give up their spot), I'm assuming there'll be at least one support act, between support people disappear off to the bar/toilets, so it's easy to edge forward there, just worm your way through.

Am i just fussing over nothing? what do you think? :/
    When you consider all the above...yes, you're fussing over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    You're a girl so not only will it be easier to squeeze through (well...), but also people tend to move out the way for girls, turn up earlyish and rave like a loon till you drop from exhaustion.
    Sweet! well I think I'll mention it again nearer the time, and just go form there really.. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I always try and push to the front of gigs, normally it's fine but I went to see Lostprophets at a small venue and everyone just started going MENTAL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    It is your opinion.

Consider how many other people have standing tickets...they can't all make the most of them (again, making the most of them being down to your own opinion)

There's no need to 'accidentally' lose them. You have differing opinions of how to enjoy the show, so just arrange somewhere to meet after the gig, say one of the bars, or by the toilets or whatever. As for weaving your way nearer to the front (I say nearer, you'll be lucky to get right up to the barrier, people that rushed there to be the first are probably not going to just give up their spot), I'm assuming there'll be at least one support act, between support people disappear off to the bar/toilets, so it's easy to edge forward there, just worm your way through.

When you consider all the above...yes, you're fussing over nothing.
    Thanks for the bluntness...
    I do understand that it's my opinion (never said it wasn't, was just trying to explain the situation for others)
    Personally, I wouldn't expect to be able to just get to the front, just like that, but obviously if there's room or people leave then i will.
    I think I'll take the advice of asking to meet afterwards, thanks

ReputationRep:
    are you seeing example by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Get there decently early. Get as close as you can for the support band, once they have finished lots of people move to go get drinks, you can then get a lot closer to the front.

ReputationRep:
    I was at the front of a Green Day gig once, best experience ever. Ditch your friend, get to the front and agree to meet up later.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always at the front. I meet up rather early. It does get pushy, but in the end it's worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    I was at the front of a Green Day gig once, best experience ever. Ditch your friend, get to the front and agree to meet up later.
    I just feel that if i did this, they'd have a grudge against me / be annoyed. As i mentioned the idea of going to the front, and the general reaction was "no" and just hfjsakjlashfkalfj i dunno haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I'm always at the front. I meet up rather early. It does get pushy, but in the end it's worth it!
    Sometimes i agree it is pushy, but when we've been before it hasn't even been majorly like that. However meeting early isn't an option unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Your going to get split up from them in the crowd anyway once the music starts. If they're retarded and don't actually want to see the band that's their problem, just squirm to the front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberiFatali)
    Depends on the artist and size of venue I guess. There will be some pushing and you might feel a bit squashed, but it's better to be on the edge of the front instead of somewhere in the middle. There are always security guys on hand so if you get overwhelmed then they will come pull you out.

Though like I said, it depends on the artist and venue. I remember being at the front for Motley Crue during Download '09 and at times I honestly couldn't breathe.

:headbang::headbang::argh::headbang::headbang:

It was a lot of fun though, never regretted leaving my friends behind to do it. The front was miles better then just standing quietly at the back where you can barely see the artist.
    Did this for RATM at DL last year. It a so bad the barriers collapsed slightly and I had to get hauled out. It was worth it apart from the lack of breathing space.

(Original post by Genocidal)
    People mosh to electro/dance/rap? :confused:
    You'd be surprised! I went to see Innerpartysystem years ago and some kids attempted moshing..I felt embarrassed for them tbh. I raved however, hell yes.

I've been to many many gigs and my fav times have been either at the side near the front or in the middle near the front where the action is but not rammed, that way you get to mosh and jive but not too packed that you can't extend your arms or do anything.

You can evaluate it when you get there, I find it easy to join in mosh/circle pits and move closer that way.

I have the same issue with my friends and my bf. My bf hates being shoved about (and I mean pushy pushy rather than normal friendly gig behaviour) so he never wants to get too close which I find annoying. I make the compromise of being close enough to enjoy myself but not too close that my bf gets all angry and moody.

My mates bugger off and do what they like, as long as you have a meeting point what's the big deal? Chances are you may lose each other. Think of a gig like a floating river, let the crowd take you and enjoy it, when you fight the current it gets hella annoying.

Btw front row of Ill Nino 4 years ago was EPIC. I love gigs...I might go have a look on Ticketmaster. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Wow same, I almost managed to grab the bassist's...bass haha.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get pushed, you're likely to have very sore feeling ribs afterwards, you might even have problems breathing at times. If you're going to the front, make sure you're right at the barrier so that you can grasp onto it. Being almost at the front I've found can be really frightening when you're nearly pushed over.

ReputationRep:
    Same! At Wembley, was actually amazing

OP, yeah definitely leave your friends, it's not like you're there to chat to them anyway, nothing beats the front row experience!

ReputationRep:
    Is it rebecca black ?

ReputationRep:
    It's not pendulum is it? When I saw pendulum @ CIA me and a friend where at the front for some of it, we then moved slightly back and had a MUCH better experience slightly back. That concert was pretty rough though, I had a fat lip and a bruised cheek. Was an epic gig though.

ReputationRep:
    I hate being at the front haha. makes me
    nervous being all squashed. just lose your friends

ReputationRep:
    Ah, you're like me. If I go with my friends, they always delay and don't go into the venue till an hour after doors open and then just stand at the middle/back.

I much prefer to get there early and then gradually push my way as close to the stage. Being pushed and shoved makes a gig fun although all that jumping up and down stuff is just irritating.

My opinion: say you're going to get a drink or head to the toilets, and just start making your way to the front. And take advantage of mosh-pits - if you time it correctly, you can move quickly forward with zero pain.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.