Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Spread 2.2.6 the effect of temperature on resistivity......
    Question is:
    A thermistor is connected through a switch to a 12 V power supply of negligible resistance. When the switch is closed the initial current is 14 mA a few minutes later it has risen to a constant 20mA
    a) explain why the current rises
    b) does the thermistor dissipate more power initially or after it has been left for some tim? Why?

I'm stuck and the textbook has no answers. I have a rough idea if what it may be but I'm not really sure, if you can help it would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    For this question, it tells you there is a thermistor. It also tells that the current has risen from 14mA to 20mA.

Thermistors resistance decreases with a rise in temperature. The current flowing through a circuit increases the temperature of the components in the circuit the longer it is left on.

a) I=V/R, If R(Resistance), decreases then I(current) will be greater.
    b)For this you should be able to refer to the equation P=V^2/R. Again a smaller R will give a greater P(Power). Since the resistance is lower for the thermistor after it has been left for time, it will be the latter.

(sorry if theres any mistakes)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.