Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've been looking around for the best student current account online, and found that Loyds TSB suited my needs best. I've had a current account with HSBC since I was little (because of my parents), but it isn't doing anything for me other than keeping my money safe. I'm on a gap year and started saving up money for uni, and have about £3,000 saved up already from work. I opened a Natwest e-savings account because it had the best interest rate for instant access savings.

I went to a Loyds TSB branch this morning and asked to open a student account, and had all the required details with me (ID, proof of address, UCAS comfirmation of offer ect..). We went through all the forms, and then when the branch staff tried to process the application, the lady came back and said it had been declined because my parents didn't have a current account with Loyds TSB. Now, I find this completely ridiculous that my parents have anything to do with me opening an account when I am 19. I get that it's risky for them to loan overdraft money to a stranger, but that's what student banking is all about!

Has this happened to anyone else?

The lady suggested I should open a normal current account and that MAYBE I would be able to upgrade to a student account, but she seemed doubtful, and I don't want to waste my time or any potential interest I'd be getting in my other accounts. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about this sort of thing, but can't you get student accounts at HSBC?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it has happened to me with Halifax. The best thing to do is go to the bank you have a current account already with and tell them you want to open a separate student account to put your loans into so that the money being paid in by the SLC and the money taken out by the uni for accommodation doesn't get mixed up with your own personal money.

Its due to credit checks unbelievably. I too was amazed as I've never been overdrawn and my credit rating is perfect as is my parents. Its because most student accounts offer you an overdraft and one of the ways they make decisions is based on your spending habits. They're not going to give an interest free overdraft to someone who is irresponsible with money. It did kind of annoy me considering I had to answer dozens of questions before I was then told that it was rejected. A complete waste of time to be honest.

You're best bet is to try with Natwest. I had to go to Barclays who I have my current account with and tell them what I wanted to do. They said there shouldn't be a problem as I've had a current account with them for a few years and my spending habits have been great so therefore I'll be trusted.

Its a bit stupid in my opinion. Why offer an overdraft to students to get them to come and apply for an account and then reject them on the basis that you don't trust them with the overdraft you offered in the first place? it doesn't make sense to me either.

I too was thinking of applying for a basic current account with another bank but then what if the SLC decide to pay late and I need to pay for accommodation, the interest free overdraft could be vital until the SLC get up to speed with payments.

All the best I know how annoying it is!

ReputationRep:
    How long do you think I would need to bank with Loyds TSB before they allowed me to open a student bank account?

ReputationRep:
    Probably because you can't spell "Lloyds"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Probably because you can't spell "Lloyds"
    rofl lmfao aatst

ReputationRep:
    i got a student account with lloyds.. and my account was always with halifax before that, my parents do not have an account with lloyds either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbutterflyx)
    i got a student account with lloyds.. and my account was always with halifax before that, my parents do not have an account with lloyds either
    Really? When did you open it?

ReputationRep:
    I had a current account with Alliance and Leicester, which became Santander. They'd given me a £500 overdraft. I then applied for a student account with them, and was rejected on grounds of my credit check.

Banks work in mysterious ways.

ReputationRep:
    last year, i'm in my first year now, maybe they've changed it :s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.