The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Student support Application

Ok, my mum has made an account and filled her details in, i've not yet completed my stuff yet because a few things to sort out.

Every time my mum clicks on support a students application it says

Students you are supporting
The person(s) listed below have advised that you will be providing financial information in support their student finance application. Please check that this information is correct and follow the advice shown for 'Your next steps'

Your supported students
You are not linked to any student <<<< why is that? how do i get mum to support my application?????

Many thanks
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Same thing here, i don't know what to do either I guess I need to send in stuff??? but I'm confused too
Reply 2
Original post by Casshern1456
Same thing here, i don't know what to do either I guess I need to send in stuff??? but I'm confused too

They haven't asked me to send them anything as of yet.

Its overly confusing, maybe i have to complete everything on my behalf before my mum does anything
Original post by Yas01
They haven't asked me to send them anything as of yet.

Its overly confusing, maybe i have to complete everything on my behalf before my mum does anything

I filled in all my bit and I done my mums one as well and checked through I don't know whats missing but it's not showing up that thing:s-smilie:
Reply 4

I found it, Basically go over

Your student finance application
Your loan
Indicate below the types of financial support you will be applying for

Note: If you have applied for financial support taking into account your household income you will be automatically assessed for a Maintenance Grant.If you wish to receive only the Maintenance grant, answer ‘no’ to both 'Type of financial support' questions.

Information on Bursary Consent:

In order for your university or college to determine and pay any bursary and/or scholarships to which you may be entitled, Student Finance England can share some of the information that you have given on this form, as well as information in relation to your assessment for student finance, with your university or college.
Your decision about consent will not affect your entitlement to any other financial support available.

If you do not consent to Student Finance England sharing this information with your university or college you must answer ‘no’ to the question below.
Type of financial support

Do you want to apply for a Maintenance Loan to cover your living costs while you are studying?
Yes
No
Show help
Students are entitled to a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. The amount that is available depends on the student’s circumstances.

Do you wish to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your course fees? A loan for tuition fees is to help you cover any tuition fee costs that you are unable to meet. This amount will be paid to your university or college.
Yes
No
Show help
Students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover their tuition fee costs. The Student Loans Company (SLC) will pay the Tuition Fee Loan amount you are eligible for directly to the college or university on your behalf. If your Tuition Fee Loan entitlement amount does not cover the full cost of your tuition fees, you must pay the remaining amount to your college or university.

Give consent to share your information

Your university or college may be offering financial awards such as bursaries or scholarships to its students. Do you consent to your information being shared with your university or college specifically for bursary administration purposes?
Yes
No
Show help
Information about data sharing for bursary and scholarship purposes

Universities and colleges offer financial awards such as bursaries or scholarships to their students. To help them administer these awards (i.e. to determine eligibility and entitlement to, and if relevant pay, a bursary or scholarship - "bursary administration purposes") they will ask the Secretary of State, your local authority or Student Loans Company for access to information you provide in connection with this application for student finance (whether on this form or at a later date).

Student Finance England will share the relevant information with them, unless you indicate that you do not wish them to do so by ticking the box on the declaration. If you do not give consent for Student Finance England to share this information, the payment of any bursary or scholarship to which you may be entitled will be delayed.

Save and Continue Save Save and Exit
Service provided by

Your application
About you
Your course
Term time
Your income
Your family
Your parents
Your mother's details
Your loan

You need to go through the following and it will ask for your mothers details again and she will get a email and then she needs to do her bit.

Make sure you save and continue each part you do and if there is a part you cannot fill just click saved so you can move on. DW you application wont be processed not until you have finished everything
Alright I done it now got my mum to support me, basically I submitted it on the 14th and had to wait until SF approved of my mothers application:smile:

You got yours done??
Reply 6
Alright I done it now got my mum to support me, basically I submitted it on the 14th and had to wait until SF approved of my mothers application:smile:

You got yours done??

No i'm having difficulties. What loans have you applied for?

I want maintenance loan
tuition fee loan
and maintenance grant
But for some reason i don't know how to apply for the grant?

I want to double check that my application is all good before submitting it. For some reason my mother cannot continue her application without putting her national insurance in her 'edit profile' section, however it wont allow her to put it, she types it in and it says 'this NI number is already of an existing account' ? so confusing
Original post by Yas01
No i'm having difficulties. What loans have you applied for?

