Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello to everybody (:

my father is looking to sell his 2004/54 toyota prius. but we know nothing about the best places to sell it (in terms of cost to us- cost of advertisement if required, time it takes to find buyer, etc). before when my parents have sold their cars they sold it to people they knew personally (extended family/relative, people who live nearby,etc)
    he's currently looking to downsize to smaller new diesel car that is under 100g/km emissions (travels in c-charge routes in london 5 days a week) , but all the dealers he has visited so far offer a part-ex price that he is not particularly happy with.

he is not at all keen on putting it up on gumtree or ebay, though placing adverts in local newspapers and sites like autotrader are options. he'd be open to the idea of auctioning it off, but we do not have any knowledge or experience of such places, so i guess if anybody reading has recommendations of auction houses in + around london then it'd be great to have responses here =)))))))))

ps: 2004/54 that just hit the 400,000miles (yes, correct number of zeros) landmark yesterday. am i right in thinking that auction is best for quick sale of such high-mileage cars? thank you for advices
    x

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, it is hard enough selling cars as it is, a 2004 Prius with 400k miles, good luck!

I think it would be a waste of £80 to put it on autotrader unless you have it super cheap, most will be scared off be the sky high mileage, I would be. I think Auction is the way to go, but it is never going to be worth much.

Blackbushe is a huge Car Auction place, it is just outside Reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    hello to everybody (:

my father is looking to sell his 2004/54 toyota prius. but we know nothing about the best places to sell it (in terms of cost to us- cost of advertisement if required, time it takes to find buyer, etc). before when my parents have sold their cars they sold it to people they knew personally (extended family/relative, people who live nearby,etc)
    he's currently looking to downsize to smaller new diesel car that is under 100g/km emissions (travels in c-charge routes in london 5 days a week) , but all the dealers he has visited so far offer a part-ex price that he is not particularly happy with.

he is not at all keen on putting it up on gumtree or ebay, though placing adverts in local newspapers and sites like autotrader are options. he'd be open to the idea of auctioning it off, but we do not have any knowledge or experience of such places, so i guess if anybody reading has recommendations of auction houses in + around london then it'd be great to have responses here =)))))))))

ps: 2004/54 that just hit the 400,000miles (yes, correct number of zeros) landmark yesterday. am i right in thinking that auction is best for quick sale of such high-mileage cars? thank you for advices
    x
    Taking the mileage into account, it's unlikely the car will get much more than what the dealers are offering on part-ex. In fact it's quite common for cars to sell lower at the auction.... taking the mileage into consideration it may be possible the only way it could sell is if it sells for really cheap.

If you're after better money, I'd probably put an ad in the Auto Trader... and also on any local shop windows or notice boards, you may get lucky if you put it at a university notice board as well. If the car is in good condition as in nothing that needs fixing, chances are it will still sell.

I'd probably just let it go on a part-ex and such a car would probably attract too many time-wasters and bargain hunters who would only buy at an absolute bargain.

I'd probably use the Prius till it dies given the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Why is he opposed to Gumtree? That's actually where I got the best response when I advertised my car, and it's free to advertise. I also used Car & Classic and Pistonheads (but for the love of god don't advertise a Prius on Pistonheads. There's only so much irony the world can take). An auction's a good way of getting a quick sale, but as there's very limited chance to check over the car and no warranty of any kind they sell cheap. Also most of the people that buy at auction - in my experience anyway - are in the industry, so they won't pay more at auction than they will for part ex.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wow, 400,000 miles!!! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Why is he opposed to Gumtree? That's actually where I got the best response when I advertised my car, and it's free to advertise. I also used Car & Classic and Pistonheads (but for the love of god don't advertise a Prius on Pistonheads. There's only so much irony the world can take). An auction's a good way of getting a quick sale, but as there's very limited chance to check over the car and no warranty of any kind they sell cheap. Also most of the people that buy at auction - in my experience anyway - are in the industry, so they won't pay more at auction than they will for part ex.
    hi i'm at work and shouldn't be on here so i type very quick *looks over shoulder* o.O........

my father is opposed to gumtree because when he was trying to sell some old guitars he was regularly getting spam responses.

anyway, i thank you for quoting me, as it has reminded me to update on the current situation:
    we put a piece of paper on the car window with its details (spec, etc), asking price + a contact number overnight, and early this morning (8am, lol...must be people walking kids to school or something) we had a few people calling and knocking on a our door to arrange to see the car properly

...just got texted the car's been sold he got 3,900 - which is more than the 2,900 to 3,200 was offered by dealers for partexchange,so we are happy.

GOOD TIMES!.....though i will miss this car.... he had it since late 2004 ,and in this time it took us to many happy holidays lots of roadtrips,etc

i do not know what car my father intends to replace with now though....he is struck my indecision (as am i - i intend to replace my fiat 500 imminently too) :/

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Wow, 400,000 miles!!! :eek3:
    hehe:'D it's just been sold! *points to comment just posted a few mins ago* had exactly 402,334 miles.....not bad in less than 7 years,no? ;P
    my 3-year-old fiat 500 owned from new is also very high mileage - approaching 140k. it'll be replaced very shortly aswell, xD

though my mother only bought new car a few months ago so this isnt so high mileage
    to me it is a miracle everyone in my family is not fat and unhealthy people ^-^v
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    hehe:'D it's just been sold! *points to comment just posted a few mins ago* had exactly 402,334 miles.....not bad in less than 7 years,no? ;P
    my 3-year-old fiat 500 owned from new is also very high mileage - approaching 140k. it'll be replaced very shortly aswell, xD

though my mother only bought new car a few months ago so this isnt so high mileage
    to me it is a miracle everyone in my family is not fat and unhealthy people ^-^v
    Wow!! Where do you drive? :tongue: I haven't passed my test yet but I'm looking at cars. I can't imagine myself doing over 10000 a year though! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I have been driving for 6 years and never got over 8000 miles a year! 140k in such a short time, what do you do!? You must be hammering the motorway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Wow!! Where do you drive? :tongue: I haven't passed my test yet but I'm looking at cars. I can't imagine myself doing over 10000 a year though! :tongue:
    where do i drive?
    well, i regularly travel to home country of lithuania (usually once a month, sometimes twice a month) to see my brothers and sisters,but i have fear of flying so i have to drive to dover, take ferry to calais, and then drive all the way from there to my siblings ^^ every journey is just over 1,000 miles EACH WAY, and takes pretty much the whole day to complete.
    also i drive to uni + back 3 days a week, and drive to work + back another 3 days a week.... it all adds up :].

but, hey, i love my driving,and i love my siblings - and no fear of flying shall prohibit me from seeing them ;D

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.