Turn on thread page Beta

"Days off sick" - University medical questionnaire watch

Announcements

I've applied to do Occupational Therapy in September and I've been offered a place conditional to my grades, a clear CRB and a clear health form.

One of the questions is to ask for the number of days off sick that I've had in the last 3 years. I haven't enjoyed my college course these last 2 years and I've struggled with making friends and with the *****iness of the class, as a result of that my attendance has not been good at all.
    I have had mental health problems in the past, and although I consider myself well these days I have had many days off college when I've felt like the *****y comments from the class could become triggering and I plain couldn't deal with it. I can honestly say that in terms of actual sickness I've probably had something like 15 or so days off in the last 3 years, but in terms of actual days off for other reasons it's probably in triple figures. I feel so down heartened by all of this because I feel like I'm falling at the final hurdle, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I do?

I don't want to lie about absences but the questionnaire asks for days off sick, I'm not sure what to put down :/

I'd be really grateful of any help.

ReputationRep:
    They won't ask college about your attendance most likely so don't worry too much about the actual days! If they ask for sickness put down the 15 days you've actually been sick. Do mention your mental health problems, they honestly won't not let you on the course, occy health want to make sure you are ok and know where to get help.

(Original post by bearfaced)
    They won't ask college about your attendance most likely so don't worry too much about the actual days! If they ask for sickness put down the 15 days you've actually been sick. Do mention your mental health problems, they honestly won't not let you on the course, occy health want to make sure you are ok and know where to get help.
    Thanks for your reply, it was really helpful
    I guess it's not a reference they're asking for, it is about genuine health concerns so I'll just put the days I've actually had off sick on the form.
    Thanks again x

(Original post by bearfaced)
    That would be
    a) wrong
    b) a lie

Which can lead to loss of university place...even after starting university.

ReputationRep:
    I would be honset, put down the days you missed and then explain why you missed them when you weren't sick, esp if you've had MH problems they will understand and just want to make sure you are well now and able to cope with the course. as Jamie says, not stating the actual days is lying really not good to lie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.