I want maintenance loan
tuition fee loan
and maintenance grant
But for some reason i don't know how to apply for the grant?

I want to double check that my application is all good before submitting it. For some reason my mother cannot continue her application without putting her national insurance in her 'edit profile' section, however it wont allow her to put it, she types it in and it says 'this NI number is already of an existing account' ? so confusing

Existing account?:s-smilie: have you applied before for yourself or a sibling maybe? I would phone up SF tomorrow and get it sorted they were quite quick to deal with my inquiry.

I applied for maintenance loan, tuition fee loan and the grant:tongue: I just applied to them all hah I think it was on the same page[in the box] as "if you want this to include household income or not include it" bit there's a little bar you can move to display the loan.
Reply 8
Existing account?:s-smilie: have you applied before for yourself or a sibling maybe? I would phone up SF tomorrow and get it sorted they were quite quick to deal with my inquiry.

I applied for maintenance loan, tuition fee loan and the grant:tongue: I just applied to them all hah I think it was on the same page[in the box] as "if you want this to include household income or not include it" bit there's a little bar you can move to display the loan.

This is the first time i and my mother have done this, there should be no existing account unless, when i set up my account i set my mothers up separately. However as i was going through my application it says 'your family' i answered the questions regarding my mother and at the end it said my mum had been successfully registered and that she should check her email to support my application and she went to her email and the number code given was the same as the one she set up with. So i really don't know, but yes i will call them 2mo and see what they can do. Hopefully they can guide us through the whole thing

Lol i want the main grant, main loan but i don't see the point of the tuition fee loan because you have to pay it back anyway, i don't see the point it. Basically the finance company whatever they are called pay the university what you owe them, however at then end of your degree you pay the company back not the university, so why do you just pay back the university to begin with whats the point of the loan?
Original post by Yas01
This is the first time i and my mother have done this, there should be no existing account unless, when i set up my account i set my mothers up separately. However as i was going through my application it says 'your family' i answered the questions regarding my mother and at the end it said my mum had been successfully registered and that she should check her email to support my application and she went to her email and the number code given was the same as the one she set up with. So i really don't know, but yes i will call them 2mo and see what they can do. Hopefully they can guide us through the whole thing

Lol i want the main grant, main loan but i don't see the point of the tuition fee loan because you have to pay it back anyway, i don't see the point it. Basically the finance company whatever they are called pay the university what you owe them, however at then end of your degree you pay the company back not the university, so why do you just pay back the university to begin with whats the point of the loan?

If you have the money up front to pay the university which is £3375 or something then it's great cos you don't need to take out a loan and the maintenance grant and loan is enough for you but I can't really afford to pay the university 3k yet as I don't have the money and I do not work so I need to take out a loan, I think the interest rate for undergraduate is standing at 1.5% but will increase significantly only the new reform takes place for next year, all the more reason why I NEED to get into University this year!!:redface: I was looking at the news again and apparently new graduates next year will be paying back around £78,000 in total when they finish uni with an average debt of £43,000. God i would hate to be owing so much money when graduate.
Reply 10
If you have the money up front to pay the university which is £3375 or something then it's great cos you don't need to take out a loan and the maintenance grant and loan is enough for you but I can't really afford to pay the university 3k yet as I don't have the money and I do not work so I need to take out a loan, I think the interest rate for undergraduate is standing at 1.5% but will increase significantly only the new reform takes place for next year, all the more reason why I NEED to get into University this year!!:redface: I was looking at the news again and apparently new graduates next year will be paying back around £78,000 in total when they finish uni with an average debt of £43,000. God i would hate to be owing so much money when graduate.

So wait if we apply this year, we wont have interest added on?

Oh then i guess i need the tuition fee loan. ¬_¬
I've concluded that im going to do what i need to do online and let my mother do it with the paper forms. However i can't work out how my mother supports my application if she does it with the forms and i do it online. :confused:

Oh yeah me too i would hate to be in all the debt, from the student finance how much were you entitled to?
Original post by Yas01
So wait if we apply this year, we wont have interest added on?

Oh then i guess i need the tuition fee loan. ¬_¬
I've concluded that im going to do what i need to do online and let my mother do it with the paper forms. However i can't work out how my mother supports my application if she does it with the forms and i do it online. :confused:

Oh yeah me too i would hate to be in all the debt, from the student finance how much were you entitled to?

