Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi All,
    I started University this year and I think I am in threat of failing the year. To be honest, I know for a fact that I could have done a lot better, but I left essays until the last minute, missed lectures etc but I just feel so unmotivated and tired all the time.

I feel as though nobody cares about how well I do, and because nobody cares then there's no point. I can honestly say there is not one tutor I feel I can talk to about how I am feeling. I don't enjoy my course, and I told my seminar tutor that I was thinking about changing courses before christmas, and asked for some advice. I heard nothing back. I feel my views are getting squashed and because of this I feel that I can't express myself, so when I don't understand something I just keep my mouth shut. My university is so unorganised, they lost one of my assignments and claimed I never gave it in (this is sorted now) and nobody knows what anyone else is doing.

I can't seem to get out of bed in a morning, I make any excuse not to go in because the thought of it makes me sad. I have been ill so many times from stress and have been suffering from mood swings. I went to the doctor about it and she just told me I was too young to get down and changed my contraceptive pill. I havn't made any friends, just a few people I'll talk to every now and again. I don't live in halls.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been through anything similar, and what they did, or if anyone had any advice. I am on the verge of dropping out, but I have no idea what I would do. My course leads to a career that I know I want to be in, this is just a means to an end.

I went through something pretty similar my first year of Uni, I know it seems horrible atm but you will get out of this situation soon. Tbh from the sounds of it, you're pretty low and depressed about the whole thing- I have been there. I know it's hard, but the longer you leave it without doing anything about it, the worse it will get.

Is there anyone you can talk to about it? A parent, friend, perhaps one of your lecturers (perhaps not your seminar tutor as they seemed pretty useless) or do you have a personal tutor at all?

You pretty much described exactly my first year at uni, and I wish i'd spoken up sooner about feeling so helpless and sad. In the end I dropped out and reapplied for a different course and I'm currently waiting to get back to Uni and I'm far happier than I was even 6 months ago

Please talk to someone about it, it really helps just getting it off your chest- Inbox me if you want a chat

It's never too late to make friends

You are your greatest asset, and your worst enemy. Think about what made you apply for University, likewise your course in the first place.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.