Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We've just read Candide ou l'optisme by Voltaire and quite enjoyed it. Except now we have to do coursework. I was wondering what people thought of the book? I found Candide a very annoying character...he spent the whole book searching for Cunégonde and then when he found her and discovered she was ugly he didn't want her anymore!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bottekrank)
    he spent the whole book searching for Cunégonde and then when he found her and discovered she was ugly he didn't want her anymore!!
    Yes, that's about right, but I feel you've missed a little of the irony. Just here and there.

ReputationRep:
    His Philosophical Dictionary ( neither particularly philosophical nor a dictionary ) is amusing
    http://history.hanover.edu/texts/voltaire/volindex.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Yes, that's about right, but I feel you've missed a little of the irony. Just here and there.
    Just a bit. :P

ReputationRep:
    We've just read Candide ou l'optisme by Voltaire and quite enjoyed it. Except now we have to do coursework. I was wondering what people thought of the book? I found Candide a very annoying character...he spent the whole book searching for Cunégonde and then when he found her and discovered she was ugly he didn't want her anymore!!
    I think the point is that Candide is annoying due to his naivety. Voltaire wrote another book with a very similar character called L'ingénu. I think French students reading him should check out L'ingénu just because it will impress your teacher or an examiner if you mention things out of that book too. The two are very similar.

ReputationRep:
    I found Candide a very annoying character...he spent the whole book searching for Cunégonde and then when he found her and discovered she was ugly he didn't want her anymore!!
    Yes. That's the point. Think of all the other examples of irony. Pangloss talking about the bay being designed for the death of the anabaptist etc. Having a naive character at the centre of the story is a favoured technique for creating satire too (think of Gulliver for example). It allows the author to satirise folly and pride.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.