Our current rate stands at 1.5% which is tiny tiny:tongue: the mothers bit on the SF is tiny as well it's easy online just login with your mums details and BAM complete!!

My mum earns below the 25k threshold so I'm entitled to the full amount which is Maintenance Loan Maximum £2,381.00
Tuition Fee Loan Maximum £3,375.00
HE Maintenance Grant N/A £2,906.00

Pretty cool hah I'm RICH!!:cool:
Reply 12
Our current rate stands at 1.5% which is tiny tiny:tongue: the mothers bit on the SF is tiny as well it's easy online just login with your mums details and BAM complete!!

My mum earns below the 25k threshold so I'm entitled to the full amount which is Maintenance Loan Maximum £2,381.00
Tuition Fee Loan Maximum £3,375.00
HE Maintenance Grant N/A £2,906.00

Pretty cool hah I'm RICH!!:cool:

Strange because for, Greenwich i would get Main loan - £4,988.00
it hasn't stated my main grant though. Tuition loan - £3,375.00
I take it my grant would be the same as yours
Original post by Yas01
Strange because for, Greenwich i would get Main loan - £4,988.00
it hasn't stated my main grant though. Tuition loan - £3,375.00
I take it my grant would be the same as yours

Oh wow! that's almost 5k for loan:eek:
I'm not sure how they work it out they say it's different for regions like London have a higher grant or something?? maybe it's different for uni:erm:
but I was a little inpatient because my City offer wasn't on their system they told me it's cos City hasn't updated their 2011/12 yet and I filled it using my KCL lol they told me not to worry and complete it as normal I can change it in August when I get my results n stuff...
Reply 14
Oh wow! that's almost 5k for loan:eek:
I'm not sure how they work it out they say it's different for regions like London have a higher grant or something?? maybe it's different for uni:erm:
but I was a little inpatient because my City offer wasn't on their system they told me it's cos City hasn't updated their 2011/12 yet and I filled it using my KCL lol they told me not to worry and complete it as normal I can change it in August when I get my results n stuff...

Lol yeah and even though its almost 5k i don't want it. No way am i paying back 5k plus my tuition fee. I want a higher grant + 3k at least on a loan. Yeah but i swear it said on directgov that if you do not submit your finance by the 31st of may your finance will be late when you start
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yas01
Lol yeah and even though its almost 5k i don't want it. No way am i paying back 5k plus my tuition fee. I want a higher grant + 3k at least on a loan. Yeah but i swear it said on directgov that if you do not submit your finance by the 31st of may your finance will be late when you start

Yeah definitely submit your application before the deadline my mates had loads of trouble with them last year so I'm starting early this year and hopefully complete all this stuff so I can focus on my revision. The university(KCL,City and Greenwich) is all based in London which makes it easier for SF to deal with it because they all have the same grant and stuff so when i get my results all i need to do is confirm which one i want to go to, so atm it's like i can put anyone down really so i can move on with my profile.
Reply 16
Yeah definitely submit your application before the deadline my mates had loads of trouble with them last year so I'm starting early this year and hopefully complete all this stuff so I can focus on my revision. The university(KCL,City and Greenwich) is all based in London which makes it easier for SF to deal with it because they all have the same grant and stuff so when i get my results all i need to do is confirm which one i want to go to, so atm it's like i can put anyone down really so i can move on with my profile.

Yeah i just have a lot to go through, just want to make sure my part is done correctly and once that is i'll move onto my mums applications and make sure it all works out. I also have to renew my passport for SF so im doing that 2mo also, which should be done in two weeks i hope.
Reply 17
I need some HELP..

My aunt only went and submitted my application, where my household income wont be checked.. and now im worried im not going to get full amount or be able to get a maintenance grant.. im not sure what to do? can you cancel your application and start again sort of thing? :/
Original post by shanzomg
I need some HELP..

My aunt only went and submitted my application, where my household income wont be checked.. and now im worried im not going to get full amount or be able to get a maintenance grant.. im not sure what to do? can you cancel your application and start again sort of thing? :/

Perhaps you can phone student finance tomorrow and tell them you want to make amendments on your application.
Reply 19

Perhaps you can phone student finance tomorrow and tell them you want to make amendments on your application.

I phoned them yesterday, and they want me to send a council tax bill, but im just not clear on if it will be sorted. best ringing again aint it.. you dont know if they ahve an email address do you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending