Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking into doing radiography, paramedic studies or any similar courses. Does anybody have any other suggestions for courses associated with the NHS without the entry standards being ridiculously high for my standards e.g AAA/AAB?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolton)
    Hi, I'm looking into doing radiography, paramedic studies or any similar courses. Does anybody have any other suggestions for courses associated with the NHS without the entry standards being ridiculously high for my standards e.g AAA/AAB?
    Cheers
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/ahp.shtml

Make sure you are really settled on a role before you apply to university. Do some work experience.

Make sure you make the right choice.

I was studying Diagnostic Radiography, but found it to be very uninspiring and there was no job satisfaction at all for me. Im doing biomedical science now and couldnt be happier, so again, make the right choice!!!

ReputationRep:
    What does biomedical science include? What grades does it require and must you do a science at A/level? Also where are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    You could also look at something like nursing or physiotherapy maybe? You should try out different work experiences if possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolton)
    What does biomedical science include? What grades does it require and must you do a science at A/level? Also where are you studying?
    Biomedical Science mainly consists of the laboratory investigation of disease. Understanding a disease and how to diagnose it from laboratory techniques.

In my first year we did:
    Biochemistry
    Key Lab skills
    Anatomy and Physiology
    Microbiology
    Immunology
    Cell Biology and Genetics

In my current second year:
    Medical Biochemistry
    Disorders of cells and tissues (mainly cancer and haematology)
    Medical microbiology and public health
    Qualitative and quantitative methods in analysis
    Molecular cell biology
    Research methods

Next year im doing a funded placement year in an NHS lab (to get my IBMS certificate of competence)

In the final year I think the course entails:
    Research project (dissertation)
    Bioinformatics
    Biology of cancer and aging
    Virology
    Laboratory investigation of disease.

Most places ask for ABB or BBB, you must do biology and chemistry (but may vary between universities)

I'm studying at University of Wales Institute Cardiff. I got in with CDD in my A-levels, my personal statement was what got me an unconditional offer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.