Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone been accepted into a PGCE course (wanting a 2.1 grade) with a 2.2 grade? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to apply for a PGCE secondary in Drama this year. Most of the uni's im intending to apply to (Cardiff, Reading, Aberyswth so far) ask for at least a 2.1 in a drama degree. All my practical assessments (performing, doing presentations etc.) are 2.1's with one performance being a first. Though most of my written stuff are high 2.2's, with one essay worth 15% of my degree being a third (45 mark). I'm just wondering with current 2.2 grades will a uni be more likely to reject you rather than consider you even though you have had previous work experience? Cheeers xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xLivingXDeadXDolliex)
    Hey, I want to apply for a PGCE secondary in Drama this year. Most of the uni's im intending to apply to (Cardiff, Reading, Aberyswth so far) ask for at least a 2.1 in a drama degree. All my practical assessments (performing, doing presentations etc.) are 2.1's with one performance being a first. Though most of my written stuff are high 2.2's, with one essay worth 15% of my degree being a third (45 mark). I'm just wondering with current 2.2 grades will a uni be more likely to reject you rather than consider you even though you have had previous work experience? Cheeers xx
    Work experience is the most important aspect of your application. But you have to understand that most applicants will have a reasonable amount of work experience so universities set academic requirements for two reasons. One, to ensure that you are capable of completing academics aspects of the course, especially those at masters level. Two, to reduce the number of applicants, especially on popular programmes. Whether you got higher marks in more practical aspects of your programme is irrelevant as they will just judge everything as academic, thus see your performance as inconsisent.

If your referee suggests that you will get a 2.2 and Cardiff say they want a 2.1 I cannot see you getting anything other than a rejection unless you have lots of practical experience (i.e. in schools). With the other universities, there are geographical issues which influence the competitiveness of their selection so your chance might be even lower (i.e. Reading, because it is relatively close to London) or higher (i.e. Aber., because it is isolated and no one wants to go live there for a year) than Cardiff.

I hope this helped.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think the government is bringing in something where we need to have 2:1's. It said that in the TES. It isnt here this year but might be next year??

I think you are best looking at the uni's and deciding which do your course and you'd like to go to the most and give them a call and ask them. Uni's differ, for example Derby wanted primary experience prior to applying, Leicester wanted 'working with children' experience and have given primary experience as a condition of the place.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer from Derby last Monday as they were given 5 extra spots on their PGCE and for it I just need a 2.2, I will be going for a 2.1 but all they are asking for is that. However, I do have over 30 days work experience in schools, I teach swimming and other sports and I work at kids holiday clubs too.

I think if you have the right experience a 2.2 is fine.

Hope this helps a little

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview with UWIC before christmas and got my offer in at the beginning of January. I applied for Secondary Biology and the offer was a just to pass with honours. I was pretty shocked that was my offer because my referee predicted me a first so I called to check and they said that was definitely my offer.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.