Turn on thread page Beta

Blood test results... watch

ReputationRep:
    I been feeling really tired all the time, majorly depressed, chest pain and my hair had been falling out - one dr put me on anti depressants...and another dr thought it was best for me to have a general blood test so they could rule out if i had anything physically wrong.

things that came up on it were:

Low thyroid levels
    Low iron levels
    and high liver enzymes

Just wondering if any of these would have caused the depression?! as a lot of the time I feel depressed but don't know why. I've got an appointment with the dr tomorrow but wondering if anyone else has had a blood test with similar results and what the outcome was for you?

The thyroid is linked to depression, especially the hypothyroidism..which you have.

ReputationRep:
    Well the low thyroid levels would have definitely brought you down. My mum felt very slow and down after she gave birth to me, and dad though that she had postnatal depression. She actually had an underactive thyroid that had only 'triggered' after the stress of giving birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I been feeling really tired all the time, majorly depressed, chest pain and my hair had been falling out - one dr put me on anti depressants...and another dr thought it was best for me to have a general blood test so they could rule out if i had anything physically wrong.

Low thyroid levels
    Low iron levels
    and high liver enzymes

Just wondering if any of these would have caused the depression?! as a lot of the time I feel depressed but don't know why. I've got an appointment with the dr tomorrow but wondering if anyone else has had a blood test with similar results and what the outcome was for you?
    Yup, low thyroid levels can easily cause depression, from what I've read.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i don't know much about hypothyroidsm but i always thought someone with low levels were quite big!? or put on weight!? or is it not always the case.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully you'll find that when your iron and thyroid levels improve, you'll feel generally healthier which will do wonders for your mood.

ReputationRep:
    Low iron can make you tired, so that explains that.

And if everyone is right about the thyroid then your depression might be explained - but wait til you get to the doctor to find out for definate Whatever it is, they'll be able to help you. Make sure you mention this depression to them, because even if it isn't linked, then they'll be able to help with that too

ReputationRep:
    ah yeah hopefully if the levels improve the depression will also!!

Does anyone get what it means by high liver enzymes!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised they put you on antidepressants first, they should really have ruled out physical causes before that. But like everyone said, your depression could well be caused by your underactive thyroid.

ReputationRep:
    Could your depression be linked to your tiredness. When I'm fatigued and generally feeling ****ty I feel quite down too.

That's probably absurd but I thought I'd throw it out there.

EDIT:

And the link between the low thyroid and depression.

hmm i don't know much about hypothyroidsm but i always thought someone with low levels were quite big!? or put on weight!? or is it not always the case.
    Not necessarily, they are just more prone to becoming overweight and therefore have a stricter diet. Thyroid levels *uck up your hormones, hence the depression and low energy. My sister had it, as soon as she started treatment she went back to normal.

By the way, do you take enough iodine from your diet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Not necessarily, they are just more prone to becoming overweight and therefore have a stricter diet. Thyroid levels *uck up your hormones, hence the depression and low energy. My sister had it, as soon as she started treatment she went back to normal.

By the way, do you take enough iodine from your diet?
    ah yeah now that you said that I do notice i put weight on quicker so i do have a strict diet and exercise a lot but i'm like a size 10-12 so not really skinny/fat.

what sort of foods have iodine in?! sorry i really don't know anything about this area... i know i'm doing nursing too haha.

ReputationRep:

Low thyroid levels
    Low iron levels
    and high liver enzymes

Yes anemia can cause depression too

ah yeah now that you said that I do notice i put weight on quicker so i do have a strict diet and exercise a lot but i'm like a size 10-12 so not really skinny/fat.

what sort of foods have iodine in?! sorry i really don't know anything about this area... i know i'm doing nursing too haha.
    Usually the fishy ones In much smaller quantities it can be found in dairy products. If you are not a seafood eater, the best way to top up your iodine levels is to use iodised salt, but don't over do it.

Don't go crazy about it yet, because your doctor has to find out exactly what is going on with your thyroid and if low levels of iodine are responsible for your low thyroid levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Could your depression be linked to your tiredness. When I'm fatigued and generally feeling ****ty I feel quite down too.

That's probably absurd but I thought I'd throw it out there.

EDIT:

And the link between the low thyroid and depression.

hmm thats a good point... i'm always feeling tired and generally ill/run down so never seem to have any energy to do anything. I thought it was all in my head - like my friends/family say to me 'your always ill' so maybe it has led to feeling depressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Usually the fishy ones In much smaller quantities it can be found in dairy products. If you are not a seafood eater, the best way to top up your iodine levels is to use iodised salt, but don't over do it.

Don't go crazy about it yet, because your doctor has to find out exactly what is going on with your thyroid and if low levels of iodine are responsible for your low thyroid levels.

ooooh thanks for the info, i hate any kind of seafood and never eat any!

but yeahh i'll find out from my dr tomorrow hopefully, just nice to understand what he's talking about if he does mention about iodine levels.